• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hi all, on the K321 there is a cooling cover that bolts to the cylinder head and goes back and down on the engine, I was looking at it this afternoon and looks like it will not fit with a pipe nipple and 90 degree elbon on the exhaust at least not without some cutting etc so does everyone have the cover in place or are you using a special exhaust fitting or what? Is it really needed, I'm thinking it was to direct the cooling air down away from the dash hyd pump and voltage regulator? 

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Check the parts manual. You can download the manuals from our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

• MNGB said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 08:23 PM

You mean that almost square one that bolts to head with a few bolts and then two edges bend down as it moves from engine? I think lots of those are taken off, in way for lots of tinkering issues. Think I have one kicking around in spares and see them on epay sometimes.  I've never had a tractor with one still on, so don't think they are that important.

• MNGB said thank you

#4 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 08:30 PM

Hi glgrumpy, that's the one I'm asking about and yes it would make it impossible to work on the carb and gov linkage etc when its installed. I'm sure it will be left off of mine when the engine is reinstalled. Thanks for the reply that's what I wanted to know.

#5 Glenn Ayers ONLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 11:05 PM

I need one of those deflectors.   Anyone wanna sell theirs ? 

I have an older (short hood) PK that is "Vapor Locking" & I'd like to see if that deflector would prevent the fuel tank from getting so hot.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 11:35 AM

Glenn, sent pm with pix.

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 12:34 PM

I look at it this way.  The company didn't put that deflector on for their health or to make it look pretty.  Yes, they are necessary as they move cooling air to areas that need it and away from areas that do not.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 05:32 PM

Hi all, well I was out trying out the mower deck on the 1614 this afternoon its 83*F here in MN and about 90% RH I know its not that hot for some of you but its darn hot for us in MN, anyway I answered the question in my mind about the air deflector YES its good to have in place, I don't think that engine cooling is compromised with it off but it sure keeps the hood and dash a lot cooler. Came back to the shop after mowing for about 15 minutes and the hood and dash were really hot so I quickly installed the deflector and went out and mowed another 15 minutes and all was cooler. I will modify mine by installing riv-nuts in the top cooling tin and then screwing the deflector down to hold it in place that will make it easy to remove for work on the engine.

#9 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 07:27 PM

I had the same issue. I installed iron pipe in the head when I found out I could no longer get the S pipe. Then the tin wouldn't fit. So I just cut enough of the tin to fit around the pipe. Works great. I also second the dash temp findings. Cooler with tin on
  • MNGB said thank you

#10 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 10:47 AM

20151004_104428_zpsaw9yvbtr.jpg

• MNGB said thank you