17 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 07:38 AM

Say you have a couple of photos. maybe about 20 photos, you want to move to another folder that maybe more descriptive then the one they are currently in (downloading photos from a camera put them in nondescript folders)  Instead of clicking on each file to select it and then cut it or copy the files you simply click in the folder hold down the left mouse button and move the mouse pointer in a loop around the files.  One click instead of 20.  Once the files are selected you can choose weather you want to cut or copy them to the other folder.  You can also drag and drop the file to the other folder as well. 

Most of the time when I'm dealing with multiple files doing the same operation I lasso them it is just easier for me and I think simpler.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to rename the folder than to move a bunch of files ?

• mariets69 and patlv3 have said thanks

#17 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 10:48 AM

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to rename the folder than to move a bunch of files ?

Yes if the folder is at the level you want and you don't already have a folder with that name. 

An example would be You have just returned from a family vacation and the camera is full of photos from your vacation.  So you down load the photos to Pictures -> 081615 but you want it in family vacation 2015 then yes it would be easier to just change the name of the folder 081615 to family vacation 2015.

But lets say you have a folder structure something like this Pictures ->family ->Vacations->2015  So your choice would be to either change the download folder in your camera software or move the photos.  So in this case you would have to either copy or cut them and paste them into the folder you want or you could change the Name of the folder 081615 to 2015 then drag it under Pictures ->family ->Vacations-><folder dropped here> but I think we are now getting a bit complicated for some.

What ever method that you prefer and works for you is fine, but just realize there is more then one way to do things on a computer just like there is more then one method of doing things on a tractor.  Case in point do a search here on carburetor cleaning there are quite a few methods but the end result is still the same a clean carburetor.  But you may get a carburetor that your normal method does not work on so if you know other methods that gives you a better chance of getting that carburetor clean.  It's the same with computers the more ways you know how to do something the better your chances are of getting the end result your after.

#18 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 10:54 AM

I was out looking at the weekly Distro watch newsletter and noticed they have started a glossary database on technical terms.  Although the glossary is Mainly for terms used with Linux many of them also apply to computers in general or other operating systems.

So the next time you read something about computers and your not sure what it means go here , there is a good chance it will be there.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you