4 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 01:23 PM

More and more yellow and white in the garage.....

I kind of fell into a quietline 1250 hydro that followed me home. I thought it would be nice to keep my 62 Original project company until I get it done...

20150720_181246.jpg 20150720_181201.jpg 20150720_181234.jpg

This one actually ran when I got it! Also came with a 44 deck in good shape. Engine has some blowby, but still runs strong. I'll pull the head and measure the engine wear when I replace the worn iso-mounts. Metalwork is structurally good, but needs a repaint. Sooooo, it may be coming all apart anyway for a repaint. Tires are good! This was in much better shape than what I usually bring home - I might just run it and enjoy it a while "as is"!!! 

But of course, you can't do that - can't leave well enough alone......

It has a manual lift, and I like hydraulic stuff, so I started looking for a ported pump and lift system to add to it. Which led to this:

20150724_154204.jpg 20150724_154156.jpg

A slightly newer 1650 "in-a-box" - this is more what I usually bring home! Lots of pieces, not everything there, tons of potential!!!

I found a guy with a parts 1650 he was selling, so we struck a deal. Turned out to be a good score!

It has the rear lift parts, a 44 inch deck in need of repair, AND a #2 tiller with the gearbox and all the parts. And a big pile of most of the rest of the parts to make a whole tractor again, including a 341 engine that turns free. 

20150724_154216.jpg 20150724_154807.jpg

Soo, gonna tear everything apart and see what kind of shape they are in. Hopefully, I should end up with a running 1250 AND a running 1650 with lift system. 1250 to mow and the 1650 to rototill?!??! Or worst case, combine the best of both into one nice setup.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures. I'll post more as they take shape...

• wvbuzzmaster, Traill95, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 04:04 PM

On the 1250, try an oil change and tuneup. Maybe overhaul the carb. When it is running at its best, add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas and run it. I've had good luck with MMO reducing oil burning in engines. It cleans the rings and valves. It may postpone the rebuild for a bunch of years. Good Luck, Rick

• wvbuzzmaster and Tennblue59 have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 05:44 PM

I see a problem on your 1650 that is an easy fix, and a possible reason to it being pulled apart. Notice on the pump there are two 1" sized head check valves. In the center is a plunger. Down is "freewheel" and up is go. Clean up around and on top of them with wire brush before removing them, remove them, and take a finish nail filed flat to use as a punch to stick in the bottom side to hit against the check ball. (spend a minute on the flattening of the nail tip to smooth it). Take your time on this because to replace one of them looks to be $100. I just did this to the hydro on my parts 109 today to be able to test it with a drill. I had success, but I also had nothing to lose with it being a parts tractor. (thinking of a hydro swap in my 102).

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, August 02, 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#4 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 07:42 PM

Thanks Casey! I DO know the drill! I had to go through that with my old Deere 316 kohler. Soaking it in PB Blaster, move the ball - (I used a small brass punch instead of a nail) - repeat, repeat, repeat..... It took a little while, but it did come back and worked fine for the couple years I had the tractor before I sold it.

And, no, they are NOT cheap to buy, so I was really happy that I could get it to work again.

I never really got the story as to why this one was in pieces. The guy was going to fix it up really nice, but then had some health issues and gave up on it. But not sure WHY he took it all apart aside from that.

Usually, that's one of the neat things I like about buying old stuff - there almost always is a "story" with equipment! My Florida mower, a deere 110, I bought from a guy where it belonged to his dad. The father had owned it since new, and had made gardens, mowed grass, hauled trailers until he was too old to use it. The son had no interest in the machine, but it was a part of his life growing up. He kept it for several years after the father passed then sold it because he had no use for it. I brought it back to life and it now has become a part of MY grandkids memories. A second life for a grand old GT!

Anyway, this PO only had the 1650 for a few years, so not much history with him, and no idea what was before that. Hopefully, I get it back together and it has more "life" to live!!!

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 08:15 PM

I didn't have anything to lose with these check valves, nor did I have a punch small enough to get thru the hole on the bottom, so grabbed a finishing nail and flattened the end. It all went well for me and I refuse to push the buttons back in, because I have yet to get them to resurface on their own lol. It may be that once they see pressure again they would come right back up, but I dunno. I'm thinking of sticking the 109 hydro into the 102 which seems to have a 12 hp kohler sporting the 10 hp cub cadet tins... So it's already a 122, so why not make it a 123 lol.