• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 02:39 PM

I have a John Deere 112 tractor which was purchased new by my FIL  about 1975. It has developed a problem with the variator drive.  When mowing the lawn in second or third gear it slows itself down when it starts to climb a little hill. Doesn't have to be much of a hill.  I have a service manual for the tractor which says the fix is to adjust   a bolt on the variator  which is located behind a plug on the steering column tower on the right side. Did that , no change. Other fix according to the manual is replace the weak of variator spring. The new spring did appear to be very slightly stronger, but when installed  there  was no improvement . Both drive belts and the spring are new John Deere parts. If anyone has any suggestions on what will fix the problem, I would appreciate hearing them

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,443 Thanks
  • 7,336 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 02:45 PM

The varidrive on one of my Simplicitys has been a pain because it hangs up on the sleeve that it is supposed to slide in and out on. Maybe something is hanging up. Pics may help us better understand the problem. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc said thank you

#3 lyall OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,709 Thanks
  • 1,381 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 04:30 PM

Have you greased or oil the variator pivot bolt? 

Put graphic power on the variator?

checked the spring for the secondary spring for the transaxle?

check the pivot point for the secondary spring on the transalxe?

tighten up the variator spring ( eye bolt)?

I think you might have a weak secondary spring for the4 transalxe and might need to tighten up the variator spring.

good luck

• Alc said thank you