• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • Member No: 40153
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 03:28 PM

Have a ford 125 closed side when it warms up losses fuel to carb. ( no fuel in see thru fuel filter) undo fuel line will run right up till heats up could it be vapor locked and if so how to fix. Everything still factory but fuel line and filter but ran the same as factory 

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 03:54 PM

Does this engine have a fuel pump?

Are you using the correct filter (Theres ones for gravity flow and ones for fuel pumps only)

If the above checks out sounds like it may be vapor locking

• case1man said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 04:08 PM

Check the fuel tank cap vent sometimes they get plugged and cause a vacuum in the tank. The engine can run for awhile but then can't get enough gas out of the tank. Good Luck, Rick
  • case1man and propane1 have said thanks

#4 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 05:08 PM

No fuel pump can take line loose at carb and gas starts flowing again. Has new gas cap but will check to see if venting

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 06:02 PM

sounds like a float problem. Check the needle and seat. Also check to make sure all carb venting is clear. If the carb can't vent, the fuel can't flow past the increase in pressure in the bowl, especially if the engine is hot. Heat causes expansion.

Make sure there are no sags in the fuel line, especially close to the carb.

heat from the engine can cause fuel to vaporize in the fuel line, which can lead to the pressure from fuel vapor pushing back on the fuel coming into the carb.

Edited by Chopperhed, August 02, 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#6 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 06:07 PM

changed gas cap and fuel filter after about 10 min of mowing no gas in filter again pull off gas line and put right back on filter fills back up and runs again for another 7 to 10 minutes

• Chopperhed said thank you

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 06:16 PM

You may have something in the tank plugging off the outlet!

• Chopperhed and case1man have said thanks

#8 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 08:56 PM

What's the condition of your gas lines?

#9 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• Member No: 4764
  • 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 09:55 AM

Closed side tractors are suppose to have a fuel pump on them 14 and 16 horse for sure. The reason for the fuel pump is due to the fact that the fuel tank isn't as high above the carb as on an open side tractor. So it needs the pumping action to ensure the carb is full of fuel at all times.

#10 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 359 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 09:18 PM

My LGT 100 does not have a fuel pump & it is a closed side. Have you tried running the tractor with out the fuel cap. If you have half a tank of fuel it should be ok with very little splash out. These tanks need venting & the gas cap provides this. With my LGT 100 I had replaced the fuel line & had a dip in the before going into the carb. This seemed to cause a problem so shorten the fuel line to make it more of a straight run that helped. With the tank empty remove the valve from the bottom of the tank it should screw out. Some of those valves have a screen on them & this could be getting plugged. Put a little RTV on the threads of the valve before screwing it back in. This just adds a little bit security to the valve so there is no leaks. If this does not solve the problem the next step would be check the float, needle, & seat in the carburetor to make sure nothing is sticking there. 

Charlie

• Chopperhed and case1man have said thanks

#11 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 06:31 PM

Yes the fuel pump is only on the the 14 &16 hp models, but I installed one on my 12, starts easier.  I agree with the other guys, check cap,fuel lines.

#12 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 07:14 PM

Thanks everyone for their input may have found problem took carb bowl off to look at float and found junk in bowl. Did a quick clean up ,put back together and ran great. Will take carb apart and do a better clean up and hopefully this fixed it.

• Rock farmer and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#13 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 12:38 PM

Rebuilt carb new fuel lines and filter changed gas cap still after  min of mowing runs out of gas . No gas in see thru filter undo gas line let out air runs again for 10 minutes or so thinking vapor lock don't know how to fix

#14 jeb2 OFFLINE  

jeb2
  • Member No: 69448
  • 9 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 12:27 AM

I am having the same problem with a closed side LGT 125. It will run great for about 20 minutes then it will sputter and stall. I can close the choke and it will run smoother but will have no torque to do any work. The fuel filter will be empty, I can break the fuel line and gas will run out of the filter, reassemble fuel hose and tractor will run for a few minutes then repeat this same process. I removed the fuel tank and cleaned it, installed new fuel lines, cleaned carb and reset float level, removed the fuel filter out of the fuel lines, tractor still stalls. Fuel tank cap is well vented. I've readjusted the points, adjusted the lash on intake and exhaust valves. This is a freshly rebuilt K301. It will run strong for about 20 minutes. Yesterday I was cutting 8" of thick grass thinking I had fixed the problem only to have it return. The fuel line runs under the carb bowI.I have read where some have suggested feeding the carb from the top but these Kohlers are very busy on top of the carb with the governor linkages. Have any of you ever had a problem with the float valve sticking in its seat? Mine is not mechanically attached to the float and it relies on gravity and the pressure from the fuel level in the tank(less than 1 psi). Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

#15 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 11:20 AM

You must make sure that the air filter housing has the correct gasket between it and carb, and the vent on the carb is free and not blocked off, this will cause vapor lock, and the heat generated in the carb from engine will stop the flow of gas.
  • case1man and jeb2 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford garden tractor