1477 LF mowerdeck model 18049-01 spindles

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 09:33 AM

I blew out a spindle bearing on my mower deck...   I took it apart in the field and brought the assembly home to fix.. I got new bearings from Dr. B and went to reassemble when I discovered I might have been the problem to my own demise....

For those of you that ever rebuild their spindle ass.   MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE SPINDLE SHAFT IN CORRECTLY....

When I was washing it up and cleaning the shaft,,I screwed the zerk in and it appeared plugged.. I thought   NO wonder the bearing went out, no grease... tried as I could NO grease coming out the hole for the bearing.. I blew air into it and nothing..turned it around and wha-la air and grease and solvent coming out the bearing lube hole..

Now,, like I said,, I took it apart in the field and hand tightened everything to bring back to shop as an assembly...  ( if I put it back the same way.?? ) But,, the last time I put bearings in,, I my have put the bearing shaft in up side down..  When I greased it, it may have been just pumping it out under the pully and slung out to not notice it...

seems funny that it is like that,but,, the zerk threads and the blade bolt are the same threads,and the grease hole doe's not go thru..

SO,, when you look at the spindle,,the grease hole will be further down the shaft on one side.. and when I did it the last time it may have been up side down...

Just a heads up for anyone who might be in the same situation of rebuilding their mower deck spindles..

I saw nowhere in the manuals about the correct position of the shaft..  ( top or bottom )

Now it's got me wondering...  I need to check the other 2 shafts... or pump grease in it til it comes out the bottom cup..???  and maybe blow the seal on the lower bearing...

• Bolens 1000, Husky and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 221 Thanks
  • 209 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 10:54 AM

I wonder if that is what is up with the 1 spindle on my LF deck, It won't take grease. I never had it apart but when I was sharpening the blades t seemed like it would take grease with the bolt out but not after I put it back together.

#3 Husky OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 917 Thanks
  • 881 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 11:30 AM

Great info thanks!!