• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 02:42 PM

I recently bought a 1054 in nice original condition. I have had a few mechanical issues with it, mostley because it had been sitting unused. I got the carb sorted out today, then discovered that the plastic fuel tank was leaking on the seam. I was beginning to think that she was just hard on gas, but now I see the issue. Is there a way to repair the tank? If not, are there new tanks available? I assume a used tank could potentially have the same problem.

Thanks, Jim

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 04:35 PM

I have had good results with JB weld on the plastic tanks, for metal I use "Red Kote" tank sealer for the inside

• superaben, Paulgo, Marty'70 and 1 other said thanks

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 06:34 PM

Thanks, repairing it is much more in my budget, Would a good cleaning with brake cleaner, followed by a scuffing up with emory cloth work as surface prep? I have used 2 part epoxy's before. but not JB weld in particular.

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 08:56 AM

The 2 part epoxy will work good also.  Secret it to get the surface as clean a possible.  I use denatured alcohol for the final cleaning. No oil in it.  Roughing it up with emery cloth or much courser with a wood rasp won't hurt a thing.  Just be sure the epoxy is cured good before you expose it to gas again.  Good luck.

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#5 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Chieffan. The wood rasp was not only more effective than the emory cloth but much quicker as well. It turned out the tank was leaking at both ends, so I decided to do the seams all the way around. There were a couple of spots I couldn't get the rasp into, so I used the emory cloth there. I started by degreasing the whole tank with brake cleaner, then roughed up the seam, followed by another shot of brake cleaner, then a final  wipedown with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol (which I assume is the same as denatured). I also cleaned my mixing surface and mixing/spreading tool the same way. The entire process took around 1/2 hr, including taking pics of each step if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks again to both of you, Jim

• Paulgo said thank you