• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dcartie OFFLINE  

dcartie
  • Member No: 74171
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 09:37 AM

This might be the greatest site I've ever found! I'm looking to keep my property trimmed the ,it's cost efficient way possible. I have it push mowed down for the past few years so it's only grass and weeds for about 2-3 acres. I can't afford a large Kubota or atv to pull a brush hog. I'm looking to buy a cub cadet ltz1050 with 24 hp Koehler engine and 50 in 3 blade deck. With the deck at its highest, can it take down the 2 foot or more growth I can expect (at low speed) or will I need to pull a separate cutting deck? And if so, what is a good recommendation?

Up to now I've push mowed (self propelled of course) the thing so I'm leaning on the cub handling it ok, and I don't have to worry about any rocks or saplings.

Thanks!

#2 greenb69 OFFLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 10:14 AM

I have a powerking with a 12 horse Kohler and a 48 inch deck. Had some areas with 3 foot high grass. went over it first with deck all the way up and slowly lowered the deck. Once you get it down and stay after it then it won't be a problem. Make sure it is dry. Like you mentioned, keep in the lower gears and I think you should be okay with the cub. I am sure that others will share their experience with you as there are many on this site with more knowledge on this then myself. Good luck and enjoy the seat time.

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,780 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 11:27 AM

Welcome to GTT. I am not familiar with your Cub but will offer some advise. A garden tractor should be able to handle 3 acres easily. With an older garden tractor you could have several attachments to handle the field. A mower deck will handle most mowing jobs but if the grass is real high it will have a hard time doing a nice job. As said above, mow it more frequently. Most of us find that operating our GTs is relaxing and a "sanity pause" from normal life. There are other attachment such as : sickle mowers, york rakes, tillers and plows, can help clean up the field to make it easier to mow. Most of us are adictted to playing with our "toys". It is a relatively inexpensive hobby(if you shop around) and gets the yard work done. Post pics and ask questions. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 11:36 AM

Welcome to the Forum!!!

I too am unfamiliar with the new Cub, but it should be able to cut what your are wanting. The first cut will look horrible, but let it lay for a few days and cut again, then stay on top of it.

I have an old Sears suburban, it usually has to cut up to 3 foot tall stuff as the field usually get away from me on first cutting due to raining springs.

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,313 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 12:26 PM

Another option is this-  Pay a neighbor who has the right equipment to handle the high growth and take over once it's down..  Cheapest way unless you gotta have the toys!

Where in NY are ya?

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, August 13, 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#6 dcartie OFFLINE  

dcartie
  • Member No: 74171
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the tips! It's a rural property upstate NY I got for a steal but is awesome for hunting and letting the kiddos play in the creeks/pond. At best can get it mowed monthly due to my hectic schedule and due to finances I've just push mowed to give me almost a road in, and wide play area (also to keep the ticks at bay). The cub is 2012 and a great price (therefore I can swing spending the $). If it can't handle the high grass I'll look at the other towable options someone listed above. The neighbor opinion is out since neighbors are hard to find in the area (very rural). I'll post pics for the first cut!

And it'll definitely help my sanity since push mowing 3 acres turns me into a grumpy sweaty mess!

Now all I gotta do is convert my trailer!
  • boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 01:35 PM

I would ferritt around on cl a bit see what comes up for an older gt. There are lots if good deals to be had around here for under $400 that would be ready to go.
Pete
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 05:29 PM

Not a rider but a very durable brush hog would be a gravely walk behind,the older ones not the newer ones. I have reclaimed quite a bit of land with this. If you have the $$ you can get one of the old gravely riders and install a front mount kit and a 36 inch brush hog on it. The gravely brush hog states in the manual "if it can push it down it can cut it".

• petrj6 said thank you