• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Slaminbrews OFFLINE  

Slaminbrews
  • Member No: 72668
  • 24 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 08:17 PM

I have a case 220 with a 12hp Kohler engine... With hydro lift blade/deck. Anyways I'm thinking about building a small log splitter and was wondering if there was any way to run the hydrolic ram/cylinder off of the mower hydrolic pump? Anybody know the gpm on them? Or if it's even possible? Thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 10:07 PM

Yes. I saw one 35years ago. I think that it used the same hydraulics as the tiller. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 07:32 AM

Case and Ingersoll still make splitters for these.  They run off the rear pto like Rick said.  tow behind or 3pth.  Single or double action.  They are hard to find $$$ might could make your own.  Pump flows 10gpm you should get all the fluid out of the splitter so it don't bung your drive oil.

Personally for less money i'd buy an old tow behind with its own motor save wear and tear on your Kohler and a lot less work probly run faster too, good luck

#4 Slaminbrews OFFLINE  

Slaminbrews
  • Member No: 72668
  • 24 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 05:20 PM

I think I'm going to try to disconnect the hydrolic lift cylinder and put quick connects on and try to run it that way. It's all free so it's worth a try.

#5 Diesel1050 OFFLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 343 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 06:57 PM

Bad idea. You would be much, much better off getting a hydraulic pto for it and then buying or building a splitter from that. You are going to want the lift cylinder for attatchments and if you ever go to sell it you will lose most if all of its value by hacking the hydro system. Just my 02. Cents!

#6 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 12 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 09:56 AM

I think I'm going to try to disconnect the hydrolic lift cylinder and put quick connects on and try to run it that way. It's all free so it's worth a try.

That is not a good idea.  two issues: first, the lift circuit is limited to about 575psi by the relief in the valve  Second, those small lines will take forever to move a large cylinder

You  need to follow the Case plan for running a splitter.  The pump output should go first to the PTO valve .  that makes all the pump flow available to the splitter and the pressure is controlled by the PTO valve's relief..

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 10:34 AM

I'm glad this thread was started , I always wanted a Case because I thought it had strong enough hydraulics so you could run log splitters and such without an extra pump ?  Different models ?

#8 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 12 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 01:23 PM

I'm glad this thread was started , I always wanted a Case because I thought it had strong enough hydraulics so you could run log splitters and such without an extra pump ?  Different models ?

Yes they do have strong enough hydraulics.  you just need to install as I outlined above, which is the Case recommended method.

Pump to pto, pto to main control valve.  When the pto valve is open the attachment receives all the pump flow before any other use.

• Alc said thank you

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 03:00 PM