29 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 03:36 PM

My wife and I went out today to see about a loan for a possible purchase of our neighboring lot(3 acres) 

Go to the bank, got approved for the loan, but turns out pulling my credit I have 2 collections against me.  I have never not paid a bill in my life.  Divorce messed my credit a bit, but was shocked when they said I had collections.

What a racket this is.  One is for Columbia Gas from 2012 when I sold my last house.  I remember clearly calling them, telling them my house was sold, and I was cancelling.  I needed to pay my last months bill for half a month.  It was 45 dollars and some change.  Wrote a check, paid it off.  Now they have a collection out for me for 401 dollars of past due bills.  They are sending me statements via email to tell me what they are for.  Haven't received them yet.  They have a record of my 45 dollars but can't tell me where the other 401 came from!

Dish network says I still owe them 200 dollars for not returning equipment, also 3 years ago.  I do not have records, only my memory of boxing up the stuff in the box they sent and dropping it off at the UPS store.  Called them argued up and down with them, and they said nope you never sent it back.

This is a complete scam in my mind.  They can say you owe whatever, and you really have no recourse other than to pay it or get a lawyer and the cost of a lawyer would be well more than 601 dollars.

Going forward I am going to get everything in writing and freaking save it forever.  I guess my lack of record keeping has cost me 600 dollars.

• KennyP, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 03:46 PM

Went though that crap with Direct TV years ago.They keep adding Late charges every month and no notifications about them adding charges.

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 04:02 PM

The gas company bill should be easy to fight. A copy of the deed showing when you sold it. The proof is that they billed you for a partial month. That would only happen when there has been a cancellation. They screwed up and were probably billing both parties. I hand return equipment and get a receipt. They don't want to give a receipt most of the time but I push until I get it. Good Luck, Rick

This is why you need to check your credit report 3x per year. This is the place for free reports. Get one at a time spaced out every four months.  https://www.annualcr...om/index.action

Edited by boyscout862, August 06, 2015 - 04:07 PM.

• KennyP, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 05:16 PM

That kind of stuff happens all the time.  In that last several years Insurance companies are even using your credit rating to see if they want to insure you or not, or keep you insured.  I use to worry about that kind of stuff but found out it did no good.  At 75 my property is real close to being paid for.  If I need money I go to my back and tell them how much and what for and how long.  They make out a 1 page note, I sign it and walk with the money.  The property is not in my name so tough poo getting anything more than what is due.  My credit is good with 2 cards and John Deer Financial, along with several business I use on a daily basis.  They could care less what my credit score is and so could I.  Advantages of living in a small community rural area where they all know everybody else.

• lyall, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 05:33 PM

I had the same trouble with Direct TV. When a box went bad, they sent us a new one and when questioned the woman on the line said just send us the SIM card. Are you sure? Yup! That box laid around for months until I tossed it. And then the company calls and wants to know why we didn't send back the box. And then the fight started!

As for the blood sucking credit card companies, we wanted to pay off and consolidate our accounts. We told them so and asked for a final bill. Sent the payment in, only in the time it took for them to receive it, they added on some more interest. Got a bill for a couple dollars more, etc., etc.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 05:43 PM

I'll investigate the gas bill. Not sure what to do with the dish. Probably just pay it. They hold you hostage.

They are small amounts but still leave a black mark on my credit.

This is a racket. My credit score is OK. My divorce and my ex wife lies and me being naive hit me hard dropping me down to where I couldn't get a pair of shoes on credit.

Now I'm OK but need to get it higher.

At least I have some more acres to mow that I don't have time to fool with. But at least it keeps someone from buying it and putting a trailer on it.
  • Delmar, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 05:46 PM

I had a problem years ago after I had cancelled service with US Cellular.

I was turned over to a collection agency for a fraudulent cell service. 

I finally got it straightened out but it was time consuming on my end.

• toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 06:15 PM

Big business and corporations are great what are you guys talking about ? they have your best interest in mind their for the middle class working people right ?
  • Gtractor, Alc, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#9 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 06:52 PM

Big business and corporations are great what are you guys talking about ? they have your best interest in mind their for the middle class working people right ?

And, while you're on hold: "your call is important to us"!

• Alc, boyscout862, EricR and 4 others have said thanks

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 08:46 PM

It may have changed since the store I work for was a Dish Dealer, but I believe they had to charge you between 30-60 days.
They certainly shouldn't be able to push it out this far...
If they sent the shipping lables, was it UPS or FED EX? Either way, if they generated the lables, it should be shown on your acct? Have them give you those numbers and then you can call ups/ex to track it. (Or maybe do it online)
Hopefully, this works and you can resove it quickly.
I would also consider a claim with the BBB in your state. They have 45 days to respond to that. I would wait until they claim no records of the lables first tho.
  • Alc, boyscout862, LilysDad and 3 others have said thanks

#11 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,101 Thanks
  • 3,194 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 09:00 PM

Your call is important to us, yea right. While they drain you of you money. Our Visa card was hit last month. Over 500.00 in charges that we did not make. Two charges were for Tim Hortons coffee at 98.00 a piece, on the same day. !!! I might buy one coffee there in a day and always pay by cash. !!!! Ask me if I am pissed off !! Noel
Sorry for getting of topic.

Edited by propane1, August 06, 2015 - 09:04 PM.

• MH81, grnspot110, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#12 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 09:11 PM

My credit card company notifies me if they see something outside my normal buying routine or if a large transaction occurs. They've even held some transactions until I told them they were ok. Cable companies are the worst. They are monopolistic son of a guns and they know it. They will run your bill up little by little until you are paying a small fortune to watch tv and have Internet service. I had a particularly interesting day at work a few months ago and took it out on the cable company. It took about forty five minutes and four people on the phone but I got my bill cut dramatically. Stay after them. They are counting on you wearing down first.
  • grnspot110, Alc, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 05:30 AM

I've never checked my credit score or followed things like that but I guess I should , there might be things on there that I don't even know about

• grnspot110, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 06:15 AM

It's the wonderful age of computers!  The computer says you owe us money so you must pay.  "The computer says so" is equivalent to the gun that killed the man.  They both have one thing in common, humans!  Each requires human input to function, otherwise they just sit there and wait.  I agree with what's been said about staying on them.  Most of these "humans" will count on you going away and writing the check rather than deal with their garbage.  They know that there is probably a mistake, otherwise you wouldn't be calling.  It just requires more work on their end and, let's face it, humans have gotten very lazy (thank you again computers).  Be thankful you don't get parking tickets from places you've never been.  In the last 20 years I've received parking tickets from Philadelphia twice and Kane, PA once.  I've lived in PA all my life and have never visited either place.  It took me probably upwards of 30 phone calls and a fax to clear up EACH of the Philly tickets and one call to Kane.  When I called the office in Kane I told them what I was calling for but that I had one question before we continued, "where is Kane, PA?"  The lady said "Well, how can you have a parking ticket from Kane if you don't know where it is?"  I said "exactly".  So she asked me what I drive and I told her.  She said "that's not a green Subaru" and said it would be taken care of.  I told her that wasn't good enough and asked for a letter from the police chief stating that the situation was cleared up and that I owed them nothing.  About a week later I got the letter in the mail.  Nice people.  My point is, stay after them and, when it's finally resolved, ask for something to keep them honest.  Turn the tables on them.  I wont even get into the time I had to cancel my dad's cable to switch to something else.  Cable companies don't like you to leave.

• MH81, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 06:39 AM

It may have changed since the store I work for was a Dish Dealer, but I believe they had to charge you between 30-60 days.
They certainly shouldn't be able to push it out this far...
If they sent the shipping lables, was it UPS or FED EX? Either way, if they generated the lables, it should be shown on your acct? Have them give you those numbers and then you can call ups/ex to track it. (Or maybe do it online)
Hopefully, this works and you can resove it quickly.
I would also consider a claim with the BBB in your state. They have 45 days to respond to that. I would wait until they claim no records of the lables first tho.

They already told me they have no record of my labels being received.  They said "there is nothing we can do, we simply have no record of your equipment being returned to us, so therefore you owe us for the equipment you did not return"

• boyscout862, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks