16 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 10:53 AM

I would never even try this in August most years, but we have been getting enough rain I think it will work. Had plenty of tall fescue seed so I sowed over the current stand.
Sowed tall fescue last fall as a cover crop, it never came up until I had planted 8 rows of sweet corn here this spring?
Out of 8 rows only 20 plants germinated? In fact it took 3 plantings in different places to get one decent stand?
In another thread Lauber ! said I was planting the melons and pumpkins too close together.
So next year I intend to till(have a 48 inch tiller only the strips where I am planting the melons an pumpkins in rows 6 ft apart and mowing between the rows.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 13, 2015 - 09:15 PM.

• Alc, Lauber1, FrozenInTime and 1 other said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 02:11 PM

With the wet weather we have had in this part of the country I don't think anyone's garden what it normally would.  I know ours sure didn't.  I sprayed a big part of it again yesterday with Round-up.  Darn giant foxtail just keeps coming back.  Every time it comes back I spray it again.  Got to run out of seed some time.  Only thing left here is tomatoes, and they are real watery, cucumbers, sweet potatoes and maybe a pumpkin or two.  Some place there may be some muskmelon in the weeds I didn't spray.

I sure would not be planting any grass seed in a garden.  Grass is a weed in a garden.  It was so wet all this year that the Preen did not work well either.

• Alc and JD DANNELS have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 02:35 PM

I tried something like what your doing a few years ago in my regular garden row crop ,doing wide beds with rye in between . That didn't work too well for those type of plants I had walk on the rye so much , it died quickly then the weeds grew in with it . For my cucumbers , squash I planted them in a long 80' mound right next to the yard so there going into the grass , I think that's how yours will end up . Will the grass your planted be permanent ?
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 03:30 PM

So DRY here this year garden didn't do squat!

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 04:16 PM

I always struggle with the grass creeping into the garden. I like to keep my end rows in a bit to allow for a mulched area to keep it in control.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 06:48 PM

I tried something like what your doing a few years ago in my regular garden row crop ,doing wide beds with rye in between . That didn't work too well for those type of plants I had walk on the rye so much , it died quickly then the weeds grew in with it . For my cucumbers , squash I planted them in a long 80' mound right next to the yard so there going into the grass , I think that's how yours will end up . Will the grass your planted be permanent ?

My thought is for it to be more or less permanent. By that I mean in a couple years, rotating by planting the current rows to grass, or eventually white clover, and tilling the area that had been grass.
I used the seed I had. I would have sowed white clover if I had the seed.
  • Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 07:31 PM

I sure would not be planting any grass seed in a garden. Grass is a weed in a garden. It was so wet all this year that the Preen did not work well either.

By conventional thinking I would agree. In fact I am just beginning to think of trying something else. 28 yrs in the business world has proven to me that the biggest prevention to growth is the expression "we have always done it that way".
Is it a good idea to till the whole garden, leaving the areas between the. Crops open and exposed to erosion?
Would grass strips between the rows slow water and washing out? My property is 9 acres of one big hill.
Would grass strips hold more water in the garden instead of running off?
Why haul mulch, when you can grow living mulch between the rows?
Is it a waste of fuel and energy to till areas not in production?
Alright may burn just as much fuel, mowing, but I can even mow wet grass while I am waiting for it to dry enough to run a tiller.
Is it popular to track dirt and mud into your wife's house,when you could tend the crops standing on nicely mowed strips?
The list could go on and on, I have the land, time and very little money.
So why not try it? The worst that could happen is I am altogether wrong, and have to go back to the conventional way I always have.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 13, 2015 - 08:03 PM.

• Alc and shorty have said thanks

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 09:32 PM

Is it popular to track dirt and mud into your wife's house,when you could tend the crops standing on nicely mowed strips?

So why not try it? The worst that could happen is I am altogether wrong, and have to go back to the conventional way I always have.

I know and don't ask me how, it is not good to track any dirt into the house. :( It can strain the relationship real quick....

Sounds like you have thought it through, and like you said, why not.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 09:41 PM

I know and don't ask me how, it is not good to track any dirt into the house. :( It can strain the relationship real quick....
Sounds like you have thought it through, and like you said, why not.

Well I sure do not have all the answers, just those and a lot more questions!
So I am going to try it, spent 28 yrs in sales and customer service, am used to failure and rejection.
Nothing new if it does not work, just move on to Plan B. That works ok till you run through the whole alphabet and have to add numerals to the plan Id.
  • shorty said thank you

#10 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 02:40 AM

I would never even try this in August most years, but we have been getting enough rain I think it will work. Had plenty of tall fescue seed so I sowed over the current stand.
Sowed tall fescue last fall as a cover crop, it never came up until I had planted 8 rows of sweet corn here this spring?
Out of 8 rows only 20 plants germinated? In fact it took 3 plantings in different places to get one decent stand?
In another thread Lauber ! said I was planting the melons and pumpkins too close together.
So next year I intend to till(have a 48 inch tiller only the strips where I am planting the melons an pumpkins in rows 6 ft apart and mowing between the rows.

I know it's tough, but they should be as far away from each other as you can, so you don't get cross pollination, or a least time it out that they are not in blossum at the same time.

• Alc said thank you

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 05:45 AM

Have you ever read about " no till melons " ? From what I've read it works ok if you can get a good bed of mulch to grow in . Then only dig a hole for each hill . What you planing is the same as I've being trying to do . The long row that I planted potatoes in the last few years has gotten too weedy even though I've been planting in the mulch without tilling . I'll move the growing row over a few feet when I cut the sorghum grass . Where the potatoes are now will get winter rye then that will get sorghum next year though if the buckwheat works out as a week depressor in the other garden I might try it here .

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 07:00 AM

Hope you don't mine me posting some pictures of my garden in your thread but thought it might help with what I was trying to explain . The first picture is in spring when I cut the winter rye and used it for mulch at the edge of the garden and near the middle where the potatoes where planted last year . The second is the old garden area that I'm trying to use buckwheat to ward off the weeds , I let the buckwheat go to seed then cur/tilled it in , also threw in some sorghum seed because I wasn't sure how much of the buckwheat would take as you can see a lot!!! I hope to till the buckwheat in before it goes to seed , then later it will get planted for the winter cover crop . 3rd pic is where my long row next to the yard area has the cucumbers cauliflower, collards, brussel sprouts, squash growing in the mulch , has some weeds but wasn't too bad . That weedy mess between there and the sorghum is sweet-potatoes and to the right is where my regular potatoes where planted ,harvested them last week but that nice looking mulch in the second pic was so weedy just like the sweet-potatoes .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1407.JPG
  • DSCN1791.JPG
  • DSCN1794.JPG
  • DSCN1795.JPG

Edited by Alc, August 14, 2015 - 08:14 AM.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 08:05 AM

I know it's tough, but they should be as far away from each other as you can, so you don't get cross pollination, or a least time it out that they are not in blossum at the same time.

That may be where I messed up this year? I had squash, pickling cucumbers, pumpkins, muskmelon, honey dew melon and two kinds of watermelon on raised beds 36 inches on center in an area about 25x20 The vines intertwined to the point you can not walk through it. I forgot to post the picture when I started this thread, but the melon patch next year will be about 70x40.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 14, 2015 - 08:10 AM.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 08:07 AM

Have you ever read about " no till melons " ? From what I've read it works ok if you can get a good bed of mulch to grow in . Then only dig a hole for each hill . What you planing is the same as I've being trying to do . The long row that I planted potatoes in the last few years has gotten too weedy even though I've been planting in the mulch without tilling . I'll move the growing row over a few feet when I cut the sorghum grass . Where the potatoes are now will get winter rye then that will get sorghum next year though if the buckwheat works out as a week depressor in the other garden I might try it here .

No I have not read that, but will look it up

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 08:09 AM

Hope you don't mine me posting some pictures of my garden in your thread but thought it might help with what I was trying to explain . The first picture is in spring when I cut the winter rye and used it for mulch at the edge of the garden and near the middle where the potatoes where planted last year . The second is the old garden area that I'm trying to use buckwheat to ward off the weeds , I let the buckwheat go to seed then cur/tilled it in , also threw in some sorghum seed because I wasn't sure how much of the buckwheat would take as you can see a lot!!! I hope to till the buckwheat in before it goes to seed , then later it will get planted for the winter cover crop . 3rd pic is where my long row next to the yard area has the cucumbers cauliflower, collards, beansprouts, squash growing in the mulch , has some weeds but wasn't too bad . That weedy mess between there and the sorghum is sweet-potatoes and to the right is where my regular potatoes where planted ,harvested them last week but that nice looking mulch in the second pic was so weedy just like the sweet-potatoes .

No I sure do not mind your posting pictures! I get lots of ideas from you, and enjoy seeing how you do things.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 14, 2015 - 08:09 AM.

• Alc said thank you