• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 abcal87 OFFLINE  

abcal87
  • Member No: 19870
  • 15 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 04:37 AM

i have a 240000 model series briggs that needs valve guide bushings. the valve guide repair kit for 5/16 valves #19232 is no longer avalable and i cant find one anywhere or a person in the state that can do a thing!! what reamer is need than are not briggs reamers to reame the guide out is what i need to know.. the bushings i have are #231218... maybe im just really over thinking this or im look in the wrong places ....... could just be a dumba** attack........

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 07:16 AM

I'll run the numbers on the kit and see what I get

If you just want to drive the valves out you can just buy briggs valve guide driver separately

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 08:10 AM

i have a 240000 model series briggs that needs valve guide bushings. the valve guide repair kit for 5/16 valves #19232 is no longer avalable and i cant find one anywhere or a person in the state that can do a thing!! what reamer is need than are not briggs reamers to reame the guide out is what i need to know.. the bushings i have are #231218... maybe im just really over thinking this or im look in the wrong places ....... could just be a dumba** attack........

I'm confused, but that's my problem!

Does your engine have cast-iron guides, brass guides, sintered iron guides, or brass bushings in the guides?  

If you have cast-iron guides (cast-iron block), the existing valve guides are reamed and a brass bushing is installed.  (We would use B&S # 230655 valve guide bushing.  -- I don't know if that has been replaced by #231218. )

If your guides are already bushed, then the old bushings need to be removed, and new bushings installed.

Not all B&S engines had removable valve guides!  .....On many models, the valve guides were part of the block casting, and could NOT be removed.  ....Trying to drive them out would destroy the guide!

Are you just asking for the dimensions of the reamers required?  .....Can you accurately measure the O.D. of the #231218 bushing?

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#4 abcal87 OFFLINE  

abcal87
  • 15 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 08:39 AM

yes the guides are not removeable and the guides havent been rebushed..... its a cast iron block.... should of said in the post my bad.... 

yeah thats what i would like to know size of counterbore reamer i need........ since briggs discontiuned the 5/16 valve guide repair kit the only one around is for the 1/4 valve guides  

the O.D. of the #231218 bushing is .367''..... #231218 is the number the parts place gave for my model the manual has my part number and other numbers as well..   

Edited by abcal87, August 07, 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 09:15 AM

OK - I'll have to dig out my B&S reamer & checked the size for you.

I don't think I have a #230655 bushing on hand to measure, but I assume it would have the same OD as the #231218 bushing, since the same reamer is used.

One difference that I notice (in the B&S Repair Manuals) is that the #231218 bushing needs to be finished-reamed after installation, while the #230655 bushing does not.

One trick that I used to use after installing a bushing, was to drive a steel ball of the appropriate size through the installed bushing.  ....This would re-shape any distortion of the bushing from being driven into place. 

• Bolens 1000, Alc and abcal87 have said thanks

#6 abcal87 OFFLINE  

abcal87
  • 15 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 09:49 AM

yeah i seen that in my manual as well... now im wondering why i went with the #231218.... oh well if i worry about it to much ill just order the #230655 bushing which maybe the better choice...

iv found a 23/64'' 0.3594'' counterbore reamer would that work or be on the small side??? thats as close as i can find....   

Edited by abcal87, August 08, 2015 - 02:00 AM.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 10:42 AM

I have no answers just questions lol

When these valve guides go bad is it because they aren't sealing or oil being sucked past them ?

They don't make oversize valves that you could just ream the guides to fit ?

Years ago machine shops would  Knurl " valve guides on car engines  , ( short term fix at best ) not done on small engines ?

#8 abcal87 OFFLINE  

abcal87
  • 15 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 12:48 AM

oversized valves i havent a clue lol and anything else iv asked around at machine shops all over and its just a sea of dumb faces or dont want to buy one tool for one engine....... mostly not making big money on it....... one guy was lost and didnt beleave that briggs made a cast iron engine... small engine shops all over been giving me the run around.... mostly they just dont have the tool or just dont want to do it.... welcome to nebraska but im sure its everywhere as well..... 

Edited by abcal87, August 08, 2015 - 04:10 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#9 abcal87 OFFLINE  

abcal87
  • 15 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 05:13 AM

ok ok like iv said im over thinking this with a side of dumba$$ attack.... :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  i look up all the tools part # found everything thats in the kit.... why i didnt do that in the first place is beyond me...... :mad2:  you would think if the kit is no longer avalable everything in the kit shouldnt be avalable as well????? :wallbanging:  :wallbanging: only thing i found is that there the B&S #19231 counterbore reamer some places then theres a B&S #19231 pilot reamer at others.....  no pic to speak of but im sure there going to be the same tool....... :mad2:  :wallbanging: 

Edited by abcal87, August 08, 2015 - 05:14 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#10 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 08:31 AM

yeah i seen that in my manual as well... now im wondering why i went with the #231218.... oh well if i worry about it to much ill just order the #230655 bushing which maybe the better choice...

iv found a 23/64'' 0.3594'' counterbore reamer would that work or be on the small side??? thats as close as i can find....   

The reamer which I purchased from B&S (part # long gone) for 5/16" valve guides is as follows:

pilot size of reamer = .312" dia x 1" long

cutting size of reamer = .364" dia x 1.1" long

overall length = 4.6"

There is also the spacer/bushing which centers the reamer in the valve seat, to help keep things concentric.  .... This piece is .680" thick, and has a center hole sized to fit the shank of the reamer.  .....It is tapered slightly to allow it to center in several-sizes of valve seats.  ...The larger dia = 1.180".  ....The smaller dia = 1.10".

After the valve guide is bushed, the valve seat needs to be refaced to insure the valve seat is concentric to the valve guide.  ....This requires more specialized tools.

If you were close, I would gladly do the job for you (for free) !!

• Alc and abcal87 have said thanks

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 10:47 AM

I have no answers just questions lol

When these valve guides go bad is it because they aren't sealing or oil being sucked past them ?

They don't make oversize valves that you could just ream the guides to fit ?

Years ago machine shops would  Knurl " valve guides on car engines  , ( short term fix at best ) not done on small engines ?

Hi, Al.

No oversize valves are available from B&S as far as I know. 

When the guides wear excessively, the valve does not seat properly, because it can come down "off-center."  ...Granted, it may not be by a lot, but enough to lessen compression pressure. 

Under the exhaust valve, should not see vacuum, since the piston is moving upward during the exhaust stroke.  ...The exhaust valve should be seated for most of the rest of the cycles, so not much oil would be sucked past the exhaust valve guide.  ....This is the reason some engines only had seals on intake valves/guides.

There is a much greater chance of oil being sucked in through the intake valve guide, since vacuum is present during the intake stroke.  ...Worn intake valve guides will allow more oil to be sucked in.

Knurling seems to be something of the past.  ....I have never heard or seen it done on small-engines, but I suppose it is possible on cast-iron engines.  ....From what I have read in the past, knurling is a temporary "patch" at best.

• Alc said thank you

#12 abcal87 OFFLINE  

abcal87
  • 15 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 10:57 AM

The reamer which I purchased from B&S (part # long gone) for 5/16" valve guides is as follows:

pilot size of reamer = .312" dia x 1" long

cutting size of reamer = .364" dia x 1.1" long

overall length = 4.6"

There is also the spacer/bushing which centers the reamer in the valve seat, to help keep things concentric.  .... This piece is .680" thick, and has a center hole sized to fit the shank of the reamer.  .....It is tapered slightly to allow it to center in several-sizes of valve seats.  ...The larger dia = 1.180".  ....The smaller dia = 1.10".

After the valve guide is bushed, the valve seat needs to be refaced to insure the valve seat is concentric to the valve guide.  ....This requires more specialized tools.

If you were close, I would gladly do the job for you (for free) !!

i have found the reamer and everything to rebush the valve guides......... briggs just dont have it as a kit anymore... but looks like everything i need is still avalable...... should of look for the individual tool numbers rather than the kit number lol that was my bad on that part........

yeah i dont have the seat cutter and it cost a bit much.... that part not sure what im going to do.... i thought that a machine shop or  small engine shop would of been able to do the valve work for me but then i fine out no one will..... so yeah...... 

thanks if i was close you dont know how fast i would be there lol 

Edited by abcal87, August 08, 2015 - 11:05 AM.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you