• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AndyS OFFLINE  

AndyS
  • Member No: 73751
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 08:34 AM

I have a Ford LGT16D garden tractor that I have owned for 8 years. I bought it with only 200 hours on it because my dad had a 14D which he had great luck with.

In the last two years I have noticed that the tractor starts to lose power over time as it runs. When I start mowing my lawn I can go anywhere in high range, but within 30 minutes I have to drop to low range to go up even a slight incline. It even struggled to just move forward from a dead stop at the end of an hour. The motor doesn't appear to be losing power. I believe the issue is in the hydrostatic transmission. Perhaps a seal or something starts to leak buy once the fluid heard up or something?

Our local ford dealer has been little help. They are telling me that parts aren't even available.

I was hoping someone could point me in a direction. I'm not sure if this is a known problem with these tractors or if someone else out there had experienced a similar issue. My dad and I are capable of tearing into anything, but would like an idea of where to start. Possibly eliminating the simple things first with some pointed advice.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Welcome to GTT. That is a very cool machine you have.  The dealer here told a friend that the brakes were not repairable on his YT 16 and that he should just buy a new tractor and leave the old with them. I repaired the brakes for $7 with parts from NAPA.

Checkout our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day) for the shop manual. I would suspect that you need a transmission fluid and filter change. Then try to diagnose the remaining problem. I've seen even dealers put the wrong fluid into machines. Those hydrostatic tranys are pretty indestructable, its usually something small. If you find you need parts, check with our sponsors. They've found things for me. Good Luck, Rick

Owners Manual;   http://gardentractor...tors-manualpdf/

You will have to dig for the shop manual because I don't know who made your GT. There is a separate group of transmission mauals if you can identify yours. Post pics with your questions for clairity.

Edited by boyscout862, August 01, 2015 - 08:53 AM.

#3 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 729 Thanks
  • 632 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 10:07 AM

Welcome to GTT. Nice to see fellow PA GT lovers (sometimes haters) on here. Hope you e joy. Lots of knowledge floating around these pages.

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 11:08 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#5 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 11:08 AM

I would first look at the trans-axle to see who made it? It could be as simple a stuck relief valve or as complicated as a worn pump assembly ?