Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Computer terms

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 11:16 AM

Recently there have been several posts of members not understanding what is being said in technology threads.  So I thought I would start a thread and pin it on terms used in today's technology for reference.

This by no means is all inclusive so Please feel free to add to it.  When adding please note what technology your are referring to.  Also if you could add a brief description of what the term means would be helpful to those not familiar with the industry.

Here are a few terms that I thought of off the top of my head:

OS = Operating system - An operating system is a series of instructions tell the computer how to function as a computer. Without the OS you would have nothing but a dump box.  There are/have been many different Operating systems through out the years.  DOS (Disk Operating System), Windows, Windows NT, Unix, Solaris, Linux, BSD, OS X, Apple OS and the list goes on.

HDD = Hard Disk Drive - This is the storage device inside a computer that stores your data, OS, and applications.  It is basically considered old school since this design has been since the inception of Hard drives in computers.  It uses metallic disks coated with a magnetic material and an arm that hovers over the disk. Due to its design, mechanical, it is relatively slow compared to an SSD.

SSD = Solid State Drive - This is like the HDD but does not use moving parts and totally electronic. Which make is much faster then the HDD. This design is relatively new compared to how long the HDD has been around and is still maturing and growing.  An SSD can be anything from an internal storage device to a thumb drive.  Smart phones also use SSD storage.

ROM = Read Only Memory - Rom is a chip on your mother board that contains just enough instructions to tell the box (computer) to look for an HDD or SSD to get started. The instructions are flashed on to the chip and are considered permanent.

RAM = Random Access Memory - This is the memory we usually talk about when discussing computers.  It is generally considered the more memory the better because the more data you can load.  This memory is also dynamic in that it is wiped clean on shut down or power failure so this is why it is recommended you save your work on a regular schedule to the storage device. 

Cloud = "Cloud computing is a model for enabling ubiquitous network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources"  In other words basically cloud computing allows you to store your data on another computers storage device some where on the internet.  Some examples are Dropbox, photo bucket etc.  Also Google Docs is a form that is becoming popular because it not only will store your documents but is also provides the applications to create them so you will always have the latest stable version of the software.  Cloud storage is nice for storing documents you want to share with others or access on different computers.  I use Dropbox to store my technical documents so I have access to them on both my shop and office computer's. I can also create a shared folder and send someone a link to it so they can have access to the document.

URL = Uniform Resource Locator - in easy terms this is the street address for web sites on the internet.  Just like you need a street address to find a business or a friend the computer needs an address to find a web site.

IP = Internet protocol address -  An IP is the address of your computer on a network. Just like the URL the IP does the same thing except it give each computer a unique address so the network software can find the computer it is supposed to.  An IP is not only used on the internet but also on closed networks like a business would use or one you may have in your home.

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, lyall and 7 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 02:43 PM

Thanks Bill. Having never taken a computer course, I have learned more about computers on GTtalk than elsewhere.
  • Alc, HDWildBill and Bill 76 have said thanks

#3 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 03:33 PM

Well that helps me a bunch---but I 'am  still trying to find me a pencil that will write on the new tablet my wife gave me last Christmas.

Heck I didn't touch a computer until I was 45 years old and that used 5 inch floppys----lots to learn.

• Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 06:05 PM

This is a great start.  To many people assume that everyone else knows what the latest terminology is for computers, fart phones , etc.  Definitely not the case.  I have been around computers ever since the Vic 20 came out, then the 3" disc, then the 5 1/2" disc, and on.  But all the new terms is way above and beyond what I have ever heard, seen or understood.  Guess I am just old fashion.

• OldBuzzard, Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 09:25 PM

Computers, the web and their associated technologies are hard for this ol' fart to keep up with!!
Mike

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 10:15 PM

This is a great start.  To many people assume that everyone else knows what the latest terminology is for computers, fart phones , etc.  Definitely not the case.  I have been around computers ever since the Vic 20 came out, then the 3" disc, then the 5 1/2" disc, and on.  But all the new terms is way above and beyond what I have ever heard, seen or understood.  Guess I am just old fashion.

Danged noobie :rolling:  :rolling: :rolling:  

I started programming in Assembler Language on the IBM 360 Mod 20 in 1968 :D :D :D

I was also working on Unit Record Equipment which was pre digital computer technology that used relays and rotary switches to do the calculations, and were programmed using a control panel with jumper wires. :loosing_it:

The technology has advanced so far, and so fast that even some of us old timers have trouble keeping up.

• ducky, HDWildBill, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#7 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 07:29 AM

GUI - Graphical User Interface - the part of the software that the user interacts with on the screen

Motherboard - AKA Mobo - the central piece of hardware that is home for hardware controllers, RAM, CPU, and often video processor. The Mobo uses UEFI or BIOS to function

CPU - Central Processing Unit - the brain of the computer that does the "work" of the computer

BIOS - Basic Input / Output System - allows the various components of the system to communicate and work together

UEFI - Unified Extensible Firmware Interface

PATA - Parallel AT Attachment - interface used to connect SSD, HDD, or optical drives to mobo replaced by SATA

SATA - Serial AT Attachment - interface used to connect SSD, HDD, or optical drives to mobo

• Bruce Dorsi, sacsr and HDWildBill have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 09:02 AM

When you are in File manager and wish to do something with a group of files the first thing you need to do is highlight them.  There are several ways in which to do this.  If you wish to high light all of them you can select the first file, hold down the shift key and click on the last file.  All the files are now selected.

If you wish to only select a few files you can click on the first file then hold down the CTRL key and select the other files you wish to select. 

You can also lasso the files.  To do this put the mouse pointer over the folder then hold down the left mouse button and circle the files.  Once you get some practice you can do partial lasso's as well.

Files = All data on a computer is stored in files.  They can be different format like photos, Documents, etc but all are files.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#9 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 09:17 AM

You can also lasso the files.  To do this put the mouse pointer over the folder then hold down the left mouse button and circle the files.  Once you get some practice you can do partial lasso's as well.

OK - another computer dummy here (me)!  .....I've been on a computer for over 20 years, but only function at my level.  ....Just as I learn something old, something new comes along, so it's difficult for me to keep up.  ....I only use my computer for research, accounting, and reading forums, so I don't need the newest, latest, fastest, or best equipment and programs.

I have 20, 17, & 9 year-old vehicles that I drive.  ....My lawn & garden equipment is 20+ years old.  .....That should show my dislike for the newest technology. 

Why would I want to "lasso" a file, and what do I do with it after I lasso it?   ......I have not heard this term used before in connection with computer files.

This thread will prove useful to many of us!  - Thanks!

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 02:10 PM

Say you have a couple of photos. maybe about 20 photos, you want to move to another folder that maybe more descriptive then the one they are currently in (downloading photos from a camera put them in nondescript folders)  Instead of clicking on each file to select it and then cut it or copy the files you simply click in the folder hold down the left mouse button and move the mouse pointer in a loop around the files.  One click instead of 20.  Once the files are selected you can choose weather you want to cut or copy them to the other folder.  You can also drag and drop the file to the other folder as well. 

Most of the time when I'm dealing with multiple files doing the same operation I lasso them it is just easier for me and I think simpler.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 04:54 PM

Danged noobie :rolling:  :rolling: :rolling:  

I started programming in Assembler Language on the IBM 360 Mod 20 in 1968 :D :D :D

I was also working on Unit Record Equipment which was pre digital computer technology that used relays and rotary switches to do the calculations, and were programmed using a control panel with jumper wires. :loosing_it:

The technology has advanced so far, and so fast that even some of us old timers have trouble keeping up.

When I started programming it was Basic on friggin punch cards..  It all started with 0 (off) and 1 (on)...  It was fun carrying around those decks of cards all over campus!  If you dropped the deck you had to sort them all out by card # and retype any card that was damaged..  What a PITA!

We had a 'State of the art' IBM computer on campus that had tape drives and a desk-sized CPU that filled up a small building..  It had far less power than any laptop we use today..  Unfortunately they wanted me to learn calculus and the friiggin 'exceptions' were my demise..  I couldn't remember them all..  I still suffer from CRS still but am literate enough to understand what the dang thing is doing enough to stay out of trouble..  

• HDWildBill said thank you

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 07:00 PM

Lassoing files ? ?   But what if the files are not all together and scattered out through out the folder?  The one click on each one would be much faster I my opinion.  To my way of thinking, if the files are all together it would be quicker and easier to click on one file, hold down the shift key and slide the cursor down to the last one and release the keys.  Not sure I would go for this lassoing bit.

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 07:12 PM

In computing there are normally more then one way to do things, usually 2 or 3.  Which ever way you prefer works.  I just like to lasso that files and find it much quicker.  As far as them being all together it all depends on how I can sort them sometimes I do have to use the CTRL key method.

• chieffan said thank you

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 07:32 PM

Just tried that Lasso bit and when I click on one file it is highlighted, move it around the others and it highlights and changes color and back to home.  Release the key and nothing is highlighted or selected.  Probably only works with a stylus on a touch screen or some fang dangled thing like that.  Probably takes a special program to do it to.

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 09:09 PM

Never played with .Lasso files..  Just Explorer and File trees from the Root directory..  

Click in the folder you want the files moved from and hit-  CTRL-A (Select All)  Selects everything in the folder and Right-click select 'Cut' in the highlighted area and it puts the files into Virtual memory to be used later..  Then you click on the new folder you created or wherever you want to put the files and (right-click on the desired folder & select 'Paste' or CTRL- V to move the files there.  Moving files around is easy once you do it a gazillion times or so..  

After years & years of digital picture files I've stored I make new monthly and yearly folders (I'll store events that way too) to keep things straight chronologically..  It took me a while to figure out (I used to dump them in the Pictures folder :wallbanging: ) that it was the best way to keep it straight..