Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

anyone replaced an AC compressor clutch?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Tested the Coil in the compressor clutch on my Ranger last weekend, came out bad. 

http://www.autozone....29_144899_5560/

Anyone changed one?  Do I need a fancy puller?

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 10:10 AM

I had to pull my clutch last year and remove a shim to get mine to stay on.  I just had to break the center bolt loose, remove the belt and carefully pull the clutch off.  Mine would run but then after a few minutes it would kick out.  A friend of mine, who is a mechanic, said to remove one of the shims behind the clutch because the contacts had to much air gap.  It worked took me less the 30 minutes to get it done.

PS: This was on a 2000 Dodge Dakota.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#3 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 10:39 AM

I removed my  pulley last week to replace the bearing. It was surprisingly easy, only took 15 minutes. Remove bolt and lock ring, pulley came off easy and then a bit of prying on pulley to remove it. Its been a week,,,now I forget if the clutch came off,,don't think so..I also had to install a idler pulley as mine was missing. So for $60. parts plus refrigerant and the leak stop stuff my AC now works but it won't shut off. I tried removing shims but then AC won't kick in so I will drive with AC on for the next month then just remove the belt until next summer. I am doing a 1200  mile road trip and wife decided I should fix AC. The AC unit in your picture looks the same as the one in my toyota.

Many of these compressors are interchangeable between vehicles.. I can swap the compressor out of my Toyota with a Kia sportage of certain years.

Edited by Jazz, July 31, 2015 - 10:50 AM.

• Alc and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 11:28 AM

Snap ring pliers.

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 12:00 PM

Looked up some pictures seems 90 degree snap ring plier are a must.

I'll give it a try.  I was worried about it being stuck on the shaft, but seems that might not be as bad as I thought.  I might have to remove the upper radiator hose as its right in front of the clutch. 

Thanks guys.  I'm going to take this tomorrow morning if its not 95 degree with 100% humidity.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and Marty'70 have said thanks

#6 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 12:48 PM

My 90 degree snap ring pliers kept slipping off so removed ring with two small picks,,,not that much tension on small ring. Once the ring was removed I drilled the holes out a hair so my snap ring pliers would fit and hold tight!

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,628 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 01:54 PM

I changed out one on my F250 about 12 years ago.  Don't remember much about it but it didn't give me any trouble and no special tools were required. 

GOOD LUCK!!

#8 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 03:15 PM

I changed the magnet coil on my old Gmc some years back and I needed a special puller to remove the clutch part,Havent tried to do one of the newer ones----Sorry I 'am no help.

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 03:57 PM

I had a Bronco II that had to have AC work and the garage had some "special" tools top do he job.
Be careful, as lots of compressors have a special seal on the shaft.

#10 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 08:09 PM

Aaron, I just went down and looked at mine. It's the same truck. Looks like you remove the snapring and the small possibly 8mm wrench size bolt(quick look). When I worked at a truck stop about 10 yrs ago there were clutches that looked similar that I used a fine threaded bolt to use as a pusher bolt and pressed the pulley off. After you remove the bolt and snapring, look at it and see if there are threads of in there. Just a possibility.

#11 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 08:15 PM

Sorry jumped to conclusions. Just followed your link and may not come apart like I said.. Sorry. Kinda looks like you remove the snapring and bolt and just comes apart.. Maybe kinda easy. My clutch and compressor are good just got a bad leak.. Works for about 2 weeks on a charge. Come on over and we can swap parts. I live with the 2-55 a\c lol. Kinda sucks lately though.

Edited by Marty'70, July 31, 2015 - 08:19 PM.

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for taking a look.

I'm thinking it just pulls off. I got to look at it more closely this afternoon. I'll see what happens. Looks like bolt. Snap ring and pop off. Is it ever that simple though.

The AC worked perfect when I parked it awhile ago this time around....I'll fix it recharge and see what happens. I need to get the truck to wv and a friend of mine down there to weld the cab corner in. AC is important part of that.

Truck sits in my attached garage in Ohio. I got the parts last week and I couldn't compare.

Edited by toomanytoys84, July 31, 2015 - 09:04 PM.

#13 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 09:56 PM

I went to 3 different A/C shops to have them adjust the air gap on my compressor clutch because when things got hot under the hood the clutch wouldn't engage due to the magnetic field getting weak due to heat so things got a little warm inside until it cooled enough to re-engage. NOOOO, they wanted to change the whole compressor to the tune of $300 to $400!! I finally ordered the $25 special tool to remove/ install the clutch. Removed it, looked over the face and lining, reinstalled it and got the air gap set proper and it's worked fine ever since.

Mike

• HDWildBill said thank you