#16 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 10:47 PM

The axle wobble sounds like either a loose wheel clamp (the four around the perimeter) or a bad bearing.  You'll want to get that fixed since a bad bearing will misalign the bull gear in that housing and (eventually) cause the bull and pinion to destroy themselves and chew the whole final drive up on that side.  You don't want that to happen. 

Bearings are all universal on it, there is nothing odd or special that you cannot get matched up. 

Make sure you add oil in that final drive.  They usually have been neglected through the years. 

Ben W. 

Thanks for the info, I'll look into the axle, I was going to check the oil in the rear end anyway, when you shift gears it sounds kinda "hollow". I don't think the PO took very good care of the old thing, for instances, he never put on the hood, grill and ect. It seems like if it wasn't a important part to make the tractor run, he didn't bother putting it back on after he took it off. He also fluid filled the rear tires with water, so I will need to ad anti freeze before this winter. He also ran the old tractor pretty hard in his garden and it just blows oil out the exhaust. I fired it up the other day on the trailer, after running for less then 2 minutes it had a 5" around puddle of oil on the trailer that was leaking out the manifold.

I haven't even unloaded this tractor off my trailer yet, I'm going to take it back into town and give it a good washing. There is a lot of old oil/grease all over the poor old thing. Once everything it fixed up on it, I'm going to get it a coat of paint.

If it is a bad bearing, any idea on how deep I half to go to get to it? I was just wondering if I'm needing to pull the whole rear end apart or not.

Thanks again for the info

Edited by BTS, August 05, 2015 - 10:47 PM.

#17 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 11:16 PM

OK, I got to looking at the serial number and I got to looking at the logo on the grill. This is a not just an A, but this is a Super A and I believe it is the Super A-1 meaning it has the bigger engine then the regular A or super A. The serial tag says Model 1A. Serial # 1AA   101391.

From the looking up I did, the serial number does not match the A-1 tractors? anyone have any ideas???

I unloaded the tractor off the trailer today, it fired right up and I puttered around on it for a couple seconds before I parked it. It's a fun little bugger to play around on.

Thanks for any info

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 11:35 PM

A-1 has a 2" gap between the gas tank and the hydraulics (as opposed to sitting right on top), because the radiator is taller so they used Super C sheet metal to "roll it out" since it used the Super C engine (and taller radiator) and they ran out of time to "tweak" all the sheet metal into Super A format.
  • Gtractor and BTS have said thanks

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 11:38 PM

PS: You have no hydraulic touch control system, but Ben might be able to help. Unfortunately Farmall A, B, BN, A-1, A-I, Super As, all have run together serial numbers and no discernible information singling out serial number ranges for accurate identification.
  • BTS said thank you

#20 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 04:32 PM

Looking at the pictures again what you have there is a Super A-I (eye) not a 1.  The diamond shape axle with the bell housing brace is the giveaway clue to its true model ID.  Does it have a foot throttle as well or just the hand throttle?  Can't tell that in the pictures.  

Edited by IHCubGuy, August 07, 2015 - 04:34 PM.

• Gtractor, wvbuzzmaster and BTS have said thanks

#21 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 04:45 PM

Looking at it closer still I think that it may be a straight A I and not a Super.  I don't see a hydraulic pump on the engine front cover under the magneto drive or a hydraulic unit for under the gas tank in your spare parts although your hood emblem is from a super.

• wvbuzzmaster, superaben and BTS have said thanks

#22 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 09:56 PM

Looking at the pictures again what you have there is a Super A-I (eye) not a 1.  The diamond shape axle with the bell housing brace is the giveaway clue to its true model ID.  Does it have a foot throttle as well or just the hand throttle?  Can't tell that in the pictures.  

Yes this has a hand and food throttle

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#23 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for everyone's info, I'll do some more research and ect tomorrow.
Thanks again

• wvbuzzmaster and IHCubGuy have said thanks

#24 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 02:48 AM

IHCubGuy is correct. It is an A I (Industrial) because of the diamond front axle I didn't notice.... Which is extra annoying because I have an A I parts tractor and a 140 Industial (So I have two diamond front axles).... Dangit... That's the identity... Industrial model...
  • BTS said thank you

#25 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 11:15 AM

I Went out and did some looking yesterday, there isn't even a place for a hydraulic pump under the magneto. This is a plane old A Industrial, which I guess is better then a plane old A non industrial. This old thing doesn't even have a electrical system, it is hand crank only, the guy I got it from said it is a 1944.

I will look into the back wheel first, then I'm going to stick rings in it. I ran this A yesterday to unload a couple implements on my trailer, (I couldn't use my Kubota because it was on the front of the trailer and the implements were behind it) after about 10 minutes of running at an idle I had oil running down the exhaust and oil running out around #2 cylinder spark plug. The gas tank and air cleaner were also speckled in oil. It's now going to be parked till I have the time and money to start fixing it up.

Thanks for everyone's help! :thumbs: :wave:

• wvbuzzmaster and IHCubGuy have said thanks