#16 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 05:34 PM

The piping is the way it was when we moved in, I upgraded to 3" pvc about 4 years ago when we added a bathroom upstairs but put everything back the way it was.  you guys are saying there should be a vent for the tank itself ? as in between the mainline trap and the tank I need to put a line going out and up over the roof to vent the inground septic tank ?  Could that be the problem ?  the tank cant vent so it is pushing gas back up thru the traps and into the house ?  kind of makes sense now that I think of it.

Pete

#17 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 08:08 PM

My vent comes off the tree where all the drain lines come in. I've never seen a trap in the main line before. Only on the individual drains.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 06:38 AM

The one at the farm is just outside the wall and goes up over the roof line behind the house. The system is old, as in been there since the 50's and I think the only other vent is on the remodeled kitchen at the other end of the house.

On the house here, we used to be on site and had to switch to city. The on site had a vent on the main line and one about half way.

The new system is kitchen, bathroom, and a mushroom 2' off the wall where I have to mow around it. Then, the line goes out to the street.

New houses around here have several. One house I was at looked like 4 or 5 potato guns sticking out of the roof. Something about having to be above the peak in height. I would have considered string a line between a couple of them to hang wash on, they were that tall.

If yours always worked that way, it should be still fine... May be that there was a lot of air in the tank and it had to burp somewhere.
I just asked because the only systems I've ever been around all had them.

#19 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 09:08 AM

I have to move the washer drain anyhow so I think I will put a vent in between the mainline trap and tank just to be sure. Go over the roof line and forget about it.
Pete