Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

putting cases together on my 56 db walk behind.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• Member No: 3443
  • 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 07:29 PM

Trying to put my caeses together with my homemade poster board gasket and when I tighten up one bolt it wont turn. I back it off like half turn and it will roll. I know the original gasket wasn't even as thick as the poster board. So what is the problem? I have all my thrust washer on both shafts. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,602 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 07:44 PM

Sounds like that one bolt is just a touch long.  No big deal. You can grind the end of it off and it should be OK.  Run a nut up the threads of the bolt first then after you grind the end of the bolt off and remove the nut it makes the threads true and ready to install in the case.  IF  the bolt holes go through and into the gearcase you might need a dab of silicone on the bolt threads so it doesn't leak. 

GOOD LUCK!

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 08:39 PM

I had a look at the photos I took when I had mine apart.  On mine, none of the bolts could contact rotating parts inside the gearbox.  The large gear does sit in two blind hole, and that is when I would start.  Pull it apart, clean the holes really good & maybe re-try it without the large gear installed to see if the input & outputs will turn freely.  If they do, put the large gear back in without the input shaft & see if the output will turn.  Try to narrow it down to one of the three gears or the chain.

Attached Thumbnails

• a.jpg
  • b.jpg

• Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks

#4 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• Member No: 3443
  • 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 10:08 PM

I figured it out. It was one of my welch plugs that got pused in too far some how. Also my guide pins had primer on them and case wasn't going all the way and putting in a bind. Thanks for the help.
  • Alc said thank you