chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 06:20 PM

H16-1.JPG      H16-2.JPG     H16-3.JPG

H16-4.JPG

Just gave it the oven cleaner bath.  Looks much better than when I brought it home.  I have several questions regarding the servicing of this tractor posted under a post "What is the model number of an H16?"

Want to change the fluids and cannot find any drain plugs except for the engine.  G14 20 page manual don't help a whole lot.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, LPBolens and 2 others have said thanks

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 06:33 PM

Parts Manual Here.

http://gardentractor...olens-1656-h16/

Owners Manual for H14 Should be the same as the H16 minus the engine.

http://gardentractor...-owners-manual/

• MH81, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 07:05 PM

Two separate systems , gear lube an SAE 90 in rear end , should be left side down low allen ( socket head) close to flush with housing, pull the fill plug to let it breathe to drain.

Hydro is a sealed unit no drain , two routes IMO , pull hydro and tip it upside down in catch pan or disconnect hydro lines get a big catch pan,jack up rear and slowly rotate a rear tire/wheel it will force the fluid out the ports ,also to get residual oil out you have to disconnect lines at lift cylinder and stroke the cylinder manually to force oil out of it. Done both, real PITA anyway you cut it, pretty sure manuals say other than adding to the reservoir you were to take it to the dealer for anything else to do with the hydro

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, August 09, 2015 - 07:11 PM.

• Bolens 1000, MH81, Bruce Dorsi and 3 others have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 07:26 PM

Parts Manual Here.

http://gardentractor...olens-1656-h16/

Owners Manual for H14 Should be the same as the H16 minus the engine.

http://gardentractor...-owners-manual/

I have both manuals, thanks much.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 07:31 PM

Two separate systems , gear lube an SAE 90 in rear end , should be left side down low allen ( socket head) close to flush with housing, pull the fill plug to let it breathe to drain.

Hydro is a sealed unit no drain , two routes IMO , pull hydro and tip it upside down in catch pan or disconnect hydro lines get a big catch pan,jack up rear and slowly rotate a rear tire/wheel it will force the fluid out the ports ,also to get residual oil out you have to disconnect lines at lift cylinder and stroke the cylinder manually to force oil out of it. Done both, real PITA anyway you cut it, pretty sure manuals say other than adding to the reservoir you were to take it to the dealer for anything else to do with the hydro

OK, I guess I was right then on the two separate units.  The oil looked real good in the tank and what was in the filter when I took it off.  Nice red color and no foul smell so don't think I will go to all the trouble to drain that system.  Just put on a new filter and add what is needed to the tank.

The case drain must be between the two bolts that hold the side plate on.   Don't have the wheels off and it must be full of dirt as it looked like an alignment pin, but kind of big for that.  Thanks much for the  advise.  Might get that thing going one of these days.  going to swipe a gas tank off a Wisconsin for now to get it running.

• WrenchinOnIt and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 07:42 PM

Oven cleaner bath? Sounds like something I should learn about...

Paul

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#7 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 08:20 PM

Looks pretty decent to me,your going to like the hydro
  • WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 03:51 AM

Oven cleaner bath? Sounds like something I should learn about...

Paul

Learned that from a friend that does tractor restoration and painting.  Use the cheapest Dollar store oven cleaner you can get.  Spray it on the unit any place oil, dirt, grime, etc. have accumulated.  Let it work for 15 min. or so.  Then hit it with the pressure washer.  Oven cleaner is STRONG so make sure your upwind when spraying and by all means wear eye protection and a mask don't hurt either.  It will remove paint if left on to long.

I have a rotating nozzle on my wand that I can turn to spray up at  45° which makes it nice to clean the under side.  That is where you really need the eye protection and mask, spraying the oven cleaner up under the frame, etc.

• awol, boyscout862 and Paulgo have said thanks

#9 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 08:57 AM

Cheiffan...  I have 2 hydros   1477 LF  and a 1556 TF ..   The 1556 is very simular to your'es.. very nice machines  I think you will like it..

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 02:23 PM

Not having a lot of good luck with this one.  FINALLY got the Tech running decent but now the tractor won't move after driving it about 120 yds.  Going to forget about it for a few days and let it sit.  Then get it on the work table and see what I can find out.  Almost has to be one of two things;  Hydro is out ; or a gear is gone in the rear end.  Not sure which would be worse.  Gear may be hard to find and I have a transmission re-builder about 15 miles from me that has been rebuilding all kinds of automatic, gear drive, hydro's, etc. for 30 years.  I guess time will tell.