DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 07:15 PM

I think I would probably get with him and tell him just what you told us.  What's missing, what's extra, what's not done, etc. and find out exactly what he wants for the finished product.  If he wants you to do it right, shoot him a price and tell him it will take a while because of your present schedule.  I just think he needs a clear picture of what's going on here so there are no bad surprises.

These are my thoughts as well. My Olde Deere always said "do you just want it done, or do you want it done right ?". Especially when it's for a friend who has been a perfectionist in the past. Sometimes helping a friend can bite you in the butt unless things are made perfectly clear at the outset.

I'm with David Brown and Oldedeeres  on this lay it on the table

I tend to think this way as well, tell him how it is, make some suggestion's, and find out what he wants.

• johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Guys for the help and opinions. I say he's a friend, but after thinking about it some more, I'm wondering just how good of a friend he really is or was. We were in constant contact up until the time I sold him the tractor, and after the sale, we kind of lost touch. Maybe a few phone calls after the sale, but just kind of dwindled from that point on. I'm starting to wonder if he just used me to strike up a deal on something he really wanted. And now, all of a sudden, he needs me again, only for assembling his tractor. I can't help but wonder how things will be after the tractor is done and complete. More than likely won't hear from him again until he is in need of something else. 

Caleb and I relocated all of the parts into the garage tonight so they won't get ruined, and after surveying them, I found that there are paint skippers everywhere. Most of the painted parts weren't stripped down to the bare metal, and the parts that were stripped, were never sanded between coats and appears to only have one coat of finish color.  Part of me really wants to just strip everything and start over. Not for him, but just for my own satisfaction. But then again, part of me just wants to call him and tell him I can't bring myself to lowering my standards in putting this tractor back together the way it looks. I really wish I would have been here when he arrived, then I could have surveyed the parts before he unloaded and then declined the job right then and there.  I have the feeling that no matter what I choose to do, the "friendship" will be over. I'm not worried about my finish not meeting his expectations, as I'm pretty sure I can do better than what I'm seeing now, but I know he won't be willing to pay what I'd need for my time and material. If I reject the job, he'll be mad and I'll be putting my reputation on line. Since realizing that there really isn't a friendship like I originally thought, losing a friend like him won't bother me. My reputation however, is something I don't take lightly, and I value dearly what others think of me. After all, look at my profile page sometime. I have almost as many profile views as I do Thanks, and nearly 700 friends on my friends page. Something I hold very high in value! 

I'll keep you posted on what I decide to do, and I Thank you all again for the advice and opinions. You guys are great!!!

• Gtractor, MH81, LilysDad and 4 others have said thanks

#18 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 07:32 PM

Easier to maybe buy it back from him, end of problem. May save some of the freindship, if you want. Noel.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#19 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 07:33 PM

One thing to consider is that HIS standard of work is different than YOUR standard of work.

Since his is less it won't be hard to please him giving him a tractor that is better than HIS standard of work but not up to YOUR standard of work.

Hope this makes sense.

• johndeereelfman and Marty'70 have said thanks

#20 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 08:13 PM

... If I reject the job, he'll be mad and I'll be putting my reputation on line. Since realizing that there really isn't a friendship like I originally thought, losing a friend like him won't bother me. My reputation however, is something I don't take lightly, and I value dearly what others think of me. ...

Your reputation won't suffer from refusing to do (or rubber stamp) poor quality work.  If you take it on as is, you are saying "this is good enough for me".  If you agree to repair his work, you are doing it as a business venture, not a friendship, and you don't have time for another headache.  Your rep will take a big hit from not getting it done in a timely fashion.  Cut your loses and move on before it becomes something you can't get out from under.

• wilberj, johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#21 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 08:44 PM

Has he restored a tractor before?  I ask because it sounds all the world like he realizes he got in over his head and knows he can't finish the job to his expectations.  It sounds as though he knows your quality of work and is probably expecting nothing more (would be hard to improve on it anyway from what I've seen).  Look, he needs help and he's offered to pay already.  I don't see a friendship going bad over that.  If you do this job to your standards and present a bill after the work is done and without his prior knowledge, THEN I see trouble ahead for your freindship.  You are the one that knows his character better than anyone who has answered.  I think you probably know how to approach him already.  Just put it all in writing.  Heck, noterize it if need be but that may get the bad blood flowing before you even start.  Lay it out, find out what he expects, be honest and then the decision is his.  You're in the driver's seat here as you are trying to help him out.

• Gtractor, johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#22 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 09:09 PM

I got stuck in a deal like this last year. A friend had a B112 of his dads that sat in a barn for 20 years. He just wanted it running and cleaned up , no paint. Rusty gas tank , crapped up carb, bad belts, stuck valve, flat tires, no spark... etc. The first thing I asked him was "what is your budget?" He said $1000. After fighting it for a month, he picked it up and payed me $1000. $500 for parts, $500 labor. I quit counting at 100 hours. Hard to find a mower shop to work on your crap for less than $5 an hour
  • Gtractor, MH81, johndeereelfman and 3 others have said thanks

#23 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 09:25 PM

This is why I don't work on anybody else's stuff, generally not even my father's, too much that can go south in a hurry.

• johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#24 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 09:29 PM

One thing to consider is that HIS standard of work is different than YOUR standard of work.
Since his is less it won't be hard to please him giving him a tractor that is better than HIS standard of work but not up to YOUR standard of work.
Hope this makes sense.

You kinda described him as picky and by the looks of the parts he doesn't have the kind of quality I have seen coming from your stables. Hhhaaaarrd decision my friend.
  • johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#25 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 09:32 PM

You gotta work on your fathers stuff even if you have to buy the parts. Ask him how much time he has invested in you. You owe him a few hours ( and I wont even finish this the way I want to.. but I bet you can guess what I am thinking)
  • johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#26 Genem OFFLINE  

Genem
  • Member No: 52933
  • 65 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 09:32 PM

It appears that you are in a no win. I would load it up and return it to him because it is not what he told you. Very small loss at this time. seems to me it can only get worse. Gene
  • Gtractor, johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#27 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 09:45 PM

Not too hard of a decision at all. He misrepresented the project and suckered you into a deal. There is no way of "salvaging" the deal without you getting screwed. You do the job to the best of your ability and it wont be good enough, there will always be somethings he doesnt think is good enough. You do the job just as agreed upon and it will not make either of you happy. You dont do the job and he will forever hold it against you. Which one can you live with?

I would talk to him face to face and it would start with something like "Hey Bub, thought you said you just wanted me to put it back together". Then let the conversation go from there.

For future reference, When someone tries talking me into a job I dont want to do or dont have time to do, or know that the person will never be satisfied I price the job so high that they are stupid for taking the offer and I would be stupid to turn it down if they said yes. I call it "stupid money". It is guaranteed to make alot of people leave you alone and if they take you up on it, you are guaranteed to make a heck of a profit.

#28 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 10:23 PM

Troy, here is how I would handle this.  I'm going to come from a different direction.  It sounds like this guy really respects your work, and really knows how to admire a shiny tractor.  He bought this 110 and went off at a run to get it just as pretty as yours... with much less work invested.

I bet he really didn't know what it takes to do a tractor right.

He gets frustrated and then one day he parked the whole project. 

I would call him up and ask him to come see you.  Before he comes, Caleb and you (if Caleb is still to be involved) should pull out one of your nicest restorations (I know there are a couple up there) and then set your tractor next to his pieces.  Set his pieces and parts in a shape of a tractor.  When he comes in, I'd let him figure out the connection. 

My guess is that he will pretty quickly admit it was harder than he thought and that he really wants his tractor to look like yours.  I have no doubts that he dreamed of your shiny new pennys when his old change came in. 

I think he knows his work is just not like yours.  I think he brought it to you out of respect for you and in the knowledge that your work will be right. 

If he is really serious about the tractor, he will pay to make it right.   Don't mince figures.  Don't give yourself a time limit.  If I'm right and he respects your work and opinion, he will be willing to pay and wait. 

Ben W. 

• Gtractor, MH81, johndeereelfman and 2 others have said thanks

#29 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 10:52 PM

You gotta work on your fathers stuff even if you have to buy the parts. Ask him how much time he has invested in you. You owe him a few hours ( and I wont even finish this the way I want to.. but I bet you can guess what I am thinking)

The main reason I don't is that he is not mechanical at all and we just end up in an argument, no win situation.

#30 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,780 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 01:46 AM

Beware of the guys that expect you to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He may expect you to make it right even with the parts having a poor paint job. I've run into plenty of people that expect perfection from others but can't do anything themselves.

My last proposal as a consulting engineer was for double the price with 50% down. I figured that there was something hinkey with this client and that payment at the end was risky. It turned out that I was right. Something went wrong during construction. The building sat 3/4 finished and unused for almost a year. Good Luck, Rick 

I forgot to tell: I didn't get the job, someone else got it for 60% less than I quoted. Then they had the problem.

Edited by boyscout862, August 07, 2015 - 04:50 PM.

• johndeereelfman and superaben have said thanks