#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 01:37 PM

So a friend of mine called last night, someone I haven't talked to for quite a while, asking if I'd put his 110 back together. This is a tractor that I sold to him about 4 years ago, and the first thing he did was take it completely apart so that he could restore it. I offered to restore it for him, but he insisted that he wanted to do it on his own. I told him that I'd help out in anyway I could, so to call me if he gets into a bind. Well, here it is 4 years later, and he calls me telling me he has all of the parts painted and ready for assembly, but since it's been so long, he can't remember which part goes where. Just for the record, I suggested to him to take plenty of pictures as he's disassembling, but I think his pride got the best of him. He is a man who has to have the best of everything, and money is no object when it comes to spending for things that he wants.

We talked for about a half hour last night, mostly on catch up, work, and other miscellaneous topics, but eventually we got back to the tractor subject again. He really wants this tractor back together, and even offered to pay me for my services of assembling it. I told him I really don't have the time right now, as I'm currently working almost 70 hours a week at my job, and that I just started Ryan's Wheel Horse restoration. The only time I'd have to assemble the tractor would be on Sundays, as during the week I get home around 6:30-7:00, and after eating supper I'm usually looking to go to bed around 8:00.  I told him Caleb would probably be interested in assembling the tractor for him, as he could work on it throughout the days. It would also give him some good experience. He agreed, and said he would drop off the parts and pieces this afternoon sometime. I told him I may or not be home when he arrives, and if I'm not, to lay everything out in the backyard and I will put them in the garage when I get back home.

I get home after he has been here, and this is what I find:

August 4, 2015 001.JPG August 4, 2015 002.JPG

August 4, 2015 003.JPG August 4, 2015 004.JPG

August 4, 2015 005.JPG August 4, 2015 006.JPG

August 4, 2015 007.JPG August 4, 2015 008.JPG

August 4, 2015 009.JPG August 4, 2015 010.JPG

As you can see from the pictures, most parts are indeed painted, but there are also parts that aren't. As particular and perfect as this friend is, I would of thought the paint finish would have been to higher quality then it is. He didn't even fill or build up the rust pits! He also has parts shown here that don't even belong to this tractor, as well as parts that aren't here to complete the tractor. This tractor was sold to him complete, as a 1966 110 with hydraulic lift. If you take notice, the console is indeed the correct console, however there is a manual lift handle included in the parts. The lift cylinder is there, but the pump is no where to be found. The carb and the motor were rebuilt, however the motor wasn't painted. He wants the skinny 6-12 rear wheels mounted to the tractor, however the rear tires that he has included are 23x8.50-12's. They look terrible mounted on the skinnier rims as it pulls the sidewalls in too far.

So here's my question to the group. Would you just put everything back together the way you got it, or would you spend the extra time needed to make the tractor look nice and just charge him for the time spent? I'll have to find out what type of paint brand he used in painting the parts, as I'll have to paint the unpainted pieces, hoping that I can match the shade and quality as he has. This project isn't going to be as easy as just putting everything back together as initially thought, and frankly, I don't have the time needed, nor does Caleb have the experience to finish this.

What would you guys do? Give him what he wants, or take the time to do it right? 

• boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer, superaben and 2 others have said thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 01:43 PM

If it were me I'd take the time to do/redo it the correct way and charge him accordingly.  HIS paint looks like pure-T crap in my opinion.

Edited by crittersf1, August 04, 2015 - 01:44 PM.

• Bolens 1000, johndeereelfman, HANKG and 3 others have said thanks

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 01:59 PM

I think I would probably get with him and tell him just what you told us.  What's missing, what's extra, what's not done, etc. and find out exactly what he wants for the finished product.  If he wants you to do it right, shoot him a price and tell him it will take a while because of your present schedule.  I just think he needs a clear picture of what's going on here so there are no bad surprises.

• Gtractor, johndeereelfman, HDWildBill and 5 others have said thanks

#4 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 01:59 PM

Better get him over to review the project so you can give him a firm quote...I'm sure you could assemble it quick enough but so much needs to be properly prepped and painted or repainted.

• johndeereelfman, boyscout862, KC9KAS and 3 others have said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 02:57 PM

What would you guys do? Give him what he wants, or take the time to do it right? 

I guess everything would depend on how much you value the friendship.

• johndeereelfman, WNYTractorTinkerer, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#6 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hard call since it's for a friend.  With no time on your hands and Caleb not experienced enough as you said plus the fact that all was NOT what you were told you could tell him you are no longer able to do it as it is not as it was presented to be.  I know that would be a hard deal between friends.  The other route would be like was said above by David Brown.  Make him aware of ALL that needs done and what is missing.  For me the whole thing sounds like a tough decision, but personally with a lack of time to do things I would gracefully bow out and have him take it back OR if you know someone else that could do a good job for him send him their way and have them give him a number as to what he would be getting into it for.

Good Luck.

• Gtractor, johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 03:45 PM

If I was to do this, All the parts would need to be there, and it would take aproximately 9 Months of my available evening and weekend time and about $2,900.00. (I subtracted my orfinal cost of $200.00) Just finished one, Not a Deer, but a good GT. and this is what it took. 

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#8 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 03:53 PM

I think I would probably get with him and tell him just what you told us.  What's missing, what's extra, what's not done, etc. and find out exactly what he wants for the finished product.  If he wants you to do it right, shoot him a price and tell him it will take a while because of your present schedule.  I just think he needs a clear picture of what's going on here so there are no bad surprises.

These are my thoughts as well. My Olde Deere always said "do you just want it done, or do you want it done right ?". Especially when it's for a friend who has been a perfectionist in the past. Sometimes helping a friend can bite you in the butt unless things are made perfectly clear at the outset.
  • Gtractor, johndeereelfman, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#9 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 04:03 PM

So a friend of mine ... He is a man who has to have the best of everything, and money is no object when it comes to spending for things that he wants.

To my mine, that is the heart of your problem.  No matter which option you taken, it won't be good enough for him, and you will loss his friendship.  I would take the quicker & cheaper option of telling him to come get his crap out of my yard.

• Gtractor, johndeereelfman, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,568 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 04:29 PM

I agree what was said so far. You could lose a friend over it. I no longer do any work for friends due to several bad deals. I found it is hard to get them to pay up in a nice way.
  • Gtractor, johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 05:00 PM

These are my thoughts as well. My Olde Deere always said "do you just want it done, or do you want it done right ?". Especially when it's for a friend who has been a perfectionist in the past. Sometimes helping a friend can bite you in the butt unless things are made perfectly clear at the outset.

I'm with David Brown and Oldedeeres  on this lay it on the table

• johndeereelfman, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 05:18 PM

It is absolutely mandatory that you reinvolve him
Make a list of all that is missing, go over the details without pointing at his work. Be sure to congratulate him on getting as much done as he has with his busy schedule, blah blah blah
Asking him if he wants it to look like he phoned it in or does he want you to do it right may not go as well as one would hope...

With a little work, you might salvage the friendship and the tractor.
  • Gtractor, johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#13 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,909 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 05:18 PM

He's your friend, call him up to come over for a beer and tell him what's what he will respect your position .

• Gtractor, johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 05:45 PM

I take a slightly different view of this: let your integrity govern your actions. An honest man will have him come over and go over all the good and bad things. Explain that it needs alot more work than was initially thought. Find out what he thinks. If he gets upset and doesn't appriciate your honesty then it is his problem and is out of your control. The best solution may be to teach him how to do a better paint job and show him how to read the diagrams so that he can put it back together. I find with alot of people you just have to get them started and build their self confidence a little. They will then take it  from there.

I have lost alot of aquaintenances over the years that didn't agree with me on something(land and building purchases) but later wanted me to fix what they had screwed up. I usually refused because the situations were going to be me wasting alot of my time and them not satisfied anyway. Friends that just want you to use you aren't really friends. Be honest with him and protect yourself. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, August 05, 2015 - 01:27 AM.

• Gtractor, johndeereelfman, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,628 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 06:54 PM

Lots of great opinions above.

This has disaster written all over it!

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole because its not as described, strike 1.   incomplete, strike 2.   and he's a perfectionist yet the work he has done is not nearly up to his standards,   strike 3. 

If you had the time and he had 3 grand to drop it'd be a whole different ballgame.

Invite him over for dinner/drinks and the bad news.

• grnspot110, boyscout862, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks