11 replies to this topic

#1 Jimang22 OFFLINE  

Jimang22
  • Member No: 74001
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 11:17 PM

Hello,
I am new to this and been looking online for weeks now to fix my tractor, mower.
To start tag on the back of the tractor says john deere 240 tractor , m00240b607713*
Motor is a Kawasaki, code fc420v-ds00 , e/no fc420v072314
I was mowing last week, I cut the field and pulled into my garage and it died and would not start back up, 2 days later I started it ran a little funny maybe a miss but it ran about 10 mins and died. I have only owned this tractor for 2 months and it ran great. No spark
I have done so far, removed ignition coil and cleaned, cleaned flywheel and the magnetic is good, checked all connections, both fuse are good, I could only find a Manuel for the motor. It said to check coil and silver small box on side of motor for ohms, I only have a digital meter with settings 2, 20, 200 but it broke the readings in half, if that can be done and it seemed in range, getting power to ignition key switch, the white wire from the ignition switch to that silver box and coil is grounded till the key is turned on .so I think that is correct. 1 fuse goes to ignition switch , 1 goes to black box under the dash, has good ground, 2 wires to charging under flywheel, it does have 3 relays but I haven't found a manual for the tractor itself yet and believe 1 is for seat safety switch, 1 cutting deck switch, other no clue yet.
I have been trying but new to the john deere tractor this tractor is great for me. Any Manuel's or trouble shooting that someone can point me to would be very helpful, I hate to buy every part and I like to know how everything works, thank you for your time

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,720 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 03:35 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I'm not familiar with that tractor, but someone will be along that can offer help. Pics can be a help, so check out the link in my signature.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 08:03 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#4 Jimang22 OFFLINE  

Jimang22
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 08:55 AM

update the white wire from the ignition switch goes to a small silver box maybe ignitor with 1 wire on side of motor then to the coil. it is  grounded when the is in all positions. thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 09:02 AM

Welcome to GTT. What you discribe is probably one of a couple of things. First I would suspect the safety switches. You can test the safety switches with an ohm meter or a continuity tester(a powered test light). Verify that your tester works properly first. Test each switch with its leads disconnected. Take a reading when the switch should be off and when the switch should be on. If there is no difference then the switch mounting may be bad or the switch is bad. Clean the terminals before reattaching the wires. Once you have tested all safety switches, test the ignition switch. It is usually only the seat safety switch that kills ignition. If you have a troubleshooting section in the engine manual, use it. Good Luck, Rick

Just saw your latest, a shorting out wire could be the problem.

Edited by boyscout862, August 08, 2015 - 09:03 AM.

• Jimang22 said thank you

#6 Jimang22 OFFLINE  

Jimang22
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 09:34 AM

I know there is a safety switch under the seat, when I turn switch to the deck blades I think a relay clicks. I see wires in a harnes going to the unit where the belts conect, I'm still trying but don't see anything else, how any safety switchs does this machine have? I don't have a Manuel for the tractor it self just I wiring diagram for the motor, it dont show any releays, thank you again for your help

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 09:39 AM

I know there is a safety switch under the seat, when I turn switch to the deck blades I think a relay clicks. I see wires in a harnes going to the unit where the belts conect, I'm still trying but don't see anything else, how any safety switchs does this machine have? I don't have a Manuel for the tractor it self just I wiring diagram for the motor, it dont show any releays, thank you again for your help

You probably have 3 switches. One on the clutch/brake pedal linkage, one on the power take off linkage and one under the seat. The first two usually prevent starting. The one under the seat usually kills the ignition when no one is sitting on the seat. Good Luck, Rick

Sometimes there is a safety switch on the shifter. It has to be in neutral to start.

Edited by boyscout862, August 08, 2015 - 09:41 AM.

#8 Jimang22 OFFLINE  

Jimang22
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 09:41 AM

what is the power take off linkage? the one under the seat does not let it try to start when it not connected, ty

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 11:33 AM

In this case, the PTO linkage is what makes the mower deck work. You don't want to start the engine with the mower engaged.

#10 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 05:50 PM

Jimang22:

Check your Personal Messages. I have something I could send you that might help.

Harlan

#11 truck21 OFFLINE  

truck21

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2813
  • 431 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 07:49 PM

I sent two manuals through PM just wondering if you got them.

Don

#12 Jimang22 OFFLINE  

Jimang22
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 10:24 AM

Thank you everyone, I'm going to look everything over and post back later, thank you for take the time to help