• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 08:55 AM

so glad to hear you weren't hurt! That could have been disastrous. good plan on using the jack stands. I guess they have to put stupid warnings on everything now to keep the law suits damage to a minimum....... 

#17 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 09:07 AM

Just as a side note, incase there is anybody who may not be aware of it, when jacking a vehicle, remember that the free rolling wheels will act in concert with the lifting motion of the jack and actually pull the vehicle towards the jack. Blocking or otherwise preventing the wheels from rolling will keep that from happening. However, something has always got to give, so pay attention to what your jack stands are doing if you are attempting a very high angle lift, which usually happens when you put all four corners up on jack stands. I have found that once the stands are in place on one end, thus preventing any slippage on the jack stand tops, the base of the stand  acts like a fulcrum when lifting on the other end. Like the rolling wheels, the lifting motion of the jack can pull or push the vehicle and the stands may tilt and fall if it goes un-noticed. Just something I thought I would mention, especially for those members who are rather young and inexperienced. ( I'm sure you know this Jazz, but there are a lot of younger folks on here who may not :D )

#18 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 09:11 AM

When working under cars and GT's, I usually jack the item up, then place wide car or tractor rims on their side under the tires.  Very stable & they won't roll off.    

• backyardtinker said thank you