wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 01:47 PM

I have a parts 109 sitting here with hydrostatic transaxle, and a 102 I plan to stick a loader on. Obviously swapping the motor would be easiest, but have no forward metal for the 109. If I stick the hydro in the 102 and work on a foot control.... Would that work?? Or am I wasting effort here. I know loaders and hydros are friends lol.
  • MH81 said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 02:17 PM

Investigation going well. I think it will work of I take the brake pedal with it. Then activation with foot pedal is achievable by lift lever replacement. I don't need the lift lever anymore and it passes thru there to where forward is forward... Or I need to just drill holes to mount a cross shaft for the treadle farther up.

I have the hydro driveshaft but not sure how it hooks to engine.... Now the hydro would act as a creeper wouldn't it? To where I could stuff real big tires on the hydro and not go 90 miles per hour.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 09:35 PM

Ok, so if I am going to do this I need a hub to connect the engine to the driveshaft... That is the key to success...

#4 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 03:33 PM

Ok, so if I am going to do this I need a hub to connect the engine to the driveshaft... That is the key to success...

Here is my suggestion Casey.  Take the drive shaft from the 109 and use it in the 102 but with a little modification.  On the front end of the drive shaft put the holes in it the same as the 102 has and take the clutch assembly from the 102 and put it on the 109 drive shaft.  You now have a connection for the drive shaft to the engine as well as a cold start disconnect to roll the engine over easier.  I just did this little update to my 107 this spring when I redid it.  Sure makes starting even in warm weather SO much easier.  Part of my reason for the upgrade was the ease of winter starting as it sits in a cold shed with the snow blower on it.  The main reason however was that those couplers that IH used on the engine are a JOKE!  I put a brand new drive shaft and coupler on my 107 3 years ago and they were SHOT this spring!

Since you're adapting the hydro tranny into the 102 and said about using a foot hydro it should be fairly easy to do.  I was adapting the other way and had to add the clutch hardware and add an arm to work the throwout bearing.  You already have the clutch and the hydro tranny will bolt right up to the same holes as the gear tranny did.  So your hydro control is the only thing to really figure out on it.  You could take the controls from a 123 and put them on your 102.  Most of it can be done with all IH parts with very little modification.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 05:22 PM

Post up some pictures when you get a chance. Thanks
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#6 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 05:45 PM

Post up some pictures when you get a chance. Thanks

Give me some time to get some pics of it.  May be able to get some tomorrow actually.  I keep it at my mother in laws to mow her yard and I may be doing her yard tomorrow.  I didn't take any of it when I did the project.

Now that I've thought about it some more I took the drive shaft from a gear drive (a 70 I believe) and actually cut it down in the back to the length I needed and then welded the hystat pump drive end to it from the 107 drive shaft.  Was just a matter of cutting it off the 107 drive shaft and welding it on the gear drive shaft.

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Any pictures of this? Is the driveshaft difficult to take out and reinstall on a clutch Cadet. Thinking of drilling my hydro driveshaft for the clutch parts, as you suggested.

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 09:36 PM

Also...when clutching what keeps the driveshaft from shifing?
I'm actually thinking of pinning flex coupler half to the shortened 102 driveshaft...

#9 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 08:28 PM

I'm sorry Casey.  My camera was dead when I went to mow the yard and I completely forgot after that.  As for the driveshaft shifing, I didn't do anything special at the back to keep it from moving rearward although I did put a new flex coupler on it when I redid it.  Driveshaft isn't to bad to get in and out of a gear drive.  I usually unbolt the engine and slide it forward and then fish the driveshaft out from there.

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 08:58 PM

I took the hydro out of the 109 today. It had one broken fin that stupid little fan when I started... Now it has three lol. I left the driveshaft and linkages on it to remove... I regretted that later...
The brake pedal is also out now.
I even found a home for the springy thing that activates the brake interlock switch... On the 108... Since its saftey switch was bypassed due to a broken springy thing. So getting safer every day.
I need to replace the coupler... Am considering that since I do not like the flex coupler... I might replace with a universal joint... Any concerns?

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 09:06 PM

Get one with common parts.

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 09:10 PM

I need parts ugh... Guess I need flex coupler stuff...ugh... I'm not liking taking things completely apart to do things....

#13 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted August 10, 2015 - 03:01 PM

I don't see any concerns other than like Alan said.  Get a U-joint that you can go somewhere and get a cross kit for it easily if need be.  I gave thoughts to putting one on mine but just decided in the end that a new flex coupler was easier and cheaper in the end.