• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 10:13 PM

Hi all, when I get the engine Overhauled and ready to reinstall, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to replace the clutch throwout bearing, looking on e bay there are 2 different bearings listed one looks complete with the bearing housing from US Supply

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The other one looks like just the bearing

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

My question is how is the bearing removed from the housing/carrier?

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 02:36 AM

It's a press fit in cast carrier. Old one push off or tap with easy hammer blows. Then clean it up and carefully push new bearing on. Best Not to hammer on tho. While apart, good time to have push ears welded or brazed in if big divi worn in it. They are usually flat when new. I've gotten Aetna brand bearing from local auto store cheaper. They won't have cast part.
  • DougT, Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 12:22 PM

Hi glgrump, thanks I was thinking that might be the deal just haven't looked real close, and yes I can see using to much hammer could break the cast, so do you have a bearing number I can use at the bearing store?

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 01:47 PM

Hey, looked in my receipts, usually keep them for things and not sure what I found. One not marked well just says Radial Bearing TBE 205L, Retail $44.56, but I paid $22.28 Doesn't seem to be right one, but only one seemed to be right price. I recall it said Aetna right on the bearing, came in a Pronto box, the brand they sell. Might ask if number means anything to them. Sorry I couldn't do better. Sometimes I just take the Power King numbers in and they can cross those, if you have a parts page to get the numbers? Just looked in Big Red parts book and shows # 09-9101, but can't tell if that is with the cast holder or not, looks like it was, no seperate number for that shown. Might not work as cross-ref.

Edited by glgrumpy, August 13, 2015 - 01:55 PM.

• MNGB said thank you

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 06:36 PM

Hi gl thanks, the bearing didn't want to come out of the carrier and looking at it it looks almost new, so I fabricated a bearing greaser and got new grease in it, disassembled the clutch wanted to check the flywheel pressure plate  and the friction disc they all look very good, the friction disc must have been new when he installed the OH'd engine as you can still see the whits lettering numbers on it can't read it but its there, so that's all good and ready. The tie rod assy was bent some and rusty removed it and got one side to come all apart but the other was rusted solid, so I took about 18" of 1.25" pipe capped one end put it in a vise placed the tie rod in it and filled it with ATF in 2.5 day I removed it and the ATF had worked its magic this morning it came apart with little effort, got the parts cleaned up and the tie rod straightened  and its in the paint room looking good.