Repower thoughts

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 09:22 PM

Let me say up front that I am a fan of the onan engine. I love the build quality of them and the rebuildable design. Same thing with the magnum twin 18 and 20 hp models.

BUT they stopped making them! And while MOST parts are still available, you pay a high price for them.

If you are looking to keep a tractor ORIGINAL, and if it came with the onan, then you rebuild the onan. But if you just want a working tractor, financially, there are other options.

I agree with Onanparts - the onan engine is DESIGNED better than the command from a longevity standard. But, most of those onans are 30+ years old, compared to a NEW engine. I can buy a new command twin for $1,800 (more or less) with a warranty. Rebuilding (a true rebuild to bring it back to like new specs) my worn-out onan twin will cost at least 1/2 - 2/3 of that from what I have seen posted (plus the original cost of the engine).

Also, I think, for most of us, that "shorter life" of the new command engine is a non-factor. The command twins are supposed to have a service life of 2000 plus hours. For most of us in non-commercial use, that adds up to a lot of years!

In the command engine does trash the block, I can buy a new short block for about that the onan rebuild cost would be - basically giving me a new engine!

I'm not trashing the onan, or saying the command is better. I am saying that you have choices and should do what YOU want to do, but I DO se benefits to the command repower versus the proven onan twin.

But that's just MY opinion.....
  • Alc and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#17 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 226 Thanks
  • 195 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 10:00 PM

I just got a Command Pro CH640-3145 from Tulsa Engine Warehouse to repower my 420. Their kit isn't bad, had the engine installed and running within a day. The only thing I don't like about it is the outlet on the muffler they supplied, they have it exiting out of the lower left on the front grill.

• Alc said thank you

#18 kencombs OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8398
  • 12 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 10:57 PM

I've been doing some research and have found a few places selling rebuilt Onan short blocks. One place in Minnesota, if I read it right, has some NOS short blocks. It's a lot of money but would be less than the repower I've already talked myself into. Would keep the beloved Onan engine. Plus the install/swap would be a lot easier. Anyone have any experiences with them?

I'm sure the MN source you mention is boomersonanparts.com new and used Onan parts.. I've dealt with him, as have a lot of other folks.  I'm not aware of a single disatisfied customer.  He would be my recommended source.  He can fix you up with a lot of Onan options, NOS short block, parts for yours or a complete engine.  And his prices have always been fair in my experience.

Plus, he can provide any advice or guidance you may need.

Go to several garden tractor sites and search his name.

#19 javjacob OFFLINE  

• Member No: 73130
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 12:49 AM

They say a picture is worth a thousand words....

Kohler parts shown are from a CH22. Note the Kohler does not have replaceable cam/main bearings. The aluminum block is the bearing. Worn or damaged? Scrap the block and buy another one. Oil pump pickup, plastic. Drive gear? Plastic. Pump body? Aluminum.

Onan oil pumps? All cast iron/steel. Main and cam bearings? Replaceable. Oil filter adapter? Replaceable. The CH series is a very good engine but disposable when it's time comes. Onan's were designed to be rebuildable over and over again.

They don't make em like they used to. I don't like the cheap throwaway junk made today.