• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 10:20 PM

Nice, I needed that.
I just got a Mac and am planning on putting it on a sears mule drive platform somehow. This tells me the capabilities (it wasn't even being taxed by those branches, was it?)

#3 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • Member No: 10251
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 10:38 PM

I never even knew I needed one of these for my 1050 until right now.  That is awesome.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#4 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 393 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 04:51 AM

Now you need a conveyor to take the chips to a dump trailer that is hooked to the 1050
  • Alc said thank you

#5 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 06:37 AM

Great video I love mine. If you have leaves it works great.  I use mine without the exit screen to mulch my leaves. If you run them through a few times it works great and the wetter the leaves are the better. You can use the exit screen but just run a branch through every now and then to clean out the screen. Have fun!

• Alc said thank you

#6 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 06:53 AM

I took a short video at the beginning of my mulching, as I got used to it I was feeding the larger branches, I would say the biggest ones were close to 2" and very long, it handled it with no problem at all.

Quite happy with it, it's more capable than I expected!

I only have cedars and Pines at home so I probably won't get to mulch leaves though.
  • Alc said thank you

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 07:17 AM

Looks like it's working pretty danged good :thumbs:  :thumbs:

I would make two suggestions.

1. Safety glasses

2. Don't feed it facing the intake.  I prefer to stand at the front of the tractor and feed it from the side so I'm not facing the intake.

• Alc and Bmerf have said thanks

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 07:42 AM

Looks like it works Great!

Now I'm going to have to find one! :D

#9 nyrobbie77 OFFLINE  

nyrobbie77

• Member No: 2163
  • 90 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 07:47 AM

very nice.  I picked one up a couple years ago to do a conversion to mount it to my 1250.  It's still just sitting in the garage.  Bolens1000, want to make an offer?

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#10 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 08:47 AM

To those interested there is also guy on cl in new Hampshire selling one, he mentions it's for a tubeframe but I believe he has the long driveshaft (its hard to say from the low resolution pics), so it's probably the rear mounted one for the bigger tractors.
  • Rock farmer said thank you

#11 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 11:54 AM

To those interested there is also guy on cl in new Hampshire selling one, he mentions it's for a tubeframe but I believe he has the long driveshaft (its hard to say from the low resolution pics), so it's probably the rear mounted one for the bigger tractors.

They mounted on the rear of the tube frames also with a long drive shaft.  Some mounted on the front like you have. Here is my front one and my rear one that is not yet restored.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC09788.JPG
  • DSC09668.JPG

• Alc and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#12 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Husky, so if I understand it correctly the rear mounted ones also mounted to the front?

That's what it seems like from the pictures you posted, the shredder is much further from the tractor on the front.

your shredder also looks much bigger than mine.

• Alc said thank you

#13 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 03:02 PM

No, the front mounted one is different than the rear mounted one. I took a front mounted one and had to modify it to fit  a rear mounted chipper onto it. Basically the rear mounted chipper I had spun the wrong way when mounted on the front. So I modified the front mounted one to change the direction of the mount points allowing me to mount it onto the front and have it spin in the correct direction. Kind of weird but I wanted a front mounted chipper but could not find one so I made it work...

#14 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 08:07 AM

Note that Chubien's attachment is based on MacKissic's 9P shredder, while Husky's attachment is based on MacKissic's 12P chipper/shredder.  ....The shredder portion is the same on both models, but the 12P has the chipper flywheel and side hopper, while the 9P does not.

The early 9P models had the low (short) hopper like Chubien's.  ....All 12P's had the taller (longer) hopper like Husky's.  .....When the tall hopper was introduced with the 12P, all 9P's from then on had the tall hopper. 

Chubien's attachment does not allow the Bolens hood to be opened very much while the attachment is installed.

I don't remember clearly, but I think the extra length added to the front-mount unit (to allow the hood to open) created a problem (frame cracking ??), so the rear-mount units were introduced.

• Husky, LPBolens, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#15 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 11:32 AM

Note that Chubien's attachment is based on MacKissic's 9P shredder, while Husky's attachment is based on MacKissic's 12P chipper/shredder.  ....The shredder portion is the same on both models, but the 12P has the chipper flywheel and side hopper, while the 9P does not.

The early 9P models had the low (short) hopper like Chubien's.  ....All 12P's had the taller (longer) hopper like Husky's.  .....When the tall hopper was introduced with the 12P, all 9P's from then on had the tall hopper. 

Chubien's attachment does not allow the Bolens hood to be opened very much while the attachment is installed.

I don't remember clearly, but I think the extra length added to the front-mount unit (to allow the hood to open) created a problem (frame cracking ??), so the rear-mount units were introduced.

That is good info that I never knew about. Don't go by my front mount setup... it is definitely a frankenstein. I used the base from one unit and the tall  hopper from another unit. I used the basic front mount frame, cut it in 1/2 and then added length to it to allow the hood to open. I also had to make a pto stub shaft to lengthen the pto shaft, an idler pulley for the belt tension and also welded on plates to mount casters to take up the additional weight of it hanging off the front so far. This frankenstein works well though.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you