9 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 03:38 PM

These are Walla Walla planted in a wide row. The row is about 24 inches Wide and I planted three sets across.
the biggest ones are bigger than my hand. I spread them out on a table in my shed to cure.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo (20).JPG

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 05, 2015 - 03:43 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Traill95, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 03:41 PM

Would you or did you or could you use the same attachment to dig potatoes ?  Just wondering,  Noel

Nice looking onions. 

Edited by propane1, August 05, 2015 - 03:46 PM.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 03:42 PM

NICE!!!

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 03:48 PM

Would you or did you or could you use the same attachment to dig potatoes ? Just wondering, Noel

No I pulled these by hand. My ground is a clay loam mix and can get so compacted it can strangle root crops.
Onions do best if only the roots are in the ground and the bulb forms above the soil.
The bigger ones formed the bulb above the soil surface the smaller ones were deeper.
Yes I could have used the middlebuster to dig them. But these pulled easy,I only had to dig a few.
I have a digger I use metal detecting, and it is one of the best garden tools I have found.(will get a picture)
I have dug garlic with the middle buster.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 05, 2015 - 03:57 PM.

• Alc, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 04:16 PM

I pulled ours a week or so ago.  Had so much rain this spring and still getting way more than we should or need.  Weeds took over the garden, especially the onions.  Had 3' high foxtail in them.  Finally sprayed it with Round-Up and last week pulled the onions.  No size to them and many were starting to rot from the top down. 

So wet all our Pumpkin plants drowned out, planted in large hills.  Tomatoes have large bushes loaded with green tomatoes but real slow ripening.  Once the crops are done going to spray it all with Round-Up.  Then let the weeds come up about 3" and spray it again.  Plow it all under, then next spring wait till the weeds are about 3" high again and spray it again.  Have a chance to kill out 95% of the weeds that way.  Then the Preen will have a chance to work.  This years it washed out before it had a chance to do any good.  Worst year ever for a garden.

• JD DANNELS, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 04:20 PM

Here is a picture of the only digger I used on the onions. It is a digger for metal detecting, another hobby of mine. It is one of the handiest garden tools I have, I use it for planting, harvesting, and often weeding.
This one is made by Treasure Wise.
The potatoes in the picture were dug with the middle buster Sat .morning..

Attached Thumbnails

• photo (21).JPG

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 05, 2015 - 04:23 PM.

• Alc, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 04:31 PM

I pulled ours a week or so ago. Had so much rain this spring and still getting way more than we should or need. Weeds took over the garden, especially the onions. Had 3' high foxtail in them. Finally sprayed it with Round-Up and last week pulled the onions. No size to them and many were starting to rot from the top down.

So wet all our Pumpkin plants drowned out, planted in large hills. Tomatoes have large bushes loaded with green tomatoes but real slow ripening. Once the crops are done going to spray it all with Round-Up. Then let the weeds come up about 3" and spray it again. Plow it all under, then next spring wait till the weeds are about 3" high again and spray it again. Have a chance to kill out 95% of the weeds that way. Then the Preen will have a chance to work. This years it washed out before it had a chance to do any good. Worst year ever for a garden.

I have not gotten nearly as much rain as you have, though we have had plenty. These are the nicest onions I have grown in the 5 yrs we have been on this place. It was the weeds getting so high that prompted me to pull these.
I had onions, garlic, shallots, corn and potatoes in this patch. Once I get the shallots and second row of onions pulled I will disc the west side of the patch. The second row of onions were planted 3 weeks later than these, I do not expect much for size from them. As far as the pumpkins go if they ripen we should do pretty well,I only plant pie pumpkins.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 05, 2015 - 04:41 PM.

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 06:10 PM

Great crop of onions!

#9 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Nice crop of potatoes. I am going to have to wait for a number of weeks before any size gets to the potatoes. Not quite as good of crop this year. Last year we would pull one or two plants for a few suppers. If I did that this year , I would not have any to ripen and harvest. Noel

#10 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 06:48 AM

Boy that is a nice crop of onion! The ones we get here are so strong they will make your eyes water a 100' away! And then they do it all again the next day.......
  • JD DANNELS and propane1 have said thanks