9 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 05:38 PM

Just traded for an H-16, not running.  Has spark and compression.  Inside a shed and need to move it.  Trying to find the manual for it but the search don't find anything for an H-16.  I need to move it for loading and need to know how to get it into free wheel.  Any suggestions other than jack it up and then winch it on the trailer ? ?   Going after it tomorrow.   Thanks for the information.

• WrenchinOnIt and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 05:55 PM

The tube frame H16 is a 1656.

http://www.tractorda...olens-h-16.html

Paul

• WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 05:59 PM

Thanks much Paul.  Will see what I can shake out of the manuals.

Rog

• Paulgo said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 06:07 PM

The H14 owners manual should get you close enough for now http://gardentractor...-owners-manual/

These do not have a free wheel pin, you just have to push them slowly so you dont load up the tranny.

• WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#5 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 06:09 PM

Just traded for an H-16, ...... I need to move it for loading and need to know how to get it into free wheel.  Any suggestions other than jack it up and then winch it on the trailer ? ?   Going after it tomorrow.   Thanks for the information.

Left side (sitting on tractor) there is a l shaped lever that can be pulled down and locked on a stud, realising the tension ( via the idler pulley) of the drive belts, however you won't push or pull it very far without the rear end locking up ( there is no by pass on the hydro) free wheeling isn't really free on this one, go slow air up the tires and winch it on sounds like a good plan
  • Bolens 1000, boyscout862, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 08:04 PM

Got it home and it rolls fairly easily.  When rolling there is a ratcheting sound.  Heard it when it rolled of the tilt bed trailer.  Sure hope the hydro isn't screwed up on it.  Going to change the hydro oil and filter once I get the engine running.  Need a wiring diagram for it now.  found a couple wires with the ends stripped back in the battery area.  One is a #10 blue and the other is about a 16 or 18 red.  Blue one was under the battery tray.  Found it when I removed the tray to clean the crud out.

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 09:00 PM

This should be interesting.  Have the wiring diagram and no blue wires used.  Wonder what gremlin was in there to mess that up.  Time to start tracing wires I guess.  Don't you love it when people mess up a wire and just grab any color/size wire that get their hands on and stick it in there.  Usually just twisted with some cheap black plastic tape around it in a wad.

#8 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 07:10 AM

Got it home and it rolls fairly easily.  When rolling there is a ratcheting sound.  Heard it when it rolled of the tilt bed trailer.  Sure hope the hydro isn't screwed up on it.  Going to change the hydro oil and filter once I get the engine running.  Need a wiring diagram for it now.  found a couple wires with the ends stripped back in the battery area.  One is a #10 blue and the other is about a 16 or 18 red.  Blue one was under the battery tray.  Found it when I removed the tray to clean the crud out.

Ratcheting sound is normal.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150809_080514_hdr_kindlephoto-6538972.jpg

• chieffan said thank you

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 07:49 AM

Thanks much WrenchinOnIt.  Glad to know that sound is normal.  Feel much better now.  Thanks for that wiring diagram.  I found one in a Service Manual and looks like the same diagram.  No blue wires in either.  will to some tracing back today and see what happened where.  got over an inch of rain last night.  Was going to pick cucumbers this morning but get to work on the tractor instead - -unless the granddaughter wants to run the garden trains.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 06:07 PM

I have the manual for the H14.  My tractor is an H16 but the only difference that I am aware of is the size of the engine, correct? 

On figure 31 it shows an arrow pointing down to the left side of the rear gear case with a notation of "Drain Plug".  I removed both of the bottom 12 point bolts and no oil came out.  I checked to be sure they were open and nothing was blocking the hole.  I removed the level and fill plug and very little oil came out and did not look like hydraulic oil.  Looked more like gear oil.

Is there a drain plug for the hydrostat?  If so, exactly where is it located or how is it drained for new oil?  I have removed the filter and still have oil in the

hydraulic oil tank.

I understand that the gear case and hydrostat are completely separate units, is this correct?

Where is the drain plug for the gear case located?

This is my first Bolens Hydro and with limited information in the H14 20 page manual I could sure use some direction.  Thanks much for you help.