• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 07:01 AM

Purchased this for my better half and she's been thrilled with it although, the other day she said the steering was making a "popping/snapping" sound when turning the wheel.

Going to analyze it today and jumped on here for suggestions on what to look for. The sound just started and do not want a serious problem to develop due to ignorance.

It's a 917.254422 model, Onan powered.

Better half just informed me that what she was experiencing went away after I put the original steering wheel back on.  She had told me the steering wheel, a padded type, was too "fat" for her hands.

I removed the steering wheel from my utility version of basically the same tractor but the steering wheel was hard plastic and not near as "fat" as the one on hers.

Evidently the one from my tractor was causing the popping/snapping sound although I do not understand why.  They swapped over with no problem.

Any ideas?Site pic1.jpg

Edited by Phluphy, August 04, 2015 - 02:37 PM.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 07:48 AM

I'd say you need to replace some of those steering bushings. Sears Parts Direct shows a break down for this tractor. The nylon bushings are still availabe, part #69.

• boyscout862 and Phluphy have said thanks

#3 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 10:08 AM

I'd say you need to replace some of those steering bushings. Sears Parts Direct shows a break down for this tractor. The nylon bushings are still availabe, part #69.

Okay, I'll get into checking them.  Have the manual.

Thanks KennyP

• KennyP said thank you