• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,178 Thanks
  • 43,305 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 08:58 AM

A question! I have LinuxMint 17.3(rosa) on my laptop. If I were to change to say (mate), would all my files be lost installing it?

#17 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,971 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 11:35 AM

If you did a reinstall yes they would but if you just want to install Mate you can go to the software manager and install the Mate desktop.  Go to the software manager and type in "mint-meta-mate" without the quotes and that should install Mate.  Then you can just logout (No restart required) and on the login screen there should be some kind of a choice for type of session.  Choose Mate and login as normal. Then set it up the way you want it.  As Always when doing something like this MAKE A BACK UP just in case.

One thing to be aware of when you do this is that sometimes when you make a change in one desktop it will carry over to the other.  Normally this is a service that one uses and the other one doesn't.

• KennyP and Trav1s have said thanks

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,019 Thanks
  • 30,440 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 11:55 AM

Bill, I was thinking of installing pclinuxos64-kde-fullmonty-2014.12.iso  over the Peppermint.  What do you think?  If I go to install it will it give me the option to use the partition that now has P-mint?

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,971 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 12:17 PM

Yes you can choose the same partition that peppermint is installed on.  One thing that is, I think, neat is that when PCLOS installs it will break that partition into 2 partitions one for the system and one for the home or user folders.  This way you can actually do a reinstall and not wipe out your home folders in the process.  Also be aware PCLOS is a rolling release distro which means that you will always have the latest and greatest. 

I would also suggest running the fullmonty on a USB drive first to see if you will like it.  The gui is different and some like it and others don't.  I would also suggest checking out the KDE regular and the Mate edition.  Also check and see if your video card is going to work before installing.

• olcowhand said thank you

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,019 Thanks
  • 30,440 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 12:28 PM

Yes you can choose the same partition that peppermint is installed on.  One thing that is, I think, neat is that when PCLOS installs it will break that partition into 2 partitions one for the system and one for the home or user folders.  This way you can actually do a reinstall and not wipe out your home folders in the process.  Also be aware PCLOS is a rolling release distro which means that you will always have the latest and greatest. 

I would also suggest running the fullmonty on a USB drive first to see if you will like it.  The gui is different and some like it and others don't.  I would also suggest checking out the KDE regular and the Mate edition.  Also check and see if your video card is going to work before installing.

Running off the disc now, and same issue with screen size! 

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,019 Thanks
  • 30,440 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 12:33 PM

The thing is, my TV that I'm using as a VGA monitor IS 1024x768 like the OS detection says, but even using win10 I have to change resolution to a higher rate (12xx / 960). 

#22 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,971 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 01:05 PM

There are two areas in PCLOS we can deal with the first one is PCLOS control center(PCC).  This configures the underling Linux system.  It is an administrative function so it require root privileges.  If you are running off the USB pw is root.  Open up the PCC, The icon that says configure your computer.

When you have it open go to Hardware -> configure video card.  Here you will see a series of buttons.  Select the monitor that you have, if you don't see your monitor choose a generic flat panel with the nearest resolution for your monitor.  In my case I have flat panel 1920X1080.  Also while you are there make sure the correct video card is listed. You can also choose a resolution but here I set mine to automatic (24ppp).

Once you have that all set then open up the "Configure your desktop" icon select Hardware then "display and monitor" go to size and orientation and select the resolution you want.  Click apply in the lower right hand corner.  You should now have the correct resolution.  Let me know how it works.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks