• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 08:20 PM

Hi All, I picked up a 2 and a half Kohler K321's last Saturday, they have been sitting around for some time, the good they are in good condition overall the bad is they where hydraulic drive engine so they have a short small dia cranks like a a Case engine. Yesterday I worked on one of them cleaned the points connected the ignition wires installed a used carb  and a starter, cranked it over had 50 PIS compression good for an engine with a compression release, had good spark so I open the gas shutoff and in a couple of revs it was running and boy does it run nice. Ran it more today got 45 minutes or more run time on it now no smoking no blow by at the breather starts right up. So I'm thinking (I know that can be dangerous) I have another worn out K321 has the right crank but it will need to be turned down  or welded up and turn to std, so I've been thinking weld the crank and get it to std then remove the shorty crank and install the rebuilt one, leaving the piston assy in place and reusing it. Or should I just turn the crank down to what it takes and buy a OH kit with a new rod piston rings etc and go that way?  What you think???

• propane1 and JBRamsey have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 10:29 PM

I'd get the right crank redone at a reputable, real, genuine machine shop (not a fly by night shop that will destroy what good you have) and then install it into your running engine.

I would reseal it with gaskets and possibly a good ring set... if I thought it needed it, just to save another possible teardown in a few hundred hours for a simple ring job.   

Ben W.

• Alc, boyscout862, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,718 Thanks
  • 4,276 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 10:14 AM

Another option would be to buy a new crank or find a good used. I had a K181 crank cut n.010 under at a good shop and within a year it was worn out. When I took it back they told me that some of the Kohler cranks are only hard on the surface and that 10 thou down went past the hardness. I had to buy another crank anyway and another rod. Had I known, I would have just gotten a new crank to start with and saved myself the trouble.

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#4 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 11:32 AM

Case tractors are pretty cheap right now maybe look for a good deal on a Case then you have a spare engine.

• MNGB said thank you

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 01:15 PM

Hi all, thanks for the replies, I have 2 excellent machine shop's that can do the crank work so no problems there, buying a new Kohler crank is out a almost $500.00, and I just sold my very nice Case cause I like Power kings better so that is out.

A good machine shop can do a Rockwell harness test on a Crank to determine is its been ground though the hardness.

Edited by MNGB, August 05, 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 10:03 PM

Ok I worked on the 2nd engine would start, pulled the head and soon discovered why it had a bent exhaust valve, replaced the exhaust valve with a good used one reassembled the engine and cranked it and it started almost instantly, it also runs very nice, ran it for about a hour no smoke and no detectable oil usage. When I had the head off I mic'd the bore and its has little to no wear and its round and the walls are straight, so I have 2 good running engines, tomorrow I may remove the crankshaft from the engine with a correct CS and get it ready to take to the machine shop. I may then see if the 3rd engine will run.

• Cvans said thank you

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 09:55 PM

Hi all, the crankshaft is at the machine shop to be turned -.010 ordered an overhaul kit so I'm making progress on the engine front will have an overhauled engine for the PK,  Have serviced both trannys and the differential and final drives the steering GB and greased the front axle.

Worked on the 3rd engine I got with the engine purchase and its running good, I may sell one and have one for a spare.