• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 05:15 PM

The metric system is so much easier. It is truly a shame that we can't make the switch.
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 06:31 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa... I am proud to be a non-metric speaking minority.
And I don't want to throw away my English wrenches just yet...

Just kidding, I do agree that the metric system is easier, but I have grown fond of the English Measuring system. It keeps my brain young when I'm trying to find the centerline of the wallboard, offset 7/16", with a 3/4" off the end for center of the stud. I am pretty sure the English system of measurement was devised by drywall companies so that people would have to buy 10% more to account for scrap pieces caused by poor math skills.

Glad you found the adapter you needed.

#18 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 07:03 PM

How about some photos? I would like to put one of these in my son's MF-8 for him. I would really love to see one of the HF motors with the blue trim painted gray to match the MF colors.

Edit: Y'all gave me an idea here! I need a bushing that will give me a 15/16" OD for a drill press that I need to swap out a three-phase motor from. I bet I could buy a 1" OD bushing, and turn it down on my lathe!

#19 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 07:55 PM

Here are some original photos I will take the in process ones tomorrow.
massey side.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• massey back.jpg
  • massey front.jpg
  • massey engine.jpg

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 08:04 PM

Wow, the animals really had the leaves packed in behind the tin didn't they? Does it still have the headlight switch on it? Looks like it had headlights at one time because the light bracket can still be seen behind the headlight knock outs.

#21 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, once we got the engine out we literally took out enough of those to fill a couple big paper bags. And yes I think it does have the switch for the lights.

#22 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 08:39 PM

Great, take some good photos of how the new one looks... Should be a nice little project when done.

#23 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 01:39 AM

I love the metric system by the way. I wish we would switch.

No you don't. I recently remodelled a house built using metric dimensions. Major pain in the asterix. Studs and joists on 400 mm. centers, ceiling height of 2.4 metres. Now lay out your 4'x8' plywood and drywall. If you switch to metric you'll have the other problem, 16" centers, 8' ceiling height and 1200 mm x 2400 mm plywood and drywall.

I can do the conversions with no problem, but I think in imperial. That adds an extra step where an error will occur.

It was bad enough with U.S. gallons and Imperial gallons, now we have litres as well. Calculating fuel consumption gets to be an adventure in math when you throw kilometers and miles into the mix. For the fly guys, it's even worse. Aircraft fuel consumption used to be calculated in pounds per hour.

Did you ever hear about The Gimli Glider? New aircraft, new fuel measuring guages, new computers and software, new measurement system, and the same old distance. Someone misplaced a decimal and the aircraft ran out of fuel over 100 miles from its destination with a full load of passengers. They had to land on an old air force base where the runways were in use as a drag strip as they came in for a landing. No injuries and the pilot got a reprimand, all because the government decided to change the system of weights and measures.

#24 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 04:45 AM

I didn't say switching wouldn't have its drawbacks or that using two systems at once wasn't difficult. I just said that I love the metric system. If the U.S. would switch, all of the problems you stated would cease to exist.

Edited by middleageddeere, April 07, 2011 - 05:02 PM.

#25 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 07:25 AM

I love the metric system by the way. I wish we would switch.

I wish we would switch too.
We got half way there and quit. Like Tudor said, it's a pita.
Nowadays we go to the lumber stores, and buy a 12mm thick 4' x 8' sheet of plywood.
Our beer bottles hold 341ml. Same oddbald #'s apply to all goods in a grocery store.
And on top of that, bilingualism got forced down our throats, so everything is done
in 2 languages. Tell me that doesn't cost a fortune.

We are half way metric, so we can do business with EU, and USA.
Sorry, don't mean to get thread off topic. I drives me nuts at times.

#26 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 07:25 AM

I didn't say switch would have its drawbacks or that using two systems at once wasn't difficult. I just said that I love the metric system. If the U.S. would switch, all of the problems you stated would cease to exist.

So, what you are saying is that all houses currently existing in the U.S. would automatically have their framing changed to the new measurements? Somehow, I don't think so. Renovations will become awkward and costly. There is a reason why metric Canada is still using 4' x 8' panels. Only the thickness changed. Half inch plywood became 7/16" (11 mm) and the price went up substantially at the same time. That one I remember very well.

The biggest problem with such a change will take about 75 years to reduce to a minimal issue, and over 100 years to eliminate altogether. That is the thought process of people well versed in the imperial system. They will think imperial until they die and will teach it, by example, to their children and grandchildren. They may be able to convert to metric, but they won't be able to think metric except on the most basic level.

A fact that you are unaware of. There are several world engineering standards that still use the imperial measurement system, even though most countries use the metric system. There is no effort being made to change those standards to metric.

Edited by TUDOR, April 07, 2011 - 07:31 AM.

#27 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 05:09 PM

I wrote the first part of my last response incorrectly, I fixed it now. I was agreeing that switching would prose several problems, I also would say that we encounter a crap load of problems already, being the only country that uses "standard". Switching would be hard but the end result would be a lot better. And as far as doing metric remodel on a "standard" house would not be hard. I have professionally remodeled and I see little problems with switching there. Simply put, there would be problems but my HO is that they would be out-weighed by the eventual benefits.

#28 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 07:18 PM

Back to the real topic...Here are some pics of the MF7 in process...I think it looks funny with nothing but a snowblade on. Can anyone tell me where I can buy the bolt to hold the pulley on? I checked a bunch of places with no luck. My engine info says it is a 5/16 with 24 central threads. Thanks again for all the help guys.
Mf-7 process.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Mf-7 process2.jpg

#29 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 09:19 PM

Your pulley should be held on with set screws if you use the old pulley. The old motor would of had just a solid keyed shaft. If you have a set of transfer punches, you can put the keyed pulley in place, remove the set screw, punch a dimple in the shaft, and then drill a counter recess for the set screw to lock it in very tight. However, just using the set screws will be perfect.

#30 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 04:56 AM

Yeah, I wanted too. The new shaft is a touch shorter and I am pretty sure the set screw is gonna be right on the edge of that keyway. I am afraid it is going to just slip right off the end.