FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 04:31 PM

Hey guys... so I have been thinking in the back of my head that I have this spare snowblower housing for my MF12, and well... a power broom is really close in design.  Then I found these 5 foot used street sweeper brushes that look like they would be perfect to modify onto an auger shaped insert.  

SO, if anyone has any photos of a Massey power broom, or other designs, I would love to see some photos.    My one concern is how to design the belt hook up.  I have the early version of the blower without the underbelly mount.  My belt runs off the motor.   I have a spare 90 degree mower deck gearbox, and I may be able to build some sort of universal  joint to make it run at an angle, but there is a lot to plan out. 

That said, it would be freaking awesome to build a power broom with all the style of the Massey snow thrower, Eh?   (Those who know me, know the design quaility we are talking about!)

• limebuzz, KennyP and ENafziger have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 04:37 PM

Sounds like a feasible project!

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 05:55 PM

This is the only photo I have of a "Sweepster" broom attachment, but I can not see how they delt with the belt drive.  Interestingly enough, this tractor does not even have the PTO on it at all!

As I was looking, I also noticed that I am pretty dang sure that Haban used a Massey blower housing and belt drive set up to build the flail mower attachment!

sweeper.JPG

flail.JPG

• limebuzz and Alc have said thanks

#4 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 07:28 PM

I saw something cool on the job the other day. They make a small broom head for a weed whacker. Surprisingly it worked really well
  • superaben said thank you

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 10:23 PM

That sounds like a nice project! When I was a teenager my dad bought a JD 110 with a bunch of attachments.
We had two giant oak trees in the yard and they would drop so many acorns walking across the lawn was like walking on marbles. And turned a mower. Into a machine gun.
The broom attachment did a nice job of sweeping them in piles, we could scoop up and haul them off to the ditch in the trailer.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 07, 2015 - 10:25 PM.

• FirefyterEmt and limebuzz have said thanks