• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • Member No: 73130
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 02:22 AM

I got stuck in a deal like this last year. A friend had a B112 of his dads that sat in a barn for 20 years. He just wanted it running and cleaned up , no paint. Rusty gas tank , crapped up carb, bad belts, stuck valve, flat tires, no spark... etc. The first thing I asked him was "what is your budget?" He said $1000. After fighting it for a month, he picked it up and payed me $1000. $500 for parts, $500 labor. I quit counting at 100 hours. Hard to find a mower shop to work on your crap for less than $5 an hour

I would do something similar to this^^^ Sometimes you just have to eat some time. You did part way get yourself into this so I say just eat some time and do it right if its possible. The biggest problem I see is the missing/wrong parts. You will probably enjoy working on it so that will help some.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#32 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 05:59 AM

When it comes to friends or family you charge your usual rate. I will help a friend/family member work on a project free of charge of course but if its dropped off in my yard i will charge for every hour plus any beer consumed! Its not like the owner of the project you are looking at is incapable,,he just does not want to do it! Its a tedious and time consuming project and even more tedious that it is somewhat of a puzzle.....

#33 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 06:20 AM

I wouldn't comment on the quality of the work that's already done. Get him to come over, go through what's there and what's not there, what still needs paint, etc.. Then when you are talking about what needs paint, you can talk about how hard it can be to get paint to match after the fact and see where he goes with that.

Tell him if you do it, it will be a long time to completion so if he's in a hurry he can tell you then. At that point, you can refer him to other people.

If he still wants you to take it on and you are willing, agree to a payment schedule upfront. Get a quarter of the estimate to start, do some work, then get another draw down the road.

I don't see this as a huge dilemma. You're both grown men, be upfront with him but not critical of the work so far and it will work out. All people really want is honesty and clarity.

Good luck.
  • johndeereelfman, shorty, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#34 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 06:23 AM

I don't see this as a huge dilemma. You're both grown men, be upfront with him but not critical of the work so far and it will work out. All people really want is honesty and clarity.

Good luck.

Agreed.

• johndeereelfman and JBRamsey have said thanks

#35 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 07:50 AM

Lots of good opinions

I would just tell him the way it is and see if he takes it back with him, tell him what you'll have to do and how much it will cost.

IMO the tractor actually still needs to be completely torn down and blasted. Almost looks like the case where he thought it was going to be easy then ran into trouble.....

• johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#36 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 01:36 PM

Have him come over and you both work on it together. That way friends can spend some time together and since he is also working on it he cant blame you if it doesn't turn out to his satisfaction. In a situation like that I wouldn't even charge labor for that one project.

#37 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 09:39 PM

Almost looks like the case where he thought it was going to be easy then ran into trouble.....

Exactly where I am coming from.  Its easy to do. 

Ben W.

• johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#38 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 11:00 PM

There are alot of people who are willing to try new things but don't have the patience to see them through. I wouldn't eat any time for him. If you don't value your time he will think that it isn't worth anything. I did a small engineering favor for a coworker 30 years ago and didn't charge him( it only took 4 hours and was fun). The next year he wanted me to do a project that would have take close to a thousand hours( it was for a dam permit). He thought that it would be easy and should be free too. I told him no and let him get an estimate from a consultant($100,000). I've even had towns ask me to do free engineering for them. I learned my lesson. Only do favors for friends that I owe favors to. That is only a few men and we all feel we owe each other because we have all helped each other so many times over the last 30 years. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, Alc, johndeereelfman and 1 other said thanks

#39 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 06:52 AM

:ditto: ..... and dont work on stuff for people that owe you money

• johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#40 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 08:58 PM

I'm going to weigh in one more time. First, when you told him to drop the parts off at your house, you pretty much agreed to take on the work. The fact that it had been with him for four years was a huge sign of the fun to come. Second, bring him over, talk to him. He knows it's not assembly ready. You don't have to tell him that. Third, I agree with the gentlemen that suggested working on it together.

As far as who I do favors for, it has nothing to do with a feeling of indebtedness. I help people that are nice or genuinely need help. It doesn't matter to me if they can or cannot help me with something later on. The idea of parity is a bit foreign to me.

#41 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,805 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 08:07 PM

Troy,  Caught up on some reading this morning and saw your thread. So here's my 2 cents worth. 

You were told it was ready for assembly, not a total restoration. You only agreed to that, and obviously it needs more than just reassembly. He is hoping that your integrity would not let you assemble this as it is and would correct the issues. You mentioned how he was friendly up till you sold him the tractor, lost contact, and now that he needs something else , he's around again. I don't believe all friendships have to be equal , but that sounds like a one sided relationship to me.

As for what to do now, I would contact him and explain what you see needs to be done and tell him you didn't sign up for that. I would also tell him that if he does want your skill level and quality to make it the tractor You'd be proud of, he will have to wait. possibly another year or two until you have time. Assuming you want to tackle the job at all . 

I wouldn't worry about your reputation being scarred by not doing the job , but more worried about putting your name on something that isn't to your standard. After meeting you, I know you are an honorable man, and would allow you to work on anyone of my tractors anytime. Assuming you'd touch a Blue tractor! :smilewink:

Your friend, Tom

#42 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 01:50 AM

As far as who I do favors for, it has nothing to do with a feeling of indebtedness. I help people that are nice or genuinely need help. It doesn't matter to me if they can or cannot help me with something later on. The idea of parity is a bit foreign to me.

I am the same way. I have no problem helping someone who is in need. Part of the problem with this world is everyone thinking they need to be paid for everything they do. My dad also taught me when I was young to always keep my word. If you say you are going to do something... you do it. A real man is honest and doesn't make excuses.  

• johndeereelfman and JBRamsey have said thanks

#43 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 01:29 PM

Well this afternoon, I decided to call "my friend" as I found another load of parts in my yard again, some of which were the missing parts that I had been looking for. Anyway, we talked about his expectations of me, and just what it was that he wanted of this tractor. I was nice, by explaining to him that I wouldn't be able to finish the unfinished parts to the quality of his painted parts, and since there were some scratches to his finished parts, I felt that it would be best if I just stripped the part and started over again. He agreed. He wants this tractor to look like it did when it was on the showroom floor, and I'm to do whatever is necessary to get it to that point. I explained to him that I can do that, however with my current work schedule, he won't be seeing the tractor back for at least a year or so. I also informed him of my minimum price for restoring a tractor. This price "does not" included new electricals, tires, belts, or hardware such as nuts, bolts, and washers. He said he'd have to talk it over with his wife to see if that is feasible, and will call me back to give me an answer as to a go ahead or not, however the next breath was I still have a couple of more parts to drop off? I'm assuming I'll have the go ahead to restore the tractor, or why else would he be dropping off the rest of the parts? Either way, I'm not starting anything until I have the work order signed, half of the deposit paid, and 100% of the parts in my garage. 

I'll keep you all posted as things progress, and as to what the final answer is from him. Thanks for the advice and opinions guys!! :thumbs:

• DH1, MH81, coldone and 1 other said thanks

#44 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 07:18 PM

Sounds like you found a good way to explain things without upsetting him.

#45 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 08:56 PM

It sounds like you had a good conversation and everybody is on the same page. If he decides not to do it, you may end up with a pile of parts for cheap!