44 replies to this topic

#16 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 09:46 AM

The 6.0 problems were normally from neglect or hot-rodding. Great engine if PROPERLY maintained. Wouldn't own a 6.4. The 6.7 is the way to go in my opinion. The Dura-Slacks around here have had the most problems but also probably due to neglect.

• Gtractor and superaben have said thanks

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 07:34 PM

Personally just from the couple time of being around them the 6.0 Chevy gas motor in the mid 2000s seems pretty good, decent fuel milage for what the truck is and you have power when you want it
Justin

Shhhhhhh! Let's not be bragging those up. The next thing you know, Ben and I have identical trucks.
image.jpg

PS - 87,000 miles, on my 3rd air filter, third set of tires, and coming up on oil change #30. Original everything else, including brakes, belts, and hoses. Never been in a repair or body shop.
  • superaben said thank you

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,559 Thanks
  • 3,940 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Now that would be funny. Cat and Ben driving identical trucks.🙊🙉
  • Cat385B and superaben have said thanks

#19 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 08:43 PM

Ben, here's my 2 cents worth. Any of the 99- 03 Ford 7.3 Power Strokes with 100,000 to 200,000 miles on them will be a great truck. I have had 4 of them now and bought them all with over 100,000 miles on them. We now have 2 that have over 500,000 miles on them and still running great. There has been some normal repairs along the way, but that;s a lot of mile and me truck get worked hard a lot. I have had a 97 4X4 also that is a great running truck and it's still on the road being used by a friend of mine for road service. I can't talk about the Chevys or Dodges, but I will keep buying and driving my 7.3 fords as long as I can find them.

• Gtractor, Alc and superaben have said thanks

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 08:46 PM

The 6.0 problems were normally from neglect or hot-rodding. Great engine if PROPERLY maintained. Wouldn't own a 6.4. The 6.7 is the way to go in my opinion. The Dura-Slacks around here have had the most problems but also probably due to neglect.

Ford actually purchased my friends back because it had so many problems. 6.0 that is.

I was at the Dodge dealer tonight with a friend looking for a new half ton. I got to talking with the owner and I asked him if there were ever newer trades he refused to take. No kias was his main thing and a couple other cars that don't sell well. But his major one that he won't touch is a 6.0 ford diesel. He said he took one and lost his rear because no one would buy it. Sat on his lot for a year and he had to auction it.

#21 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,494 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 09:06 PM

I'm a service manager now, at my friend's dealership for the last couple of years, after 37 years of owning an upholstery shop and for 22 of that, a body shop. I've been towing car trailers and 10,000 lbs of off shore Donzi Z boat as well as several others, for 40 + years. I laugh when I see all these arguments and testimony about how great or horrible a certain vehicle is, especially when a whole brand is mentioned. Ford, GM, Dodge, none are bad trucks none are super truck. They all have good points and bad points. One of the best tow vehicles I ever owned was one that got an undeserved bad rep. It was an '82 Suburban, 3/4 ton with a 6.2 and turbo 400 transmission and 3.55 12 bolt rear. I bought it used and barely running due to neglect. The engine was solid, I got a good diesel mechanic to build and tune a fuel pump and properly time it, tweak the compression ratio, install good glow plugs and solenoid, tuned headers and replaced the factory duals with mandrel bent 2 3/4 " pipes. No turbo, it would annihilate 32/12.50/15 tires from a dead stop, and tow my Donzi like it was a row boat.
At the same time I had Ford van with a 6.9, not very powerful, but dependable as the days are long as long as it was properly serviced. My Suburban got 18 mpg empty and 15 towing that big assed boat rig. All the time hearing how poor the 6.2 was. Usually the so called bad trucks are a product of poor maintenance and/or a couple of minor flaws that are addressable with some research and elbow grease.

Edited by toppop52, August 13, 2015 - 09:13 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc and superaben have said thanks

#22 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 10:05 PM

Where I work has a 2005 F450 with the 6.0 diesel.  440,000 miles so far.  I'm the only one that hasn't had trouble with it out on the road.  I firmly believe all the other drivers jump in,  fire it up and stomp it to the floor.  We are only one block from 4 land divided hwy. with a 65 MPH speed limit.  Its no stranger to being grossly overloaded.  Has a tall box on the back that catches a lot of wind.  Always gets at least 13 MPG no matter how much weight is in it.

On days when I draw that truck I start it first thing,  then go in the office and fill out my log book and other paperwork.  I never shut it off until I'm back at the home base, and I cool it down before shutting it off. 

That one has been in the shop more times than anyone can count.  Usually makes it back home.  Only been on the hook a couple of times. New engine at 210,000 - that engine had the lifters dissolve at 240,000 [30,000 on the engine] which Ford stood behind.  All other repairs have cost the company much, much more than the truck cost new. 

Don't think I'd own one but then again,  its all in how its treated. 

If you can steal one because of their reputation and do some of the minor repairs yourself.....

#23 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,494 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 06:27 AM

The old 6.9 was the same way, it liked being warmed up, the 6.2 didn't much care.

#24 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 10:09 AM

The 6.0 gets a bad rap, IMO. Proper maintenance is very important. CORRECT Motorcraft oil filters, correct oil, changed regularly. Correct fuel filters, changed regularly. Up-keep on the cooling system is very important. You can thank the EPA and ULSD for many of the problems associated with todays diesel engines.

• Gtractor, superaben and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#25 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 12:01 PM

The 6.0 gets a bad rap, IMO. Proper maintenance is very important. CORRECT Motorcraft oil filters, correct oil, changed regularly. Correct fuel filters, changed regularly. Up-keep on the cooling system is very important. You can thank the EPA and ULSD for many of the problems associated with todays diesel engines.

I agree with that.  Maintenance, proper lubes and filters will help anything.

We only hear about people with problems with something usually.  For every truck that blew up at 30k miles there were probably 10,000 that had no problems.  I do know there was a class action lawsuit, and a Ford buy back program for the truck.  My buddy when Ford bought his back, they had to give him MSRP for the truck, not what he actually paid for it when he bought it(a few thousand less than MSRP after taxes) 

I think it was the Ford 2.9 v6?  I could be wrong on the size, that would die of oil starvation if the oil wasn't changed in the right invertvals

I remember the F450 cab and chassis the company I worked for out of highschool bought brand new in 2001.  That truck went over 400k.  A few sets of injectors, transmission, couple water pumps, a few sensor(crank mainly), and a few other odds an ends of parts.  I actually drove that truck off the lot when I was 17.  I quit there when I was 18 and half, and my dad had worked there for 36 years.  He retired a few years ago and they had that truck parked as a back up.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 14, 2015 - 12:04 PM.

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 12:22 PM

The two trucks we have are both Fords. The f250 can pass anything but a gas station. It will also pull the world if you need it to.
Big load, heavy grunt, f250.
Two downfalls... Brakes, it's an 05 and we have had it in for brakes many times. They keep replacing the pads, greasing the rails and sending it out... Not happy, but it was in warranty and that's the "fix". Second downfall is 10mpg

The f150 is 15 with the trailer and 6 GT's, up around 18 without. Watch your load sizes (max lbs)

Never been a big diesel fan, what you save in fuel, you pay in repairs IMO
  • Alc and superaben have said thanks

#27 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 08:17 PM

what you save in fuel, you pay in repairs IMO 

Just the difference in the cost of an oil change is enough to scare me away and I like diesels.

• Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks

#28 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 344 Thanks
  • 394 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 08:53 PM

Also might I add that the 6.0 Powerstroke is a seriously dependable motor if you do ARP head studs and abd EGR delete. You don't need a tuner but why not add one! A done right 6.0 can put out anywhere from 400 to 1,400 hp!
  • MH81 said thank you

#29 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 09:03 PM

Many thanks to everyone for their opinions! 

I realize (like someone else said) that it is too easy to bash a brand and start assuming all was junk because one model was certainly scrap iron molded into an engine. 

I personally do not want a diesel, but for the amount of towing I do, I'd rather have enough truck to do the grunt work and deal with the fuel mileage than have a smaller truck that just isn't up to the hauling and finally succumbs to major issues.  A diesel handles loads so much better than a gas engine, and with the terrain around here like it is, it is hard to go too far without climbing mountains or just navigating a country road over hill and dale.

I may recant my discounting of the 6.0 Powerstroke, but I think I'll want to know who I bought it from and what they did to it.  That was the same way I felt when I bought my 7.3 IDI truck.  Those engines are prone to cavitate without the treatment in the antifreeze.  When I bought my truck, I saw the service records and knew what I was getting.

I sell new skidloaders with the Tier IV emissions crap on it.  I hate the stuff since it jumped the price of a skidsteer about $4000+ depending on the model overnight.  It really makes no sense.  However, beyond the principle (I hate you Al Gore) and the price, if you handle the engine right and run it right, you are not going to have problems. 

I am still looking to not have to swallow that stuff on my new to me truck though. 

Ben W. 

#30 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 09:05 PM

I know a gobb and a bunch of the trouble with ours is the EGR.  It was replaced numerous times.  It usually goes to the local Ford dealer and I'm sure it'd be illegal for any shop to remove it.  :(  

Plus they make good money "fixing" it.