• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 03:43 AM

The idler pulley on my Ariens mower is connected to a rod/spring assembly to allow it to move as it responds to changing loads. The end of the steel rod goes through a guide hole in a steel bracket. You have steel on steel contact and the rod makes a heluva racket as it moves back/forth at high frequency. I put a little grease on it which works for a short time but I would like to fix it. I'm thinking I need to enlarge the hole in the bracket so I can insert a bushing, perhaps oilite or bronze. Any ideas on the best solution? There isn't any lateral force so maybe nylon would work. Thanks.

Edited by artbuc, August 08, 2015 - 04:04 AM.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 05:06 AM

If I'm understanding you it uses compression spring for tension ? That's how the pull behind Gravey mower is that I have . I haven't used mine enough to remember if there was extra noise from there . Was it always noisy ? Or just got louder ? Was there ever a cover over it maybe suppressing the sound ?

#3 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 06:37 AM

If I'm understanding you it uses compression spring for tension ? That's how the pull behind Gravey mower is that I have . I haven't used mine enough to remember if there was extra noise from there . Was it always noisy ? Or just got louder ? Was there ever a cover over it maybe suppressing the sound ?

Yes, the rod runs through a compression spring which holds the idler against the belt. The end of the rod goes through a hole in a bracket to hold it in place. The rod does not move axially very much but it is moving at a high frequency and creates a high pitch irritating noise. It is a fairly new mower...only a few years old. It had been discontinued and Ariens built this from parts. My original deck had the same basic design but much beefier and more quiet. This unit has a plastic idler pulley and lots of metal on metal contact points. It was noisy from the get-go but I think it is getting worse as the paint rubs off. My tractor and original deck is the Gravely 18H which is the Ariens GT18 with Gravely badging.

• Alc said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 07:13 AM

Can you enlarge the hole and slip a piece of rubber or plastic tubing over the rod where it goes through the hole?  May not be permanent but should stop the noise for a time anyway.  Be a cheap fix to if it works.

• Alc said thank you

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,544 Thanks
  • 3,929 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 07:50 AM

Did you ever check if the idler assembly is the same as on the original deck? If they built it out of the parts bin, what are the odds that they might have used the idler assembly off of a different series and is a noisier setup. Just a random thought that came to me.

#6 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 10:46 AM

Did you ever check if the idler assembly is the same as on the original deck? If they built it out of the parts bin, what are the odds that they might have used the idler assembly off of a different series and is a noisier setup. Just a random thought that came to me.

Yes, I kept the old idler assembly as a spare. Will probably install it this winter.

#7 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 10:49 AM

Can you enlarge the hole and slip a piece of rubber or plastic tubing over the rod where it goes through the hole? May not be permanent but should stop the noise for a time anyway. Be a cheap fix to if it works.

There isn't enough clearance to insert anything. If I go to the trouble of enlarging the bracket hole, I would install an oilite or nylon bushing.

Edited by artbuc, August 08, 2015 - 10:49 AM.