• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SpencerHealey OFFLINE  

SpencerHealey
  • Member No: 73934
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 07:26 PM

Hello, I am new to the forums. I have a Ariens GT17 with the Kohler motor in it. I've had it a year now and this is 1/13 that we own. It was the only running one up until yesterday. I was mowing with it and stopped shut it down to move a rock, got back on and nothing. I turn the key and get nothing. If i jump the solenoid i get it to crank but no start. I'm assuming this means a safety is tripped and stopping the spark. My seat switch and park switch are both bypassed. I am lost as of where to go from here. Any help is appreciated. 

#2 djordje33 OFFLINE  

djordje33
  • Member No: 62653
  • 20 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 04:24 AM

Check for spark. Some tractors will allow for bypassing of switches, but the Ariens will create other problems such as battery drain, hour meters running wild, and coils staying energized. If the coil has been staying on for quite some time, it just may be one of the instances where it finally had enough. I had similar issue with one of my previous GT17's and after I exhausted all options, I played with the pto switches while attempting to crank and it started. After cleaning up the terminals on both pto switches I never had that problem again. Could also be a fried out interlock board or module. Because of all these electrical uncertainties, I completely rewired both of my GT18's to my liking. Hope something helps here. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Diesel1050 OFFLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 348 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 08:33 AM

Alot of these machines use the ammeter to finalize the circuit. Is that unplugged?

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 10:03 AM

Welcome to GTT. We have a Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day) where you might find the wiring diagram. Good Luck, Rick

Try this one: http://gardentractor...-manual-931000/

and maybe this one; http://gardentractor...-rotary-mowers/

Edited by boyscout862, August 06, 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 04:37 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!
There are a number of things it could be. From a broken wire to a failed coil. The pto switch can be troublesome if corrosion gets in there. Good luck finding the problem.

#6 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 09:41 AM

I'll guess it has the old transistor board interlock. Somewhere in here I wrote how to bypass it but I can't find it. I had to do it to my loader tractor when I wouldn't start one day.

unplug the connector from the board, jumper the 3rd connector (yellow wire to pto switch) to the 4th connector (red wire from ignition switch) this will supply power to the pto switch all the time, unless your battery is dead ;)

also have to jumper the 1st connector (yellow wire from seat switch) to the 2nd connector (black wire to ingition switch) so you can get it started.

• shorty said thank you

#7 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 09:42 AM

Starting on page 19 is the electrical, Starting on page 52 is the electrical trouble shooting

http://apache.ariens...als/000127A.pdf 

• shorty said thank you

#8 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 09:53 AM

I'll guess it has the old transistor board interlock. Somewhere in here I wrote how to bypass it but I can't find it. I had to do it to my loader tractor when I wouldn't start one day.

unplug the connector from the board, jumper the 3rd connector (yellow wire to pto switch) to the 4th connector (red wire from ignition switch) this will supply power to the pto switch all the time, unless your battery is dead ;)

also have to jumper the 1st connector (yellow wire from seat switch) to the 2nd connector (black wire to ingition switch) so you can get it started.

I followed Wm's instructions and built my own delay module. Made a few minor changes to his design based on some additional research. It is working great. You can buy the parts from Mouser for a song compared to cost of new module. Let me know if you are interested and I will post a parts list and diagram.
  • Wm McNett said thank you

#9 SpencerHealey OFFLINE  

SpencerHealey
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 11:07 AM

I cant figure out how to add a photo. My setup isnt the older one its newer. its the newer style. everyone is telling me check for spark and i think they missed the first part i have no crank whatsoever i turn the key and have nothing. I have power to the ignition and i dont know what to follow from there. I really need some help as my grass is a foot tall and this is my mower. I have no clue where to go . I have 13 so tell me what i need to replace and ill go take it off of another tractor and try that. I dont have the money for new parts its the only way im going to make this work. 

Edited by SpencerHealey, August 10, 2015 - 10:08 PM.

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 12:37 PM

I cant figure out how to add a photo.

Adding a photo is simple.
At the bottom of the blank box where you would type in your next reply, there is a "more reply options" button. (Next to the "post" button
It will take you to a slightly different screen. Type in your reply, use the "attach files" buttons to add a pic.
  • KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 04:52 PM

Or click on the link in my signature for a 'how-to'.

#12 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 03:02 AM

I cant figure out how to add a photo. My setup isnt the older one its newer. Like i said i have 13 of these now all currently not running. its the newer style. everyone is telling me check for spark and i think they missed the first part i have no crank whatsoever i turn the key and have nothing. I have power to the ignition and i dont know what to follow from there. I really need some help as my grass is a foot tall and this is my mower. I have no clue where to go . I have 13 so tell me what i need to replace and ill go take it off of another tractor and try that. I dont have the money for new parts its the only way im going to make this work.

Do you power to the starter solenoid when you turn the ignition key to crank? If you do, I would think you have a bad solenoid or starter. Also, check to be sure your solenoid is grounded.

If you have plenty of spare parts, I would replace the time delay module next and carefully check all wires to make sure one hasn't rubbed off the insulation and grounding out.

Edited by artbuc, August 10, 2015 - 03:05 AM.

#13 SpencerHealey OFFLINE  

SpencerHealey
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 01:05 PM

Do you power to the starter solenoid when you turn the ignition key to crank? If you do, I would think you have a bad solenoid or starter. Also, check to be sure your solenoid is grounded.

If you have plenty of spare parts, I would replace the time delay module next and carefully check all wires to make sure one hasn't rubbed off the insulation and grounding out.

Have no power to small line on solenoid when i turn key to crank. Time delay didnt make a difference. 

#14 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Have no power to small line on solenoid when i turn key to crank. Time delay didnt make a difference. 

Sorry, I missed your statement re jumping the solenoid. Do you have power supply to the ignition switch? Best thing is to get a test light, start at the battery and work your way through the start circuit.

#15 SpencerHealey OFFLINE  

SpencerHealey
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 03:30 PM

Have power to the ignition switch. So far have replaced ignition switch, both pto switches, time delay, relay, and now the ignition diode. All fuses check out ok. Where else do i check for power. Are there only the two safety switches? Seat and park switch? Both of mine are bypassed.