#1 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 11:43 AM

BAD DAY!!! My Clutch Slave went in the Truck last night.:mecry:IT GETS WORSE! :wallbanging: I was just removing the Clutch Slave and one of the Ears / Eyeleys that the two Bolts go through Broke off! It's in a Terrible place that I can't even think about welding, Fuel lines, Brake lines etc. Very Close by, very tight quarters, plus I don't think the white metal ??? of the Bell Housing can be welded good...So, I'm thinking about using some Steel Epoxy to reshape the Ear / Eyelet Hole... Is there any Brand that you guys have used that is Stronger than others? I've used JB Weld and the Steel Epoxy that NAPA sells to plug holes before but never for something like this that requires strength. Any Advice at all would be Greatly Appreciated.

Edited by DanO, April 06, 2011 - 11:50 AM.

#2 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 06:08 PM

WOW,WHAT A LET DOWN GUYS !!!

I expected to log on tonight and see all kinds of Wise Advice on how to solve this problem and there was ZIP, NADDA, ZERO Tips, Advice or Comments at all.......I guess I'm the only Dummy that's ever done this before?
Oh Well..... looks like I'm Gonna Have to Call My Old Friend Rube Goldberg to Save the Day!

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 07:06 PM

I honestly haven't tried anything other then JB. I think if you can clean the area really good and also use sand paper or a grinding wheel to get some roughness in the metal for the JB to adhere to it may work. If you can get a mig welder into position that may be the way to go since there is force on the slave cylinder. If you have a welders coat you can use that to protect the other areas. I don't think I would trust JB or any metal epoxy for a mounting location that is going to have to support that much force.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 07:08 PM

WOW,WHAT A LET DOWN GUYS !!!

I expected to log on tonight and see all kinds of Wise Advice on how to solve this problem and there was ZIP, NADDA, ZERO Tips, Advice or Comments at all.......I guess I'm the only Dummy that's ever done this before?
Oh Well..... looks like I'm Gonna Have to Call My Old Friend Rube Goldberg to Save the Day!

This is the first I seen your thread pop up in the what's new, I don't think I went through enough of them to find it until you replied to it and it was up top. I also think nobody will really want to say something will work and have it end up failing on you. I really think welding an ear back on is the way to go. Just make sure you protect the gas and brake lines and any other areas. Might not be the prettiest weld but I would trust an ugly weld more then I would a pretty JB weld LOL.

#5 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 07:20 PM

:wallbanging:Sorry me no no

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 07:51 PM

A pic would do more to draw advice for sure. BUT, in a case like this, IF you could form a thick strap, say at least 1/16" thick, & shape it to reach both sides, bending to fit the body of the slave, then drill holes for the bolts. The strap will keep the bolt in place without pulling off to the side & hold the slave down tight. That is IF there is enough of the hole left on the slave to grab the bolt & prevent the slave from pushing itself backwards & twisting.
  • DanO said thank you

#7 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 08:10 PM

A pic would do more to draw advice for sure. BUT, in a case like this, IF you could form a thick strap, say at least 1/16" thick, & shape it to reach both sides, bending to fit the body of the slave, then drill holes for the bolts. The strap will keep the bolt in place without pulling off to the side & hold the slave down tight. That is IF there is enough of the hole left on the slave to grab the bolt & prevent the slave from pushing itself backwards & twisting.

Good Idea...That's kinda the Road I way Headed Down..."Great Minds Think Alike, Fools Seldom Differ!"This Slave Cylinder is in such a Terrible location, it's like it was installed FIRST, then the Truck Cab was placed on Top, with the Frame on one side & the Trani on the other !! There is allmost no room to work and pretty impossible to get up there with a camera to take a Pic. I'm Not Gonna Sleep Tonight Just Thinking about this Darn Thing.....Gotta Solve This Problem ASAP I Need My Truck

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 10:03 PM

One problem I see here is that the make, madel, engine, and trans model have been ommitted from the post. A pic woulf at least give me a clue as to what we are working on. If the strap/support doesn't work, I'm thinking you will need a bellhousing. ( if it is seperate from the trans.) I don't think JB will hold a slave cyl in normal, operation.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 10:09 PM

It may be hit-n-miss

i used some of that stuff that you kneed together last time I was in a pickle & it's still holding. It was helping hold a nut in place, so it's not really the same thing, but it was easier to get putty in place than liquid (JB). You may try layering with some mesh in there somewhere (like rebar) and give it a try. Nothing to lose but a couple of evenings I guess.

#10 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 08:12 AM

I Just wanted to wrap up this thread i started and share some info on this product I used. It's called QuikSteel By CarGo Sold over the counter at most NAPA stores. I used this stuff to shape & fabricate a broken ear on my bell housing case for the clutch slave mount and I'm telling you this stuff is Incredible. It does everything it claims it can do. I even had a 2 inch piece left over and just for the hell of it i mixed it up and stuck 2 bolts togeather, the next morning I wacked at it with a hammer & the bolts did not seperate. I was so impressed by this stuff that i went back to NAPA and bought 2 more tubes to keep in my shop & truck tool box for emergency repairs.....just thought I'd pass it on.

Attached Thumbnails

• QT ROLL.jpg
  • DSC02386.JPG

#11 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 09:04 AM

WOW, that sound like incredible stuff.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 09:11 AM

Glad the repair held for you Dan. I was uncomfortable recommending any of the epoxy materials due to the load the slave cylinder takes. I hope it holds long term for you. That Quicksteel stuff sounds like some good epoxy. I read the directions that you posted, amazing you can even apply it under water with just a longer curing time.

#13 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 09:19 AM

George, I realy have No Doubt it will Hold...there are a lot of very simular looking products on the market but I did some research & believe me None Compare to this stuff, as you see in the Application page, it is also excellent for Gas & Diesel Leak repairs. Although it does harden in less than 1/2 hour I left my repair Overnight before testing it.
Hope this Posting will help more guys out with mending problems.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 04:44 PM

Seen that stuff for years, but never tried it. I may just pick some up now to keep on hand!

#15 tex tractor jack OFFLINE  

tex tractor jack

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1854
  • 41 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 05:22 PM

Sorry I saw this so late, but it is likely that the bell housing is aluminum alloy material and welding in place would have been a poor choice as well. The material you used I have had good results with. I have drilled and taped threads into it that held up well.

good luck

Jack