• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lil misfit OFFLINE  

lil misfit
  • Member No: 73638
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hi all, just picked a set of disc and a cultivator the other day and was wondering about the hitches on them. They look like a brinley sleeve hitch but only about an inch n a half with a single hole top n bottom. Will try to get some pics up later as I haven't figured out how yet.

#2 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 03:33 PM

:welcometogttalk:

I think I have seen hitches like you are describing. They just aren't as "adjustable" side to side to accommodate different width tractors as the 3 hole implements.

• lil misfit said thank you

#3 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 04:44 PM

If they look like this:

100_4120.JPG

That's normal.

#4 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 04:59 PM

There are early built ones

#5 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 07:19 PM

Now that I think about it....A disc or cultivator pulls directly behind a tractor, and a mold board plow might be off center due to the width of the tractor...That would be why 3 holes on a plow and only 1 on the disc or cultivator.

Anyone agree?

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 04:18 AM

That's correct.
It's been my experience that the only the early implements had that piece, then they went three hole.
For adjustment on the plows, and convenience (why make two different hitches at the factory) and width on the others.

#7 lil misfit OFFLINE  

lil misfit
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 06:26 AM

Thanks guys, that was my thoughts. Doesn't seem like you would need a solid mount other than on the moldboard plow. These look similar to the ones in the pic, think they were from an older simp. walk behind. Pretty rusty but oiled down a few times everything loosened up good. I need to replace the wooden bearing blocks in the disc, any preferance in wood to be used or even alternative material?

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 08:17 AM

Thanks guys, that was my thoughts. Doesn't seem like you would need a solid mount other than on the moldboard plow. These look similar to the ones in the pic, think they were from an older simp. walk behind. Pretty rusty but oiled down a few times everything loosened up good. I need to replace the wooden bearing blocks in the disc, any preferance in wood to be used or even alternative material?

I would say you are right about that. I once had one like in the picture with a wards walk behind.
I think it was built by Simplicity. Should have never let it go.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 08:24 AM

Traditionally the wood bearing blocks were made. With Oak inserts. Greased they would last forever.
Back in the late 50s my dad had a disc Sharpener and would go out to the farms and sharpen discs for farmers.
It was like a big lathe on a trailer, and my job was to take the boxes apart so the sections could be mounted ini the lathe.
There were a lot of horse drawn discs still in use at that time.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 06, 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 08:28 AM

Do some searching on the Internet, people who farm with horses are still using equipment with wood boxing bearings.
Not long ago I stumbled on a source for these bearings but can not rember where.

#11 lil misfit OFFLINE  

lil misfit
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 08:58 AM

Was pretty sure about the oak inserts but don't think I have any handy, but was also considering locust or I may still have a chunk or two of ironwood still. Another thought was trying some inch thick polymer, maybe 3-4 layers compressed, wonder how that would up . Not going to be in constant use so may try it.

#12 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 09:24 AM

If they look like this:

That's normal.

I have one similar to this one, I just welded on a flat piece of steel at the hitch point so I could adjust the slack out of it.

Sure wish I could find 4 more of the tines like the ones in the picture though, haven't had much luck.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 12:01 PM

Was pretty sure about the oak inserts but don't think I have any handy, but was also considering locust or I may still have a chunk or two of ironwood still. Another thought was trying some inch thick polymer, maybe 3-4 layers compressed, wonder how that would up . Not going to be in constant use so may try it.

Good luck working Ironwood! Locust might worrk? I think I rember that the hubs on wooden wagon wheels were made from apple before they used bearings?

#14 lil misfit OFFLINE  

lil misfit
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 12:33 PM

Yes that ironwood lives up to its name ! And I believe you're right about the apple as well, seems that I've read that before somewhere. I believe most fruit trees were used in building for different purposes. Just debating on green or dry wood to use now.

#15 lil misfit OFFLINE  

lil misfit
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 12:39 PM

Victor, Im going to be going to look at a pile of atatchments for some cultivators in the next week or so, if there are any I'll get with you.