23 replies to this topic

#16 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 03:19 PM

Well at least your wifes paperwork got straightened out.

I have only had to venture into the city for work a couple times, I try to avoid it  the rest of the time. It reminds me why i live in a less populated area. My work still puts me just above the city limits , but just far enough out to stay sane.

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 05:14 PM

Was in NYC in 1960, when I was 10 saw all I ever care to in one lifetime.
Used to work for a Sales Office in Creskill,NJ.
The sales manager was always saying, come out and see us, will take you down to the city.
I told him I would never get on another airplane, until they let me take my Swiss Army Knife.

#18 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 09:01 PM

I saw NYC from a bridge over the Hudson.  I could see the skyline.  I drove that way on purpose just to say I saw it... then I got the hives just looking that close.  This country boy can't survive there.

Ben W. 

#19 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 11:12 PM

Been there once when in school, don't even like going into Hamilton, NY (nearest town with any stores, ect.) because the traffic(motorized, foot, bike doesn't matter) is horrible and people drive like morons.  For those that don't know, Hamilton is home to Colgate University.

#20 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 03:24 AM

A few years back, 6 to be exact, I spent a weekend on long island with my wife and her mom, her first time to America... Wow ...the Russian tour bus driver was absolutely INCREDIBLE!! Anyone that could drive a bus in downtown like he did, is my hero! And he was smooth as glass. That was a good time! Leaving was .. Well an adventure for sure but we made it out. Then drove back in to JFK so she could fly home a month later. So this place is always an adventure for sure.
I will say one thing, the food was always good though and long island's different cultures are pretty cool, it makes strangers from a different country feel right at home, as long as you land in the correct part of town LOL.

Edited by skyrydr2, August 13, 2015 - 03:30 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#21 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 08:07 AM

A few years back, 6 to be exact, I spent a weekend on long island with my wife and her mom, her first time to America... Wow ...the Russian tour bus driver was absolutely INCREDIBLE!! Anyone that could drive a bus in downtown like he did, is my hero! And he was smooth as glass. That was a good time! Leaving was .. Well an adventure for sure but we made it out. Then drove back in to JFK so she could fly home a month later. So this place is always an adventure for sure.
I will say one thing, the food was always good though and long island's different cultures are pretty cool, it makes strangers from a different country feel right at home, as long as you land in the correct part of town LOL.

Glad you saw some of the beauty of LI. My family has lived in our small East End town since 1809. Many don't realize just how diverse LI is. City on one end and a agriculturally dominated North Shore on the other.

Did your wife and MIL happen to visit Brighton Beach while they were there? It has a large Russian population.

Edited by tiretrx, August 13, 2015 - 08:08 AM.

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#22 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 08:45 AM

No, but we went by it, it was April when we stayed.

#23 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 09:55 AM

I never lost anything in NY. Never intend to go looking for it.

• tiretrx said thank you

#24 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 10:14 AM

No city in North America can hold a candle to Buenos Aires or Istanbul.

Istanbul is an ancient city built on a narrow strip of land between 2 seas. This leaves no room for expansion north or south. Oh, did I mention the N/S strait through the center with only 2 bridge and a tunnel? With 17,000,000 people, Istanbul has half as many people as all of Canada. Some side streets haven't changed much since the Romans (Byzantynes) were in power. It is not unheard of to take over 4 hours to cross from one end to the other on the freeways in off peak hours. It is the only place I've ever been where street vendors hawk food, water, flowers, and trinkets between the rows of cars on the freeway.
  • tiretrx said thank you