• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dblover OFFLINE  

dblover
  • Member No: 73516
  • 266 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 11:29 AM

I need advice on how to plow b/c the plow kept sliding towards the furrow just completed/avoided breaking new ground.

Bkgrd:

The quality of my PA soil sucks.  It is mostly clay.  By late-August, the ground bakes into something akin to concrete.  That aside, this has been the best growing year in memory - soft rain every few days. ( It makes up for the nasty winter).

I decided to play with the older db yesterday using the plow after the new  5hp tiller proved to be near useless breaking up the soil.   My son thinks he can get some pumpkins grown by Oct 31 if this weather keeps up.

My experience with the DB plowing:

When I finished a row across the plot, I would do an immediate U-turn and do the next row.  The moldboard would be reversed and the plow would try to walk towards the previous row, which offered less soil resistance, than break virgin ground.     

Solution?

Always going in the same direction for every furrow so the moldboard is always pushing towards softer ground?  I imagine there is an easier/more efficient technique.

Your thoughts/experience?  Thanks.

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 03:56 PM

All of your furrows should run in the same direction.  If you are going to plow on the return trip, you need to move over half the field width.

http://amigatec.net/...ments/57552.pdf

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, August 07, 2015 - 03:56 PM.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 10:19 PM

I was having that same problem with mine . I found out my problem was the beam was bent making the plow point to the side . Even then its pretty tough job . Good luck

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 07:59 AM

Welcome to GTtalk DB! Great to see another member from Lancaster! I am in the north end of the county.

I have seen plowing done two ways. Start in the middle and go in a clockwise motion to turn, always flipping to the middle. Or start on the outside and turn counter clockwise, always flipping to the outside. The farmers that still regularly moldboard plow, often flip thier patterns so you don't work the dirt to one end or the other. On a hillside usually always flip uphill if possible because the rains will move it down.

• MH81, Alc and dblover have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 08:12 AM

Welcome to GTtalk DB! Great to see another member from Lancaster! I am in the north end of the county.
I have seen plowing done two ways. Start in the middle and go in a clockwise motion to turn, always flipping to the middle. Or start on the outside and turn counter clockwise, always flipping to the outside. The farmers that still regularly moldboard plow, often flip thier patterns so you don't work the dirt to one end or the other. On a hillside usually always flip uphill if possible because the rains will move it down.

Exactly. :ditto: