#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 10:19 PM

I just picked this up today, I bought it all in a "package deal" from a guy 4 miles away. It's a 1944 Farmall A, with a home built 3-pt, the 3-pt is really stout and well made. The tractor came with a old stationary engine (basically a farmall A engine), it is stuck, manifold is rusted off and gone!. But it's on a very well made heavy skid that I will probably cut up and use the metal on another project. The tractor came with the hood, grill, fenders (fenders don't fit with the 3-pt), original seat assembly, angle gear box for the PTO to run a belly mower (no mower included), original draw bar and some other mics pieces.

The attachments that came with it are a home built boom pole, home build single bottom plow (14" made out of a old draw bar 2 bottom plow), draw bar for 3-pt (been wanting one since I got a tractor with a 3-pt), old time 3-pt dirt slip and a John Deere 4 section disk that's probably 10' wide.

I haven't gotten the disk, dirt slip and plow yet. I'm going back with my little Kubota with loader to try and get them all loaded.

First thingI'm doing with the old A is buy a new set of rings for it, Wile it's pulled apart I will give it a coat of paint and then reassembly the old thing. It's then going up for sale, I guess I will see if it's worth anything? I paid $750 for the whole lot so I have a little room to work with.

Attached Thumbnails

• Farmall A Tractor 027.jpg
  • Farmall A Tractor 028.jpg
  • Farmall A Tractor 035.jpg
  • Farmall A Tractor 036.jpg
  • Farmall A Tractor 043.jpg
  • Farmall A Tractor 044.jpg
  • Farmall A Tractor 046.jpg
  • Farmall A Tractor 045.jpg
  • Farmall A Tractor 054.jpg
  • Farmall A Tractor 058.jpg
  • Farmall A Tractor 039.jpg
  • Farmall A Tractor 040.jpg
  • Farmall A Tractor 041.jpg

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster, IHCubGuy and 6 others have said thanks

#2 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 10:59 PM

Nice score.  That engine looks like it might be a U-2 power unit as opposed to a combine engine.  What is on the tag on the bell housing if I might ask?

• BTS said thank you

#3 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 11:02 PM

Nice score.  That engine looks like it might be a U-2 power unit as opposed to a combine engine.  What is on the tag on the bell housing if I might ask?

I'll take a look tomorrow

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 11:17 PM

Great haul.

I have a U-4 power unit that might need a gas tank if you can't save that power unit.
  • superaben and BTS have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 04:34 AM

Nice A. I saw one on the weekend that looked a lot like yours. No hood, fenders etc. It wasn't for sale though.

• BTS said thank you

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 05:20 AM

Not a bad deal , if those tires are as good as they look you sell all of them for almost what you paid for the package

• BTS said thank you

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 06:48 AM

NICE!

• BTS said thank you

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 12:22 PM

They must irrigate a. Lot in ypur part of Kansas? That is a pump on that statuary right??
Nice score on all

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 04, 2015 - 12:24 PM.

• BTS said thank you

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 09:57 PM

Never leave a Farmall A to rot!  I've owned a couple, and I own a standard A with the exhaust lift now, as well as a Super A.  Tough little rascals. 

The U4 unit is not something to be despised, either.  I know a couple guys who are starting to collect the older stationary power units like that.  I foresee those things become more valuable as they get older, just like the old hit and miss engines did. 

If you want parts for that A, let me know.  I have quite a bit of Farmall rebuild parts in stock and I sell Hastings rings as well. 

Ben W. 

• BTS said thank you

#10 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 10:22 PM

Here is the tag on the bell housing, the ser. # is UAA - 21510 Model U-2 A

Attached Thumbnails

• Farmall A & Disk 049.jpg

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#11 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 10:26 PM

Great haul.

I have a U-4 power unit that might need a gas tank if you can't save that power unit.

Is the tank the same on a U-4 as a U-2 ? I don't know my stationary engines. The inside of the tank looks rusty and there is something in the tank and I'm not sure what it is???

Attached Thumbnails

• Farmall A & Disk 052.jpg

#12 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 10:30 PM

Not a bad deal , if those tires are as good as they look you sell all of them for almost what you paid for the package

The tires are pretty good, they have light weather cracks but nothing bad at all.

Attached Thumbnails

• Farmall A & Disk 054.jpg

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 10:38 PM

The tires are pretty good, they have light weather cracks but nothing bad at all.

There's your value right on those rims.  I've turned down decent tractors because of bad tires before, but I always buy junk tractors on good tires.  :rolling: :rolling:

Ben W.

• Alc and BTS have said thanks

#14 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 11:18 PM

Never leave a Farmall A to rot!  I've owned a couple, and I own a standard A with the exhaust lift now, as well as a Super A.  Tough little rascals. 

The U4 unit is not something to be despised, either.  I know a couple guys who are starting to collect the older stationary power units like that.  I foresee those things become more valuable as they get older, just like the old hit and miss engines did. 

If you want parts for that A, let me know.  I have quite a bit of Farmall rebuild parts in stock and I sell Hastings rings as well. 

Ben W. 

Thanks, I do need to look in to the right wheel, it has a wobble from side to side? the wheel is tight, it looks like the axle is loose in the housing? Any idea on what this could be? and is a big deal to fix it?.   I'm guessing a bearing is out?, but I don't know for sure.
Thanks for any info

#15 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 09:43 PM

The axle wobble sounds like either a loose wheel clamp (the four around the perimeter) or a bad bearing.  You'll want to get that fixed since a bad bearing will misalign the bull gear in that housing and (eventually) cause the bull and pinion to destroy themselves and chew the whole final drive up on that side.  You don't want that to happen. 

Bearings are all universal on it, there is nothing odd or special that you cannot get matched up. 

Make sure you add oil in that final drive.  They usually have been neglected through the years. 

Ben W. 

• BTS said thank you