9 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 02:50 PM

Had the disc mounted this afternoon to disc down the raised beds where I had the onions, garlic and shallots planted. So thought it was a good time to post a picture.
The disc is 6 1/2 ft wide and would have done better if it was drier. We got 2 1/2vinches of rain Sunday morning.
This disc is as big as I would want, it pulls well but is heavy enough that the front wheels are light
and will skid turning with it lifted, I use the brakes on turns for that reason.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo (22).JPG

• Alc, KennyP, shorty and 2 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,545 Thanks
  • 3,930 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 03:02 PM

Looks good JD. Makes me think that a bigger tractor like yours sure would be nice.
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 03:51 PM

This is what I use to do disking. Works great. I put weight on the front set of disks,    Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 011.jpg

• JD DANNELS and KennyP have said thanks

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 04:29 PM

Looks good JD. Makes me think that a bigger tractor like yours sure would be nice.

I do really enjoy it. It burns less fuel per hour than my garden tractors.
I have 9 Acres and the longer wheelbase and taller tires makes for a smoother ride over rough ground.
  • Alc and shorty have said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 04:41 PM

Good points. My area not that big. I use my ferguson farm tractor for cutting grass now. Six foot rear discharge finish mower. Much better ride. Noel.

Oops, upside down again.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 07:12 PM

Good points. My area not that big. I use my ferguson farm tractor for cutting grass now. Six foot rear discharge finish mower. Much better ride. Noel.
Oops, upside down again.

My Ford is rated for the same size implements as a N series Ford. But is diesel.
I have mowed my lawn with the 5 ft brush cutter and it does not look bad.
I M looking for a finish mower and with that I would mow all 9 acres and only use the brush cutter when things got rough.

Incidentally the Cockle Burrs in that picture have been pulled since I posted the picture.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 11, 2015 - 07:17 PM.

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 08:20 PM

Nine acres is a lot more than mine, I cut about two and a half , but two houses, trees, gardens and other stuff to go around takes me about 5 to 6 hours to do by myself, with weed whacking included. But I enjoy it. So your ford 1500 tractor would be about 20/22 hp with a catorgory one, three point hitch ? Noel

And the six foot finish mower does just as good of job of cutting grass, as any of my garden or lawn tractors.

Edited by propane1, August 11, 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 08:24 PM

Oops, upside down again.

Are you using an IPad? I used to to do that till someone told to rember to keep the camera. Eye to the left.
  • propane1 said thank you

#9 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 08:35 PM

That picture was takin before some one told me that. I now try to remember to turn the iPhone, is what I think I have, upside down and use the bottom buttons to take the picture. So the camera would then be on the top left facing the thing you are going to take a picture of. Would that be right. Noel.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 09:22 PM

Nine acres is a lot more than mine, I cut about two and a half , but two houses, trees, gardens and other stuff to go around takes me about 5 to 6 hours to do by myself, with weed whacking included. But I enjoy it. So your ford 1500 tractor would be about 20/22 hp with a catorgory one, three point hitch ? Noel
And the six foot finish mower does just as good of job of cutting grass, as any of my garden or lawn tractors.

Yes the Ford is rated at 20 hp, 17 at the PTO. 2 cyl diesel. Weighs just over 2000 lbs. Yes it is cat1. It has 9.5x 24 tires, I have two 70 lb wheel weights on each wheel. And 3 -33 lb weights out front. The 48 inch gear drive tiller calls for 25 PTO hp, but it pulls it ok. That is the one tool,where I wish I had more power. I have the tiller,disc,landscape rake,rear blade,King Cutter pan scraper, and 5 ft brush cutter. Oh I forgot the middlebuster and Dad aNd I made a hiller/bedder, I like raised beds and everything but the corn and potatoes are planted on them.
I have 3 5ft sections of an old horse drawn spike harrow need to make a frame to lift them with the 3 point. Right now I just drag them.
My rear wheels are set at 48 inches on center, so I would only pull two sections.
I found them standing against the back fence, after I bought this place.
Before I got the Ford I pulled one section with the 318.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 11, 2015 - 09:27 PM.

• Alc, Cvans and propane1 have said thanks