16 Variable speed cam grinding

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 indslpwr04 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 71143
  • 26 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 02:15 PM

I finally got dads twin 16 VS running.  The one has a sever grinding noise coming from the cam/ramp slide thing on the right rear frame.  Its got a bunch of grooves in it.  

How exactly does this system work?

What would have caused this?

How best to fix it?  Welding grinding fab is no concern for me.

Thanks  video  https://plus.google....sts/NEQzEdAkwps

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150731_210719.jpg

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 157 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 11:03 AM

That is the variable speed system.  That cam is supposed to have a gradual ramp on it that contacts a button on the pulley.  As you pull the lever, the cam moves and allows the pulley to spread or pushes it together, changing the pulley ratio.  They do not work very well over time because of wear.  You will probably find the pulley halves are worn out, too.  Parts are NLA.  You can just remove the variable pulley and put on a fixed pulley.  I have two of these tractors, one has a fast pulley for mowing and plowing, the other has a slow pulley for tilling and snow blowing.  They pulley is easy to change, so you could feasibly swap ratios if you wanted.

#3 Diamond_Jim OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58672
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 12:15 PM

I went a different route.  There is a guy in Michigan that repairs the variable speed drive pulleys real economically.  The cam ramp on mine was also badly worn so I simply MIG welded it up and ground it back to the profile it had.

• wards15 said thank you