• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jscam OFFLINE  

jscam

• Member No: 1902
  • 21 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 04:35 AM

I'm a long way from getting to the mower deck in my restoration, and don't have a clue as to what I'll need, but a thought occured to me. I've seen numerous reference to how difficult it is to get parts for the Massey decks. Has anyone ever tried to retrofit MTD or something similar (easy to get) mandrels etc. to a Massey deck?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 07:45 AM

If I am not mistaken the spindle bearings are somewhat easily obtainable. The gear boxes may be a different story but I am pretty sure the decks on the MF10/MF12 use the same gear box as the MF7/MF8 decks and those decks have two of the gear boxes on them.

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 11:52 AM

No problems at all finding parts for them really. Here is a trick if your bevel gears in the box are worn. You can swap the gears around and they will mate on the other side. This will get more life out of them for a long time.

Here is the build thread when I rebuilt mine. All the info you need, and bearing part numbers are in this thread.
Mower deck rebuild - w/photos - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 01:46 PM

i have a gear box sitting on the rack if you want it

#5 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 04:40 PM

PS, the 7/8 gear box ix not the same as the 10/12 box. However, the internal gears are the same. You "may" be able to swap in some shafts from the 10/12 into the 7/8 box, but the 7/8 box has one side of the box made to attach the blades, and the other has splines for the coupler. The 10/12 box is designed for pulley's on both sides.

I am running a gear from my 8's deck in my 12's gear box so I know the gears are the same. You normally will find worn gears, but like I had mentioned, you can run on the other side of the gear and they mesh smooth.

#6 jscam OFFLINE  

jscam

• Member No: 1902
  • 21 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 08:43 PM

Thanks guys, I'll keep all of that in mind. I did roll the deck over the other day and gave the blades a spin (at least they DID turn) felt pretty rough. No idea if it was the spindles or the gear box................yet