3 replies to this topic

#1 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7048
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 08:07 PM

318 shows around -12v at full throttle on b+ at regulator with wire disconnected and around -5v at idle with wire disconnected. 40v ac coming from stator wires while disconnected from regulator.

I've never encountered this before. Usually regulator would show low positive voltage never negative. Is this regulator bad?

#2 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 08:08 PM

I should also add that battery light is on.

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 08:47 PM

Make sure your battery is connected right (because it does happen... I know that somehow...).  Make sure that the battery wire to your regulator (unhooked) is good and the key on shows 12 volts at the regulator.  I think that battery post is the center terminal just like Kohler's Command regulators worked. 

Make sure that the regulator has ground.  I'm drawing a big fat blank on whether they used a little strap to the regulator mounting bolt or the shroud carried negative voltage.

Ben W.

#4 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 08:51 PM

Yes battery is connected properly and it shows battery voltage at center terminal whether key is on or off. From what I have seen on wiring diagrams it goes from battery to starter solenoid then to the breaker then the regulator. So it should have battery voltage at all times to center of voltage regulator.