18 replies to this topic

#1 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,079 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 08:06 PM

Recently I had the septic tank drained and cleaned, we had a very reputable company come out.  they drained it and put liquid back in so the bacteria would still be there and said we were good to go.  after about a week we got a very strong septic smell in the kitchen, I didn't think much of it there are houses around and with the farms it is not uncommon to smell that.  today the same thing, very strong septic smell in the kitchen.  never had this problem before and not sure what to make of it, our entire system has traps in it other than the washing machine and that goes into the main line which has a trap before the septic tank.  the system is also vented in two places.

Anyone ever had this problem ? I am wondering if maybe the tank is building up pressure and "burping" into the house piping while it is filling back up ? thoughts ?

Pete

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,316 Thanks
  • 4,047 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 08:29 PM

Have you checked to see if the kitchen sink trap has water in it? Other than that the vent pipes would take care of any other issue (pressure) if there was any.

I have seen where someone put to much of a pitch on a mainline and it would siphon the traps, but that isn't a common issue.

Just check the traps and be sure there are no leaks that would cause them to empty.

And it is a possibility that the vent near the kitchen could be plugged? One way to check a vent pipe is to put a water hose down the pipe and turn it on, then see if the water makes it to the tank.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#3 jabelman ONLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,958 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 08:35 PM

Also make sure nobody sent something down the drain and got stuck in the trap. Even a tiny piece of chicken can smell like rotten death.
Do you have an inspection port before the tank. If so open the cap shine a light down it and run the sink

Edited by jabelman, August 01, 2015 - 08:38 PM.

• boyscout862 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,021 Thanks
  • 30,441 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 08:35 PM

I tend to think clogged kitchen vent too.  Have you heard any gurgling sounds when a full sink of water is drained?

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#5 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,068 Thanks
  • 584 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 08:53 PM

Hey Pete , I agree with the others totally , the only thing I will add is I believe it is unrelated to the septic pumping just coincidental .is the washer in or near the kitchen? Trap to vent distance on that is 6' . If there is no water in a trap you can hear the water running from other fixtures clearly . A water seal in the trap holds back the sound . That's a easy way to tell if you can't see in it. Keep a open mind when looking for the problem don't rule out anything. Odor can be hard to find sometimes. Good luck. Tom
  • boyscout862 and petrj6 have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,899 Thanks
  • 29,726 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Don't forget to check your dishwasher
They can build a powerful aroma if not used for a few days.

The way a line for a dishwasher is run should create a trap, but sometimes I gets siphoned out. Try pouring a gallon of water in and see
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#7 Genem OFFLINE  

Genem
  • Member No: 52933
  • 74 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 09:07 PM

If the smell is only in the kitchen, I would go up on the roof to make sure the roof vent above it is open. The odor should be stronger up there.run water in the sink, you should hear it. If it is open, then I would look for a leak under the sink. Good luck gene

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,024 Thanks
  • 5,510 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 09:08 PM

If you have a dish washer check that.

#9 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,122 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 09:42 PM

I am willing to bet one of the traps got emptied out when they pumped the system.My grandparents had the same issue.There washing machine trap got syphoned out when they had tank pumped.The house reeked of sewage.plumber came out and found the issue fairly quick.

#10 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 780 Thanks
  • 451 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 09:46 PM

O.K pluming  101... if you smell sewer gases in  your home and you are on your own septic system .... there can only be a couple things causing it; the floor drains . . . the traps dry out   . and under the sinks the traps dry out. If you have a bath room or half bath in the basement the toilet can dry up.

Patrick. 

#11 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,261 Thanks
  • 735 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 10:04 PM

I lived alone in my first house. The bathroom in the second bedroom would smell horrible because I never used it and the traps would dry out. I had to run water in the sink and tub on a regular basis to keep them dry. Then I poured cooking oil in them to keep the water from evaporating.

I agree a trap is probably dry but it should have refilled at the first use. I would check the vents for a blockage--dead bird, nest, something. Septic systems aren't complicated--there's no moving parts.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 29,899 Thanks
  • 29,726 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 11:05 PM

I would check the vents for a blockage--dead bird, nest, something.

Bees nest is going thru my mind Be prepared

#13 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,079 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 05:36 AM

we use everything on a daily basis so unless there is a leak all the traps should be full, the kitchen sink where the smell is actually goes into a dry well outside and not into the septic.  I cant seem to find anything wrong and the smell went away within the hour, I think it may have just been a coincidence.  if it happens again I may have to do some more research.  the worst part is that in the mainline in the basement rite before It goes thru the wall there is a trap there so it should never ever get any sewer gas up into the house even if all the traps in the house went dry the one in the mainline should still keep the smells out.

I am going to clear out under the sink today and have a look just to be on the safe side. thanks for the input guys.

Pete

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 29,899 Thanks
  • 29,726 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 06:02 AM

Just verify the main vent for the tank is open.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,366 Thanks
  • 5,789 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 08:51 AM

>>the worst part is that in the mainline in the basement rite before It goes thru the wall there is a trap there so it should never ever get any sewer gas up into the house even if all the traps in the house went dry the one in the mainline should still keep the smells out.<<

No sure it is right to have a trap on the main waste line.   Would need another vent on that line between the trap and the tank so that part of the system can breath.  That is part of what the vents in your house are to do.  Also that trap is a good place for any kind of solids to get trapped and cause drainage problems.

Edited by chieffan, August 02, 2015 - 08:51 AM.