11 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 08:47 PM

Got the Tech HH160 running this afternoon, but it wants to surge a lot at all speeds.  With the air cleaner off I can see gas bubbling up from the tube in the middle of the carb.  I know this is not normal but wondering where to look for the problem.  Fuel tank was clean, new fuel line and filter.  Carb was cleaned and blew out good.  Float was set so it was level when right side up.  My thoughts are dirt in the high speed fixed jet.  No change in the slow speed jet helps any.  Appreciate any advise you might have.

#2 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 09:26 PM

Okay no high speed jet adj.correct ? I'm not a big fan of the Tecumseh , surging usually means not enough gas , might soak it (carb)in cleaner, or run some seafoam, mechanic in a bottle etc. thru it, does giving it choke help any? Could be sucking air around throttle shaft ,spray carb cleaner on it look for bubbles, check the governor linkage , is it free? If you give it a little finger pressure does it smooth out? I find my H16's cantankerous as all get out always with the carb, fully adjustable carb gives you a fighting chance, it's been setting so I say soak it or run the cleaner thru it see what that does.Vent on gas cap clear, how's the head bolt's torque? Those are vacuum fuel pumps it might be gummed up or weak and isn't supplying enough fuel.

Heard of taking a small propane torch putting it around the carb ( throttle shaft, base, etc.) crack it open while engine is running if you have a leak it will suck the propane in and will increase the RPM slightly but enough you'll notice.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, August 10, 2015 - 09:52 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 10:40 PM

Mine will surge some too until a load is on it or 30 seconds, whichever comes first.
I have the mix a little rich, but have tried it almost everywhere. A little rich is best and is supposedly better for the overhead valve seats. Not so rich it smokes or wastes a lot of gas, but just enough to help.

I blame it on how responsive (almost overly so) the gov is. It's a snappy engine and it responds almost instantly to any change. Enough so that it can set up an oscillation for a few seconds without a load.
  • Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 07:29 AM

Never hear too much of a HH160. Well, some people called them that until they changed the name to OH160 since it was so confusing.

I don't think Tecumseh ever made a flat head 16Hp

Gas bubbling up through center tube sounds like it's maybe getting too much gas and flooding. Wonder if the float is set just a bit tad high or your needle seat is letting gas seep through. Normally surging is due to a clog, but can also be to getting too much gas as it's trying to find the happy medium.

Mine surges sometimes but I need new butterfly shaft bushings.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 08:22 AM

No fuel pump on this one.  Gravity flow only.  Have Sea Foam in the gas but have not run it much with that in.  The needle and seat looked good but could be a problem.  No run over when the tractor is not running so I think the needle and seat are shutting off OK.  Float being a little to high is a good possibility.  Also dirt some place is a possibility also.  Fuel tank vent is OK and tank was good and clean but washed it out a couple times just the same.  Carb to head gasket looked good.  Butterfly shaft seemed tight in the body.  Will pull the carb and give it another good cleaning and run a tiny wire through the holes to make sure they are open.  Can give it a carb cleaner shot too won't hurt.  Will see what happens.  Thanks much for the input.  By the way, I am not a Tech fan either but it is what was in the tractor so you take what comes or go the other way.

#6 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 04:45 PM

Not passing judgment on purchase ,own 5 Tecumseh OH engines 4 -16 HP and 1 -14HP ,I worked I mean worked one of my H16's put some coin in it ,needed repairs, engine and hydro rebuild at the Bolens dealership back in the day when all parts were still readily available , yee- ow it hurt then , can only imagine what it would cost today... Anywho ,I love 'Old Whitey' cantankerous carb and all, 90 octane ethanol free this season has made a big difference, it's out weekly with the sickle mow cutting the ditch and tree lines. Can't see me being without it, also spent many winter days plowing or blowing the snow out of mine and two neighbors drive, they were truly amazed at what the little bass tard would push and stack the white stuff. You'll enjoy the hydro it's a handy user friendly creature comfort that makes using a GT in some tasks a lot easier , last all my Tecumseh 's have the vaccum fuel pump , never seen one with out , even the old 1220 with the HH120 has one, curious if it suppose to have one, may explain a few things, good luck with it
  • Alc and Paulgo have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 07:37 AM

I went through the carb again and cleaned the ports, holes, etc. with small wire.  Lowered the float just a little.  Used high temp gasket maker on the intake to carb flange and put it back on, air cleaner and all.  Let it set for a day and fired it up last night.  Had installed new drive belts and idler pulley.  Started that surging again but not near as bad.  Slowly released the idler pulley and it smoothed right out and run real decent.

Now the hydro is not smooth like it should be.  Forward is not to bad but reverse is rough, jerks, sounds like gear grind, etc. before it starts to move and then still jerky.  Put it in the shop for the night.  Going to try it again this morning as I did not have it at full throttle like they say they need to be run.  I am hoping it is air in the system yet from changing the filter.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by chieffan, August 13, 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Tried to start it this morning.  Would not start when it had to turn the Hydro.  Release the idler pulley and hooked it over the stud.  Tried again and it fired right off.  Engaged the idler and it pulled down a little and ran fine.  Got on, full throttle and it would right up and ran smooth.  Forward we started with a couple jerks and then took off. ran good down hill, held back OK got down to the bottom and over to the machine shed, about 120 yd. from the starting point.  Started up a little incline to get up to the doors and it really pulled down and barely made it.  Stopped forward motion, let it set a min. and tried to move and Nothing.  No forward or backward at all.  Motor pulls down a lot when the pedal is pressed in either direction.  Hydro fluid is full.  Lift cylinder extends and retracts good.

Will get it on the bench next month while the Mrs. is recovering from hip replacement as the shop is next to the house.  Will start checking some thing over then.  I really wanted this tractor to work out good but it is looking more and more like I got a hot shaft.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 05:57 PM

Not passing judgment on purchase ,own 5 Tecumseh OH engines 4 -16 HP and 1 -14HP ,I worked I mean worked one of my H16's put some coin in it ,needed repairs, engine and hydro rebuild at the Bolens dealership back in the day when all parts were still readily available , yee- ow it hurt then , can only imagine what it would cost today... Anywho ,I love 'Old Whitey' cantankerous carb and all, 90 octane ethanol free this season has made a big difference, it's out weekly with the sickle mow cutting the ditch and tree lines. Can't see me being without it, also spent many winter days plowing or blowing the snow out of mine and two neighbors drive, they were truly amazed at what the little bass tard would push and stack the white stuff. You'll enjoy the hydro it's a handy user friendly creature comfort that makes using a GT in some tasks a lot easier , last all my Tecumseh 's have the vaccum fuel pump , never seen one with out , even the old 1220 with the HH120 has one, curious if it suppose to have one, may explain a few things, good luck with it

In the manual for the Tech 16 it does show a fuel pump.  The plug that is in the lower side of the block where the vacuum line would go has been put in there after the block was painted.  It is white, so probably the fuel pump has been removed for some reason.  I got the engine running real decent this morning.  Needed the load of the Hydro on it I guess as that is all it took to smooth thing s out. 

Edited by chieffan, August 13, 2015 - 05:59 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 04:19 AM

Hope it's just air needing purged. Any burning belt smells?
Anyways, Glad the engine is back on track.
  • chieffan said thank you

#11 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 01:32 PM

My hh150 has a fuel pump. The hh160 should also have one.
As far as the hydro goes, it doesn't look good. I have a 1556 that has a week hydro. What has me wondering is the grinding sound. Maybe the hydro is good and something else in the drive train is wrong. Keep us informed on what you find.
  • chieffan said thank you

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 05:54 PM

Just to check the hydro out I stuck a sleeve hitch on and mounted a fairly heavy disc to it.  Hooked up the lift rod and tried it.  Groaned a little and the rear had a bit of a squat but it lifted it right up.  At this point I am thinking and hoping it is NOT the hydro but a gear in the rear end.  Will get it up on the work table and start to tear it apart and see what I find.  I am sure it will not be good.  Will keep you posted.

• MH81 said thank you