44 replies to this topic

#31 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 09:07 PM

Now that would be funny. Cat and Ben driving identical trucks.

That would be the day that the forum would probably degenerate into mass chaos.  If we were that much alike, what else would fall apart?  :poke:

Usually the so called bad trucks are a product of poor maintenance and/or a couple of minor flaws that are addressable with some research and elbow grease.

That is probably the most balanced statement I have heard about trucks.  Very good points. 

Ben W.

#32 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 09:09 PM

Our [small] local truck stop had to add another trash dumpster just to handle the hundreds of DEF jugs being tossed every week. 

So glad our gubbernment is saving the planet for us!    :wallbanging: 

Edited by Gtractor, August 14, 2015 - 09:12 PM.

• superaben said thank you

#33 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 09:09 PM

Ben, here's my 2 cents worth. Any of the 99- 03 Ford 7.3 Power Strokes with 100,000 to 200,000 miles on them will be a great truck. I have had 4 of them now and bought them all with over 100,000 miles on them. We now have 2 that have over 500,000 miles on them and still running great. There has been some normal repairs along the way, but that;s a lot of mile and me truck get worked hard a lot. I have had a 97 4X4 also that is a great running truck and it's still on the road being used by a friend of mine for road service. I can't talk about the Chevys or Dodges, but I will keep buying and driving my 7.3 fords as long as I can find them.

Brian, that is actually the truck I want.  Around here, though, anything of that vintage goes for great money or sells only after it has an ungodly amount of miles on it, looks like a product of Stalingrad, and has four bald tires.  I'm still watching though.  It was a tried and true truck. 

Ben W. 

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#34 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 09:10 PM

Our [small] local truck stop had to add another dumpster just to handle the hundreds of DEF jugs being tossed every week. 

So glad our gubbernment is saving the planet for us!

Yep, one plastic jug at a time.

Ben W.

• Gtractor said thank you

#35 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 10:48 PM

Brian, that is actually the truck I want.  Around here, though, anything of that vintage goes for great money or sells only after it has an ungodly amount of miles on it, looks like a product of Stalingrad, and has four bald tires.  I'm still watching though.  It was a tried and true truck. 

Ben W.

Dad's '02 Ford F250 has 330,000 miles and still runs great. Unfortunately, the truck around the 7.3 diesel... Is rotting away....

#36 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 07:32 AM

Dad's '02 Ford F250 has 330,000 miles and still runs great. Unfortunately, the truck around the 7.3 diesel... Is rotting away....

That sounds like a typical Ford.

Ben W.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#37 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,492 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 07:36 AM

This whole conversation reminds me of the Cadillac Northstar. Terrible reputation for head gasket problems. I've never ever seen one fail with the original owner getting dealer maintenance. There is a specific schedule of coolant changes and a specific additive they use, if done, they virtually never fail. My wife and I put 213,000 miles on a '96 Seville, over a period of 12 years. Didn't even need spark plugs until 198000. Really didn't need them then but a coil failed and we just replaced them. When you here the head bolts pulled out, it's right back to the coolant issue, they use dissimilar metals and like a boat's outdrive, they will deteriorate if not properly treated.

And yes, a large portion of today's engine problems go right back to EPA tree huggers that have no friggin' clue!

• EricR and superaben have said thanks

#38 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,558 Thanks
  • 3,937 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 08:39 AM

Kind of like spark plugs popping out. Place I used to work never did preventive maintenance. Lots of funny things happened to those trucks.

#39 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 09:34 AM

I'm not sure if all the trucks have hour meters built like the Fords at work , we have a few with low miles but if you look at the hours and multiply by 40 mph ( a factory # ) on that truck you would be thinking your getting 100k truck but it would be like having a 200k+ engine . Those work trucks we have idle pretty much all day invertors , hydraulics ect. Ford recomnended engine oil every 250 hrs and fuel filters 500 hrs on the 6.0 & 6.4 Before I got to this work location nobody was looking at the hours on thses trucks so who knows if and how much damage was done . Just something to think about
  • wvbuzzmaster, Cvans, shorty and 1 other said thanks

#40 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 08:32 AM

I'm not sure if all the trucks have hour meters built like the Fords at work , we have a few with low miles but if you look at the hours and multiply by 40 mph ( a factory # ) on that truck you would be thinking your getting 100k truck but it would be like having a 200k+ engine . Those work trucks we have idle pretty much all day invertors , hydraulics ect. Ford recomnended engine oil every 250 hrs and fuel filters 500 hrs on the 6.0 & 6.4 Before I got to this work location nobody was looking at the hours on thses trucks so who knows if and how much damage was done . Just something to think about

That is something I have learned to keep in mind.  It seems that trucks used on stock operations (pulling a stock trailer on a farm) or contractors usually have many more hours on an engine than the odometer wants you to believe.  I guess they idle the truck more or just leave it running so as to enjoy the heat in the winter and cool in the summer!

Ben W. 

#41 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 09:24 AM

Kind of like spark plugs popping out. Place I used to work never did preventive maintenance. Lots of funny things happened to those trucks.

My buddy's 5.4 triton started blowing plugs out at 150k. Knowing him probably the original plugs. He is terrible on maintenance on vehicles
  • shorty said thank you

#42 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,558 Thanks
  • 3,937 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 11:32 AM

Yup, they should be changed about 80k. I started losing them at 120k. That engine was never the same.

#43 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,722 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 02:46 PM

I've seen Ford plugs blow out at 5000 miles. That wasn't a maintenance issue! The plug holes were too big on some heads and the thread ended up being shallow. Sometimes I think you might be better to never bother them. Then they designed a plug with a small tip on the end that is basically guaranteed to break off. Local dealer gets 100 per hole to change them with no guarantee that you won't have to pay to pull the head. I still say there is an annual competition to see who can design the most screwed up item. They give a big bonus to the winner and all the car companies try to hire him to bring his design to their company.  :wallbanging:

• Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#44 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 04:39 PM

I've always said the engineers sit round a table and go ok gentlemen the reason I called you here today is for the left hand back corner intake manifold bolt. How can we screw the mechanic? A guy in the back stands up. I know! We will make it in plain sight. You will even be able to touch it but! We will surround it with brackets just close enough that no matter what you try you cant get a socket on it and if you try a combination wrench it will go on but you won't be able to turn it more than 1.7 degrees!

Then everyone stands up and gives the guy a stand ovation.
  • Cvans and toppop52 have said thanks

#45 speedex99gt OFFLINE  

speedex99gt
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10699
  • 43 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 04:17 PM

My suggestion would be 2004.5 lly duramax  My brother has one with over 600,000. or 2006 lbz duramax with the 6 speed allison.You could swap a cummins into a Chevy but it is a lot of work i have helped on 2 or 3 cummins swaps and unless you have 3 months forget about it. Lol.

Edited by speedex99gt, August 17, 2015 - 04:26 PM.